PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Pregnant Skinny any help appreciated LONG

crazyaboutpigs
08-11-09, 08:27 am
Good morning! I have been an avid lurker on this site for years, and generally am able to find the information that I have needed through search, but now I really need some help.

A little over a month ago I adopted 3 skinny pigs from the shelter that I work at. I needed them like a hole in the head, but they were so darn ugly cute that I took them all. Two are females and one is a male. They were brought in in separate carriers, so my hope was that they were not pregnant as they were also very young. The little boy went in with my other 3 boys and the girls got their own cage...of course! I have owned piggies for almost 10 years, but ALWAYS boys because I never wanted to deal with babies. The time that I made the exception, it bit me in the butt!

The girls started to get plump and although this worried me a little, I wasn't too alarmed as the boy was also getting quite plump. (before you ask, yes I am sure that he is a boy, I am very good at gendering piggies!) The skinny's eat almost constantly because they burn through it so quickly so plump is not really a huge surprise.

So I noticed that my very large piggies sides started moving. I knew what this meant and we went to the vet yesterday. He confirmed that she is very pregnant, but had no idea how far along. Yay...sarcastically.

So now I'm so worried that I am actually nauseous. I'm taking my other girl to the vet today to see if she is also pregnant. I have a very good vet, but I have read conflicting information and I want to get it right. I have NEVER done this before and I don't want to lose my piggies.

So let me do the run down.

Piggies have NEVER come in contact with my males. They have never even been close enough to smile at each other let alone breed. No play time together, nothing. I have had the girls for just over 4 weeks.

Piggies get fresh fruit and vegies from my garden daily, eat oxbow gp pellets and get hay daily.

I use vitamin c in their water as a suppliment.

They are caged in CC cages with fleece bedding. They are caged together and quite bonded.

Now for the questions.

Do I need to separate the girls. My vet said that if the second one is pregnant, the first going into labor could trigger her to go into labor and if she is not as far along, it could cause problem. I worry about seperating them as they love eachother.

Is the food/vitamin C an appropriate mix for them?

Is there anything that I can do to up my chances of saving my sweet girls? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm attaching a pic of my girl to help show her size. I'm not sure if that will help, but I'm just reaching here.

Please any help is very appreciated. There is nothing that I won't do for them and if more vet care is needed, money is no object! My piggies are my family!

akstrohm
08-11-09, 09:41 am
Wow, she is huge! I'm sure she got pregnant before you got her, and it looks like she could deliver very soon.

There are a few things you should do:
-Stop putting vitamin drops in the water. They degrade very quickly, so they are basically useless. Plus they can make the water taste different so the pigs drink less. Just make sure you feed a variety of veggies. 1/8 pepper per pig per day will provide enough vitamin C.

-Make sure your vet is good with guinea pigs. If he isn't, get a new one lined up ASAP. Have a plan in case there is an emergency during off hours. Read up on possible complications and what to do if they arise.

-Feed alfalfa pellets if you're not doing so already (or another form of extra calcium, but pellets will be easy).

-I have never heard of one pig triggering another to go into labor too early, but I'm not a vet. You could have a vet do an ultrasound on the other pig to verify if she is pregnant. How big is she? Is she gaining weight as quickly as the other girl? My guess is that if one is so far along and the other not showing any signs, that the other is probably not pregnant, but that could be wrong. If she is not pregnant, however, they should definitely stay together.

I'm sorry you got stuck in this position. I hope the birth goes smoothly!

Skeetersmom
08-11-09, 09:58 am
Wow, that is a big pregnant belly. If you feel the base of the spine where the hip are you can feel two bumps. Those bumps will seperate as she gets closer to delivery. My girl's spread about a finger space apart. Once that happens, it usually is within 24 hours of delivery. Good luck!

Rnd210
08-11-09, 10:20 am
I have read that if one guinea pig goes into labor that it may trigger the other to go into labor. I don't think it has really been proven. I think since it says may that it is merely speculation or simply a myth or a misconception about guinea pigs. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

You don't want to cause any undue stress to either of girls so close to delivery day, so do not seperate. Make sure the pregnant one has a lot of extra soft things to lay aroung as she probably lay a lot more as delivery day gets closer.

Paula
08-11-09, 10:46 am
You don't need to add vitamin C to their water. If you want to supplement with C, try something like Oxbow's C tabs. Akstrohm's bell pepper suggestion is a great one as well.

Do you know their ages or if they have had litters previously? If they're young or have had prior litters, the risks are fewer.

In additon to Alfalfa hay, you might start giving them parsley or another veggie that's high in calcium and protein daily.

rabbitsncavyluv
08-11-09, 11:33 am
Ditto - no vit c in their water. It is pretty useless and sometimes harmful. If you want to supplement vit c, get plain vit c tablets or liquid and offer it directly.

Read http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html too

What the vet said is technically true but it is rare and not a big issue unless you suspect the other one is pregnant but not as far along.

How long have you had them? Good luck.

Ibbet
08-11-09, 11:43 am
Everyone said what I was gonna say, so I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the pregnancy, the momma, and the babies.

On a side note: I love skinnies. I want one badly and if a shelter close to me ever has them, I'll get one.

Good luck again!

crazyaboutpigs
08-11-09, 12:35 pm
Thank you to all! Unfortunatly, my other one is also pregnant. The vet said that she could feel the babies. All the vet could tell me without doing an ultrasound is that either she is not as far along as the other one or that she doesn't have as many babies. Stressed is not even close to how I feel right now. I'm not an idiot..lol...I knew that it could be a possibility because we did not have any information on them, but I really didn't think that it would happen to both of them. Vet can't do an ultrasound because they don't have an ultrasound machine. She didn't want to do an xray because they only do it on an emergency basis late in pregnancy and this is not an emergency in her opinion. I did go out today and purchase everything to make another cage and baby proof both of them if I need to seperate them. Vitamins in the water is now gone! :) I have been giving them fresh green peppers, kale, greeen leaf and carrots out of my garden. I can up the quantities if I need to! Big momma pig (Hippo) did look very large to me, but because I have never seen a pregnant pig, I really didn't know how to compare her size. Off to see if I can figure out the pelvic bone thing. Please pray that my pigs come out of this ok. They were not but a few months old when I got them so I hope that they can get through this. I have located an emergency vet in case there is a problem also!

akstrohm
08-11-09, 01:34 pm
It sounds like you're well prepared. I would add more veggies to their diet though--pigs need a lot of variety!

Good luck!

crazyaboutpigs
08-11-09, 02:21 pm
Because they are both pregnant, should I separate them or keep them together. I don't want to stress them by separating them, but I don't know if it's best to do so.

Skeetersmom
08-11-09, 02:42 pm
I would keep them together. They help each other take care of the babies as long as they get along well. No reason to stress them and separate. When mine had babies, the girls stayed together.

momof1kid3piggi
08-11-09, 03:22 pm
It would Be best to keep them together. I had my females together during the whole pregnancy Of one of my pigs. (accidental Unknown when I got her same as you) But they where fine together. The other female that didnt have babies would wash off The babies and help the mom with other things. They loved the time together with all the babies.

crazyaboutpigs
08-11-09, 03:37 pm
Great! I had them apart for a day until I took the other to the vet. I just put them back together and they were SO happy to see each other. Hippo even tried to popcorn, not very successfully, but she definitely tried! So I guess I'm about as prepared as I can be, now if the fear that I feel would just subside a bit.

krittercrazy
08-11-09, 04:18 pm
I feel for you. Have you decided about keeping all the babies or not? She is way bigger that my one girl that I adopted pregnant. She had 4 babies. Read the nutrition charts and baby proof your cavy cages. I hope everything turns out well for both girls and their babies.

Peggysu
08-11-09, 06:49 pm
Good Luck, I hope it all works out.

crazyaboutpigs
08-11-09, 06:54 pm
There is no way that I can keep them all! LOL The skinny's eat almost constantly because of their metabolism and if I kept all of the babies, I would go broke fast! The shelter that I volunteer at has already said that they would add the babies to their website to help find homes. Until then, there is always room here though!

I spent all night sewing up pillows and curtains. They should be set. Comfy bedding, fresh hay, pellets and lots of greens.

If anyone else has any advice, it will definitely be appreciated. Thanks again every one!

I added another picture of my big girl. It was taken a couple of days after I got her. You can see the before pic! :)

JessicaS
08-11-09, 07:16 pm
Crazyaboutpigs - where are you located? If I can convince my husband to let me take on another pig, I would be interested in adopting at least 1 when they are ready (most likely a female as I could integrate it better into my herd) and if he's really nice to me maybe 2. I am located in Maryland - in the metropolitan Baltimore area.

Sorry if you already posted your location, I couldn't seem to find it, but then again I'm pretty tired today and might not be reading everything as clearly as I usually do.

Rnd210
08-11-09, 07:32 pm
I would be interested in one of your babies too depending on where you are located.

crazyaboutpigs
08-11-09, 07:39 pm
I am in Ct, but make frequent trips down to MD where a friend of mine lives. :)

wigglesgiggles1
08-11-09, 07:48 pm
Good luck! Hope all works out.

Skeetersmom
08-11-09, 07:50 pm
I live in CT. I may be interested if you have any boys.

Rnd210
08-11-09, 08:39 pm
My hubby wants a skinny pig since I showed him a picture of one he just fell in love with ugly cute things. I have been looking and searching for about 4 months now with no luck and you are to far away for me so I will still be looking. I do hope everything goes well for little girls and all remains healthy and safe.

crazyaboutpigs
08-12-09, 06:25 am
If I have permission, I will definitely utilize this board to help place the babies in forever homes. When I thought that I had just one pregnant pig, I wasn't that worried. Now that I have 2 I am a little overwhelmed. Fortunately, I have extra grids and another sheet of chloroplast in the garage! LOL

Mommy pigs are still eating and drinking like....well pigs. Does their appetite change at all when they get closer? Thanks again everyone!

Rnd210
08-12-09, 10:00 am
I don't think their appetite changes, however they do seem to lay around more and not move around as much basically becoming lazier than normal the last few days before delivery.

You can place the babies for adoption on this site in the adoptables discussion area of the forum just remember to ask a rehomeing fee as to rule out those that want them for snake food. Poeple tend to take better care of pets that they have to pay for then ones they get for free.

fieryone
08-12-09, 10:31 am
Darn! I'm also in CT but there is no way my husband would go for another pig! Plus I have my hands full with my four. But I would suggest contacting the Critter Connection guinea pig rescue in Durham and see if they will help you find suitable homes for the babies. I contacted them once to find out info on their pigsitting services and Cindy was very nice! Connecticut's Guinea Pig Rescue Organization - The Critter Connection, Inc (http://www.ctguineapigrescue.org/)

Fudgenrolo
08-12-09, 12:53 pm
I don't have any advice but I wanted to wish you and your pigs well - I hope all works out.

I guess they're very lucky they have you to take care of them.

crazyaboutpigs
08-13-09, 10:54 am
No pups yet, but I think we may be getting close. I can't imagine Hippo getting much bigger. I went to check her pelvic bone this afternoon and It seems as though her tail bone is softer. It bends and I barely touched it. Normal? It wasn't that way yesterday!

Rnd210
08-13-09, 12:12 pm
It could be or it sounds like they ar starting to spread so I would say you might have babies in few days.

jordan
08-13-09, 01:02 pm
I thought babies showed up within 24 hours of the pelvic bone seperating..is that not correct?

Rnd210
08-13-09, 02:06 pm
I thought babies showed up within 24 hours of the pelvic bone seperating..is that not correct?

That is correct but the pelvic bones soften before they spread so basically since it is softer than yesterday than tomorrow it should be spread and then she should have the babies. It could be 1-3 days still before she has the babies.

crazyaboutpigs
08-13-09, 02:14 pm
The really sad thing for me is that they haven't been wheeking like usual. :( I know this is because they are so darn big, but I miss the wheeks. My boys wheek, so I'm not wheekless, but I miss my girl wheeks!

I am so worried about them! I don't think that my hippo can get much bigger!

Skeetersmom
08-13-09, 02:23 pm
Take a look at my profile gallery. Skittles got HUGE! She only had 3 babies but was literally dragging her back legs by the end. Her babies were pretty big though.

Rnd210
08-13-09, 02:24 pm
Your hippo at this point isn't going to get any bigger I wouldn't think but she should be resting a bit more or laying about as she is getting closer to delivery time. Your Girls should be back to their old wheeking selves shortly after they have their babies.

phoenixstar17
08-13-09, 02:38 pm
Good luck. I was silly enough to adopt a pregnant piggy too
She had her babies last weekend.
They make some weird noise 24 hours before they give birth
I remember that saturday, I just sat Amy on my lap and she made some really weird noise. I didn't know she was pregnant, so i thought she was a bit angry or something, so I put her back in her cage. xD After I got back from my dad's I had some cute babies in the cage. They're so precious. It's quite easy to get attatched to them once they're born. I'm only keeping one from her litter though.

I'm sure you'll probably have fun with them. They're great to watch. But good Luck to the momma pigs, and I hope everything goes ok with them.

Will you post some pictures when they're born?

jamie15701
08-13-09, 02:51 pm
I would love to have a skinny pig! but like others, there is no way hubby will go for another one. ... or would he? :)

Ash-Ro060708
08-13-09, 02:52 pm
Wow, That pig is HUGE!!
I hope you and your girls all the best!

HellFire
08-13-09, 03:23 pm
I have never seen that breed before! They're so pretty! Your piggy is really big so she must be due soon!

I hope everything goes okay with the birth!

SheriMartini
08-13-09, 04:20 pm
I hope everything goes well! :) I was secretly hoping when I got on today that I'd get to see some pictures of some babies as I read this thread yesterday! haha! Def. update us once they arrive!

crazyaboutpigs
08-14-09, 03:11 pm
I have been hoping to see piggies when I look in, but nothing yet. They are acting pretty normally. Just huge as a house! :)

jamie15701
08-15-09, 06:28 am
Please let us know when your piggies have their babies....

Hope all goes well for a quick speedy delivery!

BabyBellie
08-15-09, 08:24 am
Wow she really is huge. I hope all goes well. As long as there's no complications, the adults pretty well know what to do. In fact it was my Alice having babies that bonded her and Annabelle. They were divided so that Alice wouldn't be stressed since Annabelle picked on her when I introduced them but the babies could walk right through the divider. After the babies were born I removed the divider and the only time they faught was when Annabelle ended up with more than two babies. Alice liked to remind her who the real mom was. They are so easy to fall in love with. I wasn't going to keep any and I ended up keeping 3 of the four that survived.

vicky2
08-15-09, 11:50 am
Any pups yet?

crazyaboutpigs
08-16-09, 08:16 am
Nothing yet but you can actually see the outline of the pups inside of her belly. It is kinda disturbing. When they move, her entire side moves!

crazyaboutpigs
08-16-09, 08:39 am
Here are a couple of updated pics and a pic of my other piggy!

wigglesgiggles1
08-16-09, 08:45 am
Aww, so cute! They are really getting close now.

Paula
08-16-09, 09:09 am
Those poor things. I hope they deliver soon and all goes smoothly. I know I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to pregnant ladies in the house. Good luck to you and to them.

crazyaboutpigs
08-16-09, 08:03 pm
I can't imagine that they could go much longer. Unfortunately, I don't know how far along they are and the vet couldn't help much there without an ultrasound. Still acting and eating normally though. The worry is just crazy though!

wheekers01
08-16-09, 08:10 pm
Aww! Hope everything goes smoothly! They are adorable, just think how cute the pups will be!! They must be getting closer! Good Luck!!

fieryone
08-16-09, 09:01 pm
The poor babies look so uncomfortable. Hopefully they deliver soon.

Skeetersmom
08-16-09, 09:50 pm
Aww. The orange one looks like she may deliver before the other one to me. It looks like the babies are further down on her. It's amazing how much different they look without the hair covering their bellies. Totally obvious they are pregnant! Good luck, I hope it is soon and safe for them!

jamie15701
08-17-09, 09:21 am
Poor pigs, it's probably so miserable being that big in the hottest days of summer, hopefully they both deliver safely and soon!

crazyaboutpigs
08-17-09, 09:36 am
Poor pigs, it's probably so miserable being that big in the hottest days of summer, hopefully they both deliver safely and soon!

I'm sure that they are miserable, but they do have their own air conditioner that keeps them at just the right temperature! They also have thick fleece sleep sacks to crawl into if they need to get warmer. They pretty much go back and fourth all day long. They just can't get comfortable!

MapleOwl18
08-17-09, 11:24 am
You know what, I think your vet is right.

I remember reading a a case on Guinea Pig Lynx where one piggy going into labor caused the other one to go into immature labor. The 2nd set of pups were born too early and did not survive. After the birth or if you have a non-pregnant female piggy it is completely ok to have them together. But, you run the risk of a premature birth otherwise.

So I would remove them from each other before they give birth especially if one looks further along than the other. I would also post your question here
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
As they specialize in guinea pig health.

pigsforlife
08-18-09, 02:19 am
I would NOT remove them. Keep them as they are. They are obviously bonded and I imagine it would be far too stressful to separate them than it would be to keep them together. I think both sows will be completely safe together.

crazyaboutpigs
08-18-09, 12:56 pm
I would NOT remove them. Keep them as they are. They are obviously bonded and I imagine it would be far too stressful to separate them than it would be to keep them together. I think both sows will be completely safe together.

I am not going to separate them. I think that at this point, separating them would cause more harm than good. After separating them last time for a mere 24 hours, they stopped eating and drinking and wouldn't come out of their hidey. This is more dangerous that the possibility of premature labor. I have to think of my mommy piggies first, even if it means that something could go wrong with one of the pregnancies.

Skeetersmom
08-18-09, 01:00 pm
Wow! Still no babies??? It seems like forever when you are waiting for new babies.

stafishtaylz
08-18-09, 01:20 pm
I would be anxious to see them as well. I'm looking to adopt another female, and I am in CT as well!

crazyaboutpigs
08-18-09, 01:27 pm
It's been about a week sense I found out and it seems like much longer. I would say that they were faking it, except the babies are doing the tango in there! I promise to post pic as soon as they come!

vicky2
08-18-09, 01:31 pm
JEEZ.
Just pop out the little suckers already!! lol
I hope things go over smoothly, must be miserable. :(

wheekers01
08-18-09, 01:55 pm
Aww!! Everyone must be miserable, including you!! Seems like forever ago! I'm sure it will be soon! Good Luck to you and to all the piggies!

AnimalHouse36
08-19-09, 09:27 am
The suspense is kiling me! I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

crazyaboutpigs
08-19-09, 10:47 am
:) Still no babies. This is ridiculous. I'm certain that this is giving me ulcers! They hardly move at all now though. They don't even stand to eat, they just lay there an munch. I was scratching Hipos nose last night and she fell completely asleep. She is one tired piggy!

phoenixstar17
08-19-09, 12:32 pm
That poor piggy
You must have a large litter on it's way then.
Remember if she starts making a weird noise then that means she's about 24 hours fromhaving them.
That's what happened to my Amy. :3

vicky2
08-20-09, 10:07 pm
Any pups yet?

Ash-Ro060708
08-20-09, 10:13 pm
When I saw that this thread moved up, I got a little excited! haha

piggiecrazy
08-20-09, 10:26 pm
I got excited too, I have been waiting to hear all is well.
Praying the little ones and mommies come thru safely and soon!

Peggysu
08-21-09, 12:24 am
Oh man, I thought that maybe the babies were born too. I've been on pins and needles. Good luck!!!

HellFire
08-21-09, 04:31 am
I can't wait to see the babies, i hope everything goes okay!

momof1kid3piggi
08-21-09, 04:44 am
Cant wait hope we see the babies soon!!! I'd be up all night waiing

crazyaboutpigs
08-21-09, 05:36 am
Still no babies, but she keeps getting larger. I'm taking them in to see the vet today just as a precaution. I'm sure that they are fine, but If there is something wrong, I would like to know as this vet isn't open on the weekends. I do have a vet lined up for a weekend emergency, but I don't like them as much as my regular vet. I'm just trying to keep them as comfortable as possible at this point.

chellelee8
08-21-09, 08:16 am
Poor piggy, I hope that everything goes good at the vet.

HellFire
08-21-09, 04:08 pm
Awh, i hope everything goes well at the vet! Good luck.

Nutmeg05
08-21-09, 04:16 pm
Let us know what the vet had to say? Are they getting any closer to giving birth?

piggiecrazy
08-21-09, 06:17 pm
Hope all went well at the vets today. Will be watching for any update. Thanks.
Wishing the best for all. :D

momof1kid3piggi
08-22-09, 07:43 am
Any updates please Let us know as soon as you can.

wheekers01
08-22-09, 11:48 am
Yes, I agree! Please let us know any updates! Hope everything went well at the vet! You're doing a great job!! Good Luck!!

jamie15701
08-23-09, 07:05 pm
How was the vet visit? any news you might like to share? :)

momof1kid3piggi
08-23-09, 07:18 pm
I know i just wrote yesterday. But any updates Yet?

Ash-Ro060708
08-23-09, 08:57 pm
False excitement again!! haha
Hope everything goes well!

suzilovespiggie
08-24-09, 12:10 am
Oh my goodness!! I think all of us are on pins and needles waiting for the big event times 2. Waiting to hear from you crazyaboutpigs.....
As with all the others, hoping, praying all goes well for both mommas and babies.

crazyaboutpigs
08-24-09, 07:45 am
Piggies are doing good. Vet gave them a clean bill of health and just said that my larger one has a large litter on the way. He declined to do an x-ray or anything invasive as he didn't think that it was necessary. They are eating and drinking normally. They can hardly move, but they can make it to their food! :) They have gotten larger even though I didn't think that it was possible. Vet says any day, but also stated that there is no way to know for sure! I have had several talks with them, but no babies yet!

momof1kid3piggi
08-24-09, 07:52 am
had a false excitement here I thought they where here. but I'm glad to hear that all is well. I hope they come soon for your sake.

crazyaboutpigs
08-24-09, 11:04 am
Thought that I would show an updated picture from today. Poor momma pig!

Skeetersmom
08-24-09, 11:36 am
Yikes! Poor piggie!

Ibbet
08-24-09, 11:44 am
Oh my, poor pig. She's huge!
Good luck with the mommas and their babies.

angiekay
08-24-09, 12:18 pm
OH my my, poor little girl. Please keep us posted on both of them, sounds like you are more than prepared and love them very much, all the best wishes sending your way. Bless those girls.

momof1kid3piggi
08-24-09, 12:38 pm
Ohh goodness She is huge! I hope everything goes okay. I hope it's soon.

stafishtaylz
08-24-09, 12:39 pm
Whoa! Who would have thought she could have gotten any bigger! Poor girl...how much longer can this go on!?!

piggiecrazy
08-24-09, 12:40 pm
My heart breaks for that poor momma. How is your other one doing?
Glad to hear that all is well but she just looks miserable.
Hope you can have an end to all this waiting soon. Sending you prayers and thoughts for both you and your babies.

magicroundabout
08-24-09, 01:18 pm
I stumbled across your thread on my search for something else, but I couldn't stop reading!
My thoughts are with you all! It must be very stressful!
Defiantly want to hear when they arrive! With lots of pictures too!

crazyaboutpigs
08-24-09, 05:58 pm
This may not mean anything, but Hippo AKA House (my husband calls her house...big as a house) will not come out of her fleece sack. She wouldn't even come out for her greens. My other one...little house...is eating all of the greens! My 9 year old daughter even made a comment about it. This is completely new behavior for her and trust me...I watch her like a hawk! Keep your fingers crossed that tonight is the night.

jamie15701
08-24-09, 06:42 pm
*fingers crossed* that poor pig needs some relief SOON

chellelee8
08-24-09, 07:49 pm
Good luck, I hope everything goes well.

Ly&Pigs
08-24-09, 07:59 pm
I don't think I've ever seen a pregnant pig as big as she is. I feel for her as pregnancy is a strain on any one animal or human alike.

I hope she delivers soon.

Aquena
08-24-09, 09:30 pm
Good Luck, I know how this all feels, I just went through pregnancy and delivery with my Bella. Take Care!

fieryone
08-25-09, 08:16 am
Oh my goodness, your poor girl. I hope she delivers soon and doesn't get any bigger. I don't see how it's possible!

Skeetersmom
08-25-09, 08:19 am
I sure hope she has those babies soon. She is HUGE!

crazyaboutpigs
08-25-09, 01:51 pm
I give up. They will never have their babies! :( The bigger that they get, the more worried that I get. I haven't left the house in 3 days because I want to here is something goes wrong. I've slept on the couch for a week...just waiting.

stafishtaylz
08-25-09, 01:55 pm
I give up. They will never have their babies! :( The bigger that they get, the more worried that I get. I haven't left the house in 3 days because I want to here is something goes wrong. I've slept on the couch for a week...just waiting.

I'm fast forwarding to 2 months from now, hoping I'm not sitting around the house starring at my new adoptee. I feel for you!

Remember-a watched pot never boils!

momof1kid3piggi
08-25-09, 02:02 pm
yes when My cookie was pregnant i put her in a store bought cage for at night time so she could be in my room and I could be there when it happened and here she had them durring the day when I was at work. But I think that she tried to wait for me though because when i got home and checked on her they where still wet and there was still blood in the cage. But like stafishtaylz said a watched pot never boils. So I'd try and go about what you normally do. I honestly dont think many people have seen their guinea pigs born. Yes there is a handful out there but not everyone

Aquena
08-25-09, 02:05 pm
I did that too, stayed up late, checked on in the night,up early...and what do you know, woke up to just born pups, I was only in time for the last 2 placenta's! I felt too she would never go into labor, and I worried and worried. She did fine, and I pray yours will too! Your piggy is under 5-6 months, right?

crazyaboutpigs
08-25-09, 03:04 pm
Yes they are young piggies. I have this horror of one getting stuck. I actually had a dream about it. I'm sure that it is because of their size.

Aquena
08-25-09, 05:56 pm
Good Luck, it HAS to be imminent! Keep us posted!

JessicaS
08-26-09, 08:33 pm
Ugh! I keep checking multiple times a day and keep hoping that they delivered. I can't wait to see those cute baby pics. I have never seen a pic of a baby skinny.

I hope all is well and it's an easy and happy healthy delivery.

magicroundabout
08-27-09, 04:51 am
Ugh! I keep checking multiple times a day and keep hoping that they delivered. I can't wait to see those cute baby pics. I have never seen a pic of a baby skinny.

I hope all is well and it's an easy and happy healthy delivery.

I know I keep doing the same! Every time I get an Email that there has been a new post I get all excited! lol
Keeping fingers crossed!

Res Judicata
08-27-09, 01:54 pm
Those babies are just messing with our heads. They know everyone is watching, waiting and anxious to see them born and are taking their sweet time. Add me to the list of well-wishers.

crazyaboutpigs
08-27-09, 03:56 pm
I know that they are going to drive me straight to the funny farm. My larger girl gained 8 ounces in 6 days and the other one gained 5 ounces. So...they just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Toadies
08-28-09, 01:31 pm
Poor girl! I know how she feels. I was a battleship with both my kids and my second was a 10 month baby. I hope she delivers SOON! Charlie, Slick (the Toadies) and I send our best wishes for a "fruitful" and joyous outcome.

twiztedlilfae
08-28-09, 02:45 pm
All the best to your two girls. I'm sure that things will be fine with them :) Hope that they are born to..add me to the list of those waiting/watching to see when they're born :)

xERICx
08-28-09, 03:08 pm
Aw, poor girls, they're huge! They look miserable. Heres to wishin your girls a safe delivery and soon hopefully.

Ly&Pigs
08-28-09, 04:17 pm
I'm now taking bets as to how many pups the huge pregnant sow is going have. I say 7.

Skeetersmom
08-28-09, 04:35 pm
I can't believe they haven't had the babies yet!!

Res Judicata
08-28-09, 04:48 pm
I am curious as to what they are going to have -- hairless, haired or a mixture of babies.

Ash-Ro060708
08-28-09, 05:04 pm
I can't believe they're still not here yet! It feels like it's been forever!!

I can imagine how you must feel, I'd be going crazy too!! The babies must almost be busting out of the sides. :D

vicky2
08-28-09, 05:06 pm
Ly, lol !!!!!!
I also say seven. lol

guineapigluver1
08-28-09, 05:36 pm
Wow! She is big! I hope they have the babies soon.
I bet she has at least 5.

rjramer06
08-28-09, 06:05 pm
I just read through this whole thing and am super excited now too! Really hope your piggies do ok. CAN NOT wait to see pics! lol

Wodentoad
08-28-09, 06:16 pm
I bet six, all hairless.

krittercrazy
08-28-09, 10:18 pm
I will bet 9. Poor thing, she looks miserable.

Aquena
08-28-09, 10:22 pm
I'm in - 8 pups is my guess!

Skeetersmom
08-28-09, 10:50 pm
I'm going to say 4. She may be big but I think it may look even more pronounced seeing as she is hairless.

Res Judicata
08-28-09, 10:55 pm
I just went back and looked at the picture a few pages back. It looks like she swallowed two eggs whole. I am putting in a guess of 6 babies.

rattatrattery
08-29-09, 02:19 am
what gorgeous girls! cant wait for the delivery! I am a proud owner of a skinny boar. :)

phoenixstar17
08-29-09, 03:47 am
i'm gonna guess 8
My Amy is only a small piggie.
Yours looks atleast twice the size she was.
Amy didn't even look pregnant, yet she had 4

pigsforlife
08-29-09, 03:52 am
My guess if for 5. I think being hairless makes her tummy look more pronounced. I have my fingers crossed for a healthy birth for both piggies.

Grandmar Cavy
08-29-09, 05:37 am
I'll say 3 large

Cornish Cavies
08-29-09, 05:43 am
I think 4 and if dad was a skinny then they will all be skinny (I think)

twiztedlilfae
08-29-09, 08:27 am
I'm going to guess 2 or 3. She looks about the same size as my Honey did. And although I'm sure she had more than 2 I never found the other little ones if she did. I know she had 2 for sure. Good luck I bet she is miserable.

crazyaboutpigs
08-29-09, 09:55 am
Some of those numbers really scare me! Yikes. I'm hoping for 2 or 3. :)

Ibbet
08-29-09, 10:01 am
I'm gonna guess 4-5.

magicroundabout
08-29-09, 10:28 am
Some of those numbers really scare me! Yikes. I'm hoping for 2 or 3. :)

I know that's what I was thinking, lol! I bet they are just large babies. I would say no more than 4 but I'm no expert.
Hehe this is really exciting! But that is easy for me to say half way across the world, must be a nightmare for you though "crazyaboutpigs".
Wishing you luck!

vicky2
08-29-09, 10:36 am
By seven I meant both litters together have seven. :P

momof1kid3piggi
08-29-09, 11:21 am
I bet the biggest one will have 5.Then the smaller one will have 3. So a total of 8.

Ly&Pigs
08-29-09, 12:07 pm
I meant 7 by the one pig. In all my years on this forum, I've never seen a larger pregnant pig than your girl you've been posting pics of. I hope I am way off and really wrong. Yes she is hairless, but hair doesn't account for all that much between normal short haired pigs and a skinny.

gooberific
08-29-09, 12:14 pm
I'm predicting five in eight days.

BabyBellie
08-29-09, 01:00 pm
8 is my guess also. My Alice had 5 and I thought she was huge but she was nowhere near as big as this one. Poor girl I bet she wants those babies out as badly as we all do.

jamie15701
08-29-09, 01:24 pm
My guess is 6 larger babies, the other skinny will have 4.. If we lived closer I would def. take a skinny pig!

xERICx
08-29-09, 06:08 pm
I'm gonna guess 3-5.

wheekers01
08-29-09, 06:11 pm
Aww!! It's been soo long!! I bet this one has about 5 or 6....that'd be a lot of babies!! Lets hope I'm wrong and there is only 3 or 4!! Wishing everyone luck!! It must be soon you would think!!

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 06:26 am
It's my daughters birthday today....so today would be a wonderful day for baby piggies! Now just tell the mommas that. I will post some updated pics of my princesses later. Yes, they have gotten bigger from the last shot. If I'm posting too many pictures, please just let me know!

Skeetersmom
08-30-09, 06:50 am
I think everyone loves seeing the pictures. Can you feel if their hips have spread at all yet? It is a pretty good give away of when the babies are coming...

clotho
08-30-09, 07:29 am
I am guessing 6 babies. I am thinking good thoughts for a successful delivery - and one that comes soon! I know it can't come soon enough when you're waiting and going crazy! I can't wait to see baby pics!

trump_cinnamon
08-30-09, 07:33 am
I'm guessing 6 for the bigger one, and 4 for the smaller one. I like seeing the pictures!

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 08:25 am
Here are pictures of Hippo "aka house" I took them from several angles because...well there is just so much of her! The one taken of her tummy was taken VERY quickly so that she wasn't uncomfortable.

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 08:27 am
And lets not forget Jelly Bean "aka little house"

trump_cinnamon
08-30-09, 08:28 am
Wow. She is giant!

fieryone
08-30-09, 08:40 am
Oh my! Those poor babies. I'm not sure how Hippo could stretch anymore, yet she did. I really hope these poor girls get some relief soon. Can she even walk?

Skeetersmom
08-30-09, 08:57 am
Wow! You can actually see like 3 babies on her left side. So, I will have to guess about 5-6 babies. That is crazy how big she is. At least Jelly Bean looks average!

guineapigluver1
08-30-09, 09:16 am
Wow! How can they get any bigger? I hope they have the babies soon, they have to be miserable.

SheriMartini
08-30-09, 09:34 am
I'm guessing between 4-6 for Hippo! Poor thing, I hope she delivers soon!!

Peggysu
08-30-09, 10:37 am
Holy Cow! She is HUGE! Poor baby, I hope she delivers soon and that it all goes smoothly for both of them. Good Luck. I'm not going to guess how many as I have no experience with pregnant guinea pigs, but I'm sure it's a big number.

Wodentoad
08-30-09, 10:52 am
With the new pictures, and the one of "little house," I'm going to change my bet to 3-4 for the littler one and 7 for Big Mama Hippo.

chellelee8
08-30-09, 10:56 am
OH my! Poor girls. I hope they have their babies soon.

Ash-Ro060708
08-30-09, 12:12 pm
Wow they're houses all right!
I can't believe how big they are!! I really hope they have a bunch of small babies instead of a few huge ones.

momof1kid3piggi
08-30-09, 02:14 pm
OHH MY! she is definitely a house!! and It could be from the angle the picture was taken at. But it looks like big house only has 1 nipple. I know she is very BIG. So it could be that its on the complete opposite side. but little house looks average. and my numbers stay the same 5 for big house and 3 for little house. a total of 8.

jamie15701
08-30-09, 02:21 pm
WOW!!!!! That has to be uncomfortable

ameyjaney
08-30-09, 03:45 pm
Shes huge!! I hope she delivers soon...

Deb's4Pigs
08-30-09, 04:13 pm
Poor thing. Is it ever going to end.

angiekay
08-30-09, 04:17 pm
Oh my gosh, I keep seeing new posts in this thread, and I just "cross my fingers" hoping you have posted pics of the new babies! Gosh, I hate it for the poor girls, I know they have to be miserable, keep us updated, it can't be much longer!!

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 06:53 pm
I just watched big house have baby number 1!!! He or she is moving and alert. Mom is still cleaning it!

Skeetersmom
08-30-09, 06:55 pm
Yay! We'll know how many were in there soon!!!!

momof1kid3piggi
08-30-09, 06:56 pm
Yipppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

momof1kid3piggi
08-30-09, 06:57 pm
i still say 5 for hippo

SFailed186
08-30-09, 06:58 pm
Yayy! Finally. : )
I am guessing around 5-7.
I will be glued to the screen to check updates!

Ibbet
08-30-09, 07:02 pm
Aw, yay!
Congrats!

Can't wait to find out how many there are!
Also can't wait for pictures!

vicky2
08-30-09, 07:06 pm
Update!!!!!!!!

suzilovespiggie
08-30-09, 07:12 pm
OH MY GOSH!! IT'S TIME??? Keep us posted.

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 07:14 pm
There are 4 so far. Here are some pictures! Everything is going well so far. All skinny's.

vicky2
08-30-09, 07:16 pm
Cuteness overload!!!!!!

suzilovespiggie
Way to go!!! They are soooooo cute!!! Congradulations!!!

Paula
Ok, that's the cutest thing I've ever seen. How are you planning not to keep every single one of 'em?

Thanks for the update. I hope all continues to go well. I'm so relieved Hippo finally had those guys. Bet she is too. :cheerful:

Keep the pictures coming!

Ibbet
08-30-09, 07:17 pm
Aw!! Way too cute!

jamie15701
08-30-09, 07:18 pm
That is so exciting!! I have been checking every couple of hours for news

momof1kid3piggi
08-30-09, 07:18 pm
So adorable!

SheriMartini
08-30-09, 07:19 pm
Oh my goodness!!! Adorable!! :)

suzilovespiggie
08-30-09, 07:24 pm
Glad that Momma hippo is okay. They have and irresistable cuteness

vicky2
08-30-09, 07:27 pm
Update! :)

momof1kid3piggi
Anymore then four Yet??

gunnybunny
Awwww! They are too cute! I am glad momma is doing well.

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 07:33 pm
There is still 4. Mom is taking care of the placentas now, so I don't know if that means that she is done. They are all good sized, alert and one actually started sucking on my thumb. Mom is not interested in feeding them yet, but she is making sure that they are clean and warm! Here is a picture of the 4. I feel so relieved right now. Thanks everyone!

Ibbet
08-30-09, 07:37 pm
Aw, goodness they are just too cute! I love skinnies.
Glad to hear momma and babies are doing good.

Paula
08-30-09, 07:38 pm
They are very beautiful. You've done a great job with Momma pigs and the babies.

momof1kid3piggi
08-30-09, 07:40 pm
So precious. Glad mom got through it okay!!

crazyaboutpigs
08-30-09, 07:43 pm
Mom just came out of her nest to get greens and take them back. So I think everything is good. I can rest easy tonight. I'll update in the morning. Thanks everyone for their advice. It has been so stressful and this site has made things so much easier on me.

vicky2
08-30-09, 07:43 pm
No, thank you for all of your cuteness. :)
Update us in the morning.

blackarrow
08-30-09, 07:50 pm
I am so relieved that she and the babies are doing well! (And that there aren't 7 of them, LOL!) Congratulations to you and Ms. Formerly-Big-as-a-House. I've got to imagine the poor girl must look about like a Shar-pei after getting those enormous babies out!

MileyPiggyMom
08-30-09, 08:51 pm
The babies are just too cute!!! They remind me of the little puppies with the wrinkles! I'm so happy they are all ok!!

piggiecrazy
08-30-09, 09:03 pm
Congratulations!!!!!!!
Thank goodness momma and babies are all well and healthy. Thankful it was not such a big litter.
Can't wait to see pics of how momma looks "skinny". The babies are just so irresistably adorable. Love them.
You did a fabulous job. Now round two won't be so hard. How momma #2 does just as well. :D

Grandmar Cavy
08-30-09, 09:08 pm
Congrats on the beautiful bubs, so glad everyone is OK.

BabyBellie
08-30-09, 09:20 pm
Oh gosh they are just too cute. I wanted one before and now I really wish I could have one. I'm definately too far away though. Congrats to you and mommy. Now you just have to wait for round two.

chellelee8
08-30-09, 09:21 pm
I'm so happy to see those babies, they are too cute. Congratulations!

fieryone
08-30-09, 09:45 pm
Thank goodness for her. They're adorable! Oh how I wish I could take one

Peggysu
08-30-09, 09:53 pm
I'm so glad everything went smoothly!!! Those babies are just too cute.

twiztedlilfae
08-30-09, 10:07 pm
yay! congrats to the new mommy!!

Aquena
08-30-09, 10:51 pm
Go Mom GO! Keep us posted - YAY! Hope all goes well!

Ash-Ro060708
08-30-09, 11:20 pm
Congrats!!

They are too cute!

I hope the other litter comes soon, safe and sound also. :)

Aquena
08-30-09, 11:24 pm
Now that I realize the babies were born after going back in the postings, and found the adorable pictures - Congratulations!

phoenixstar17
08-31-09, 01:02 am
Awh Congrats on them!
I'm really happy for you.
They're so cute.
I guess my bet was wrong, but either way the babies are out and safe now.
Mine have gone to new homes now, but I'm still going to visit them every so often, I want to see how fast they grow since I never really had my own baby guinea pigs before.

jamie15701
08-31-09, 05:14 am
That is so cool that they are all skinnies! Congrats, now for "little house" to have her babies. They are so adorable!

angiekay
08-31-09, 05:37 am
Oh my goodness, they are so adorable! I'm so happy for you and the new mommy, I know you are very relieved for her, as we all are. Congrats, and enjoy them babies!

stafishtaylz
08-31-09, 05:54 am
Yay! I'm so glad every one is okay. Adorable little babies. I love their tiny little wrinkles.

guineapigluver1
08-31-09, 11:41 am
They are all adorable! I can't believe how big she was and only had four!

Deb's4Pigs
08-31-09, 12:46 pm
They are adorable babies. Congrats.

Fudgenrolo
08-31-09, 01:19 pm
Awwww! :cheerful: xx

I'm so pleased all has gone well! Congratulations! Hope the next birth goes as smoothly. :)

magicroundabout
08-31-09, 01:42 pm
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Yay I guessed right, 4 babies, lol! They are really cute! Please keep us updated on little house! Oh yeah and more pictures please!!!

suzilovespiggie
08-31-09, 11:40 pm
Now we must wait for birth #2. Hope all is well with Momma#2 and her babies too. She doesn't look as big. Keep us posted. With lots of pictures. Love the pictures.

rattatrattery
09-01-09, 02:09 am
The babies are beautiful! I cant wait to see the other litter!

ameyjaney
09-02-09, 04:07 pm
Cute overload :). Glad that they are all doing well.

wheekers01
09-02-09, 04:12 pm
Awhh!! Congrats!! Round 2 should be soon!!! They are so cutee!!!! Keep us updated on everything!! Congrats again!

crazyaboutpigs
09-05-09, 03:03 pm
The second set of babies are here! I just found them. There were 4 born, but only 3 were alive. Mom is doing great! They are all furry babies and ABSOLUTELY adorable. There is a definite keeper in the bunch!

twiztedlilfae
09-05-09, 03:08 pm
aww yay! can't wait to see the pigtures :)

Skeetersmom
09-05-09, 03:14 pm
Yay! Can't wait to see! So sad that one didn't make it though.

vicky2
09-05-09, 03:29 pm
Wait, what happened? Little House didn't make it?!

vicky2
09-05-09, 03:31 pm
Oh, ok. Awww, we're looking forward to pigtures! :)

Skeetersmom
09-05-09, 03:37 pm
Wait, what happened? Little House didn't make it?!

No she had 4 babies but only 3 made it.

crazyaboutpigs
09-05-09, 03:48 pm
Here are the new babies!

crazyaboutpigs
09-05-09, 03:48 pm
And one of the other at dinner time this evening.

phoenixstar17
09-05-09, 03:56 pm
They're so gorgeous. I want one!
Congrats

vicky2
09-05-09, 04:38 pm
Oh my! They are adorable!!!!!

Peggysu
09-05-09, 04:38 pm
Cute babies, I'm so sorry the one didn't make it.

Aquena
09-05-09, 04:42 pm
Congratulations on all the babies! I am sorry one was not so lucky.

crazyaboutpigs
09-05-09, 04:42 pm
Cute babies, I'm so sorry the one didn't make it.

Thank you! Actually we feel very fortunate. Out of 8 babies, 7 are happy and healthy. Also, both of my precious mommies are doing good. I was so worried about losing them. Now I can actually relax. I do think that I will keep one out of each litter though....YIKES :)

momof1kid3piggi
09-05-09, 06:10 pm
Congratulations the new littler is so adorable!! I love how they have very thin fur! because mom is of course a skinny.

Grandmar Cavy
09-05-09, 11:44 pm
Congrats mommy pig well done, Photo's would be great

angiekay
09-06-09, 12:39 am
Oh my, I'm so happy for you that mommies are doing well and that the stress is over for you!! Babies are cuteness overload!!!

Ash-Ro060708
09-06-09, 10:43 am
Too cute!!
Congrats!

chellelee8
09-06-09, 11:04 am
They are sooo cute, congratulations on all the babies.

MileyPiggyMom
09-06-09, 12:02 pm
The babies are just precious!! Will the new ones keep their fur? Or will they be skinny like their mom?

piggiecrazy
09-07-09, 01:01 am
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
I am so happy that all went well for both mommas. Sorry to hear that one little one did not make it. Like you said though, out of 8 babies, 7 are healthy and doing well.
Especially thankful the mommas made it through.
You did a fabulous job taking care of them. I'm sure you will enjoy them more now that you can relax and just have fun with them.
I know I would not be able to give up any one of those 7 little bundles. We have 10 piggies and I would just keep adopting if I could, I guess I'm like a cat lady, but know my limitations deep down. LOL

suzilovespiggie
09-09-09, 12:21 am
All of them are the cutest things I have ever seen!! Job well done all around.

vicky2
09-15-09, 05:01 pm
How about some updates including pics please. :)

Froggirl009
09-15-09, 07:43 pm
I would just like to say that you have the most adorable guinea pigs and you are a VERY good piggy momma.

VoodooJoint
09-17-09, 09:51 am
This thread is CLOSED. The original poster is a liar. She is an exotic animal breeder. She purposely bred these pigs and is selling them. To comment and/or learn more visit this thread in the kitchen. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/47814-male-skinny-pig-connecticut.html