Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Best way to feed a piggie his yogurt?

L

LisaGlitterz4MC

Best way to feed a piggie his yogurt?

Since Sunflower is on antibiotics, his vet wants us to feed him some plain yogurt with live cultures to replace the good bacteria in his intestines. He does NOT like it at all, so tonight we had to inject it into his mouth using the syringe (obviously with no needle) from his antibiotics. He was so upset, and we hate putting him through it... do any of you know an easier way to go about it? Perhaps a way to flavor the yogurt so he'll actually eat it on his own? Looking forward to your responses.

- Lisa & Kelley

L

LisaGlitterz4MC

By the way...

By the way, I just wanted to note that Sunny's antibiotics are cherry flavored, and he does like it... so that's not a traumatic thing for him to endure twice a day. :) The yogurt is another story.

- Lisa & Kelley

P

peachygrl

Re: By the way...

I've never had to do this, so I'm just guessing here - but doesn't flavored yogurt have live cultures too? perhaps it would be okay to give him flavored yogurt (cherry yogurt maybe?). Also - can't you get acidophilous (sp?) capsules at the drug store? Maybe you can dilute those in a small amount of say carrot juice and give to him that way? I dunno, maybe Briana or CavySpirit has a better idea.

L

LisaGlitterz4MC

By the way...

I just read a post on the guinea pig digest about mixing acidophilus powder with diluted cranberry-apple juice. I'm waiting to hear the exact measurements, and I might give that a try tomorrow. The flavored yogurt idea sounds good, but does it have less live cultures than the plain? I honestly don't know, I'm just trying to figure out why the vet stressed plain over flavored... Whatever we end up doing, I'll let you know how it turns out. :D Thanks for the reply!

- Lisa & Kelley

P

peachygrl

flavored?

Maybe because the flavored stuff has more sugar? I dunno. But then I don't know how good the artificial sweeteners in the sugar-free stuff would be for a piggie. There's always something... ;)

R

roozy

flavor the plain yogurt

You could try juicing an apple or pear or some other fruit that your piggie likes and mixing it in with the plain yogurt. That way there is nothing added that he wouldn't already eat normally.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: flavor the plain yogurt

Go to the drug store or health food store and get some acidophilous caplets--the kind that are in the clear plastic capsule that you can break open.

Break open one of those and mix in with whatever else you want to feed him, cranberry juice, orange juice, critical care, pellet slurry, etc.

But, IF you have another healthy guinea pig (and every pig needs a pal, so hopefully you do), get some fresh healthy poops from that pig and make a mash with it. That works faster and better than anything else.

I do not like using yogurt. GPs are lactose intolerant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.