Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello

Aquena

Cavy Slave
Hello everybody!

My Name is Nadine, and I am a first time owner of Guinea Pigs - and I am very happy about it! We live on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.

We adopted 2 females - Emma and Bella - the end of June 2009. Soon I realized Bella was pregnant and she delivered 4 healthy pups on August 8, 2009. I plan to keep 2 of the 4 (Of course I really dread having to part with any of the babies!) I have decided not to keep any boars - but so far I have not been able to determine if ANY are indeed boys. I will be bringing the weaned pups to our local Animal Rescue League, who take adoption very seriously and demand pictures of a large enough cage be shown before adoption, and they are very choosy about who actually get to adopt, so I feel confidant they will do the very best.

I built my 70x28 plus ramp and 2nd level C&C cage for less money than a "Large Guinea Pig" cage they sell at pet stores, it did not take me long to figure out my kids needed more space to play and live.

Since then I have been tweaking and changing things a bit in my cage, in the hopes that it is the most comfortable and clean cage it can be. I really appreciate reading threads and posts here, and I am still learning a lot!

I have already met some very nice people here, and I am looking forward to being a part of this community!

Nadine -Emma, Bella & Honey, Molly, Jackson and Beatrix

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Remember to sex them and seperate any boy on day 21 which is the 29 th of august or the boys could get the mom, auntie and any sisters pregnant. I f you are unsure of the sex or don't know how check guinealinx for good pictures on how to sex them.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
Yes thank you...I have read to separate them at 19 days as long as they are weaning and healthy? Is this too early? I have already made arrangements for 2 (or all boars) to go to the local Animal Rescue League for adoption - in all I will keep 2 hopefully because I think 3 are girls, and maybe Jackson is a boy. I was thinking on going to the vet a week before they should be separated to have them sexed by the pro!

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!
Good luck with the babies and I hope the ones you can't keep fine wonderful homes!
I think the earliest your allowed to separate is 21 days.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Aquena

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Everybody has been so nice and helpful here...I am learning how to use this site day by day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.