Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Gestation period

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
One of the GPs we got last week is pretty big. According to the vet chart (from the rescue shelter) she weighs 1017g (2.24 lbs). This made me wonder if she might be pregnant. She has a pretty big belly, but also a serious second chin and one would think the vet would mention on the papers that she is pregnant, right? I plan on buying a scale tomorrow to keep track of her (and the other ladies') weight.

In case you are wondering: I don't know her history other than that she came to the rescue shelter with the other two females on 7/22. I adopted them on 7/31.

Here is my question: What is the gestation period for guinea pigs? Thanks!

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
My friend found the answer for me and I feel like quite a dunce: 59-72 days.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, it's 59-73 days.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
That weight is not necessarily "big." It really depends on the pig. I have girls larger than that and they aren't fatties, they're just bigger girls. Just fyi.

A scale is an excellent idea.

RunningRagged

Cavy Slave
That weight is not necessarily "big." It really depends on the pig. I have girls larger than that and they aren't fatties, they're just bigger girls. Just fyi.

That made me chuckle. I would never consider my girls "fatties", just "large boned". Hopefully that is all she is. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.