Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

There's a flesh in her hidey? What could it be?

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I bought one Peruvian sow about 2-3 weeks ago (do not comment about this, i already explain that there's no shelter in Indonesia) When i bought her,she got scabs so i took her to the doctor and she's fine now.

Today, i gave her pineapple since i read that it will be no problem for guinea pig. She's been hiding inside her hidey today, and just go out when i bring her food. At first thought it's fine, since she's a very shy sow and loves to hide and she looks pretty relax today. Just few minutes ago, i go to her cage when she starts eating, and saw little black-red flesh near her hidey. The size is about an inch and when i checked there's a bit of something like menstruation blood near her vagina. So what's this flesh? Is it possible that she used to be pregnant and now she's losing her baby? I've heard that eating pineapple is dangerous to pregnant woman, is it possible that this thing happen to guinea pig too?

I'm so worried about her, it's already 10.00 pm.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about this. Guinea pigs purchased from shops or breeders can often be ill or pregnant, It sounds to me that she has miscarried. I know that when pigs give birth there should be less that a tsp blood. I would bag up the item and take her and it to a vet ASAP. I hope she is ok.

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about this. Guinea pigs purchased from shops or breeders can often be ill or pregnant, It sounds to me that she has miscarried. I know that when pigs give birth there should be less that a tsp blood. I would bag up the item and take her and it to a vet ASAP. I hope she is ok.

Is it possible that it happened because i gave her pineapple? :weepy:

Beahbeah

Cavy Slave
No. Also, guinea pigs don't menstruate like humans do, so any blood in the cage is a sign of something being very wrong. She really does need to see a vet right away.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Last edited by a moderator:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
(do not comment about this, i already explain that there's no shelter in Indonesia)
You don't get to tell people what they may or may not comment on. If you don't want it discussed, the best thing to do is not bring it up in the first place.

Is it possible that it happened because i gave her pineapple?
No. Large amounts of pineapple in humans *may* be an abortifacient, but info and research on that is sketchy. Pineapple is, however, high in sugar and shouldn't be fed very often, if at all.

You need to get the pig to the vet if in fact you suspect she had a sort of miscarriage.

Amiee

Cavy Slave
"Large quantities" is relative to body size. It takes much less pineapple to be a "large amount" for a pig than a human. For example, let's imagine 1 cm cubed / pound is a "large quantity". A "large quantity" for a pig would be 2-3 cm cubed. A "large quantity" for a 100 pound person would be 100 cm cubed, which is a lot of pineapple!

It depends how much was fed, but it sounds like it may have contributed, sorry to say.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How did the vet treat the scabs? They were most likely mites and if not treated properly, they will return.

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
How did the vet treat the scabs? They were most likely mites and if not treated properly, they will return.

No, this one is different guinea pig with the one i asked before...

She treated her with scabicid, applied once a day.
I'm pretty sure it was scabies, because she got injury near her back and her ears shape are different

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
She looks a lot better now, and the blood isn't coming back, but still that little blood afraids me. She was popcorning when i give her hay.

But she looks pretty scared when i go near her and always try to run away.
I'll take her immediately tomorrow.
Btw, is there any permanent damage that could possibly happen to my pig?
And is there any additional nutrition for my pig to help her?

Last edited:

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I took her to vet today, and the vet said she'll be fine. Just give her some rest for a few days, plenty of foods and yes it was probably because i lap her too much, which made her a bit stress (i didn't know she's pregnant) and there's possibility her pregnancy is under a month which made her vulnerable, and maybe pineapple has an effect to this misscarriage

Mowly, i'm sorry :(
Btw, thanks all for all your supports

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
Is Paula a Veterinarian?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Paula is very knowledgable. And the op's vet doesn't sound cavy savy. Too much lap time would not cause a miscarriage.

Not all vets are knowledgable about guinea pigs either.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
That is good to know, especially when things happen when the vet is not available.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No one on this site is an actual vet that I know of although we've had members try to pass themselves off as vets (with no luck I might add). There are a handful of us that are very knowledable about medical conditions in pigs and we try to help when we can but our best advice is simply to take the pig to a cavy savvy vet in most cases.

There are many vets out there that do not have enough experience with cavies to be considered cavy savvy and I've seen many a post where the vet advice was actually harmful. Not all vets are cavy savvy.

If we don't know the answer to a medical question, we will refer to guinealynx where they have even more experienced members relating to medical conditions in pigs.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
I Love this site!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.