Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Lice/Mites

Taurus

Cavy Slave
English isn't my first language so please be patient with me. I'm trying to make this thread understandable for you to read. Thank you.

My roommate got his two guinea pigs in Jan 09. I did a lot research for him. I noticed these guinea pigs were itching a lot since that day. I told my roommate to take guinea pigs to vet for check-up. He took these pigs to banfield (sp?) *its specific on cats and dogs.. little knowledge on small rodent pets* The vet told him that she didn't see any lice or mites on guinea pigs. Then we didn't do anything about until late may 09. I was about to go home for summer. *I'm college student fyi* I noticed the white/yellow spot was moving around on one of two guinea pigs. I told him I knew I was right at first place. I told him that I'll take these guinea pigs with me and find right vet for pigs. He agreed and let me take care of his guinea pigs.
My local vet (know a lot about rodents for 15 years) told me that I'm right since jan 09. Guinea pigs do have lice. I saw her petting pigs backward. I noticed a lot of black spots coming out of pigs' fur. She told me to use Blue Cat Med. (I think that is what it called) for severa weeks. I did what she told me to do. I replaced fleece and clean cage every 2 to 3 days.
In July 09, Blue cat med was out. I checked Pig's head. I see white spots still there and black spots was still coming out of pigs' fur when I was petting backward. I called vet again for another treatment.
Now, This week I don't see any white spot on guinea pigs' fur but black spots was coming out of their fur when i aws petting them backward. I wasn't sure what was that or it's normal for pigs?

Should I get another treatment for third time? I wish these black bugs spot thing will stop ****ing each other to make more babies of black tiny spots. :(

Taurus

Cavy Slave
Its been almost a day.

Help my guinea pigs?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, you should treat them again. I'm not sure what Blue Cat Med is or if it is safe/effective in guinea pigs. You can get ivermectin and treat them yourself--you don't need another vet appointment. Look it up on Guinea Lynx to find information on dosage. Revolution and Advantage are other good treatments.

Just so you know, you cannot see mites (ivermectin will kill mites as well). Never let a vet do a skin scraping--they are painful and not accurate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.