Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Inka is getting big bulges on the sides

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Inca is pregnant and still has atleast 4-5 weeks left to go and she is getting really big bulges on the sides. My husband and I were trying to guess how many babies she will have. He guesses 5-6 I think 3-4 hmm I wonder who is right. Is there a way to tell for sure by looking at her or feeling without a x-ray or ultrasound?

And if anyone else wants to guess I can upload a picture later but she is getting big quickly.

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
No, you won't be able to tell for sure just by looking at her or feeling her.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
If one the sides are uneven you probably have an uneven number. The average litter is 2-3..so I'd have to go with 2-4. You can never really tell by looking. Guinea pigs tend to get HUGE when they're preggo.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Both sides seem to be even so it is probably an even number but like I said she seems to already be huge.

phoenixstar17

Cavy Slave
My piggy was one month pregnant when I got her.
I couldn't even tell she was because she looked so small.
She had 4 babies.
So if your piggy has another 4 weeks to go your possibly having more than 4 ^_^ Of course that is depending on your description so far
That's just a prediction.

Anyway I wish you piggies well and hope she has healthy pups.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can try to palpate the number in her belly but it is hard to go. A x ray or ultrasound would tell you for sure.

5 to 6 is a large litter - it is more likely 2 to 3 unless she has had a litter before.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The would be her 2nd litter since the first litter ended in a delivery of one stillborn back in may of this year. That pregnancy was accidental due to a missexed male being in the cage with her. This time it happened because one of my determined males managed to climb over the devided grid wall to get to my females and I got lucky that only one ended up pregnant but of course it would have been better if neither was but after haveing the pre-emtive spay explained to me and all the possible things that could go wrong or happen durng the proceeder and the possibility of her doing fine with continueing the pregnancy and the outcomes is almost the same it seems.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
The would be her 2nd litter since the first litter ended in a delivery of one stillborn back in may of this year. That pregnancy was accidental due to a missexed male being in the cage with her. This time it happened because one of my determined males managed to climb over the devided grid wall to get to my females and I got lucky that only one ended up pregnant but of course it would have been better if neither was but after haveing the pre-emtive spay explained to me and all the possible things that could go wrong or happen durng the proceeder and the possibility of her doing fine with continueing the pregnancy and the outcomes is almost the same it seems.
Well at least both were accidental. So regular grids are separating males and females? To keep it from happening again, I would try these grids to separate them: (broken link removed)

Anyway, I think it would be helpful if we saw a picture. I have no expereince with pregnancy but I'm sure a few have :)

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I have redone the cages again since this happened and the 3 girls are in a 2x8 L shaped cage in one room and the boys are in a 2x6 cage in another room and this seems to be working really well for now.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Inka, can have her babies anytime between Sept. 15th and the 28th. I have tied to see how many babies she will have by filling and I am petty sure it is a large litter since it feels like their is 4-5 sacks for sure but hubby thinks she is haveing 6.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Just a little update, Inka lost all the babies but she is doing fine.

mayamoo

Cavy Slave
Poor girl. I'm glad to hear she is doing OK now.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear that. At least she won't have any more pregnancies.

~Cooper~

Cavy Slave
Oh, my! I am so sorry to hear she lost them! Poor girl, but like akstrohm at least she won't have any more pregnancies! ((hugs))

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Yeah, your right, and thanks everyone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.