Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Trying to maximize space: what can I change?

• Thread starter iluvmypigclover
  • Start date

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Firstly, here is my current setup:

Clover's Possible new cage setup - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Its a 2x4 with a 1x2 upper deck. One problem with this layout is that under the wooden house, there is a grid dividing the first 1x2 portion of the cage in half. You can't see this in the photo, but I'm sure you can imagine. This means that Clover has less lap running area. She's not much of a cage lap runner anyway--she loves the "track" around my couch! However, Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remodel this cage (again) to better serve Clover? :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You could possibly take the loft down and add those grids to the main level and put the wooden house on the main level. Then if you wanted to add a loft above the wooden house you could but you wouldn't need support. I am guessing you need the support grid now because the wooden house is heavy?

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm not quite sure I completely understand what you are saying. I believe that you are suggesting that I turn my 2x4 into a 2x5 by taking the grids that I use upstairs around the wooden house and adding them on. Then, if I am correct, you are saying that, if I wanted, I could add a 1x2 loft on top of the wooden house.

Right now, we are doing renovations to the room where Clover usually lives, so she'll have to stay in a 2x4 for now. However, I may be able to make a 2x5 once the room is back up and available. The other issue is that the wooden house has an angled roof which is taller than the height of the grids, so its nearly impossible to add an upper level directly above it. You are correct in saying that I need the support grid because of the weight of the wooden house. I wonder if I can cut and smooth (with piggy appropriate materials) the support grid so that its like an arch rather than a wall. Please clarify if I was wrong in what you were saying.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
The house has more than enough room for your baby height wise. What about trimming it down to fit under a second level? Perhaps if you cut the top portion off level then reused the roof flat on the top. As Ly suggested, that would make a very secure second level.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Ah, I'd rather not cut the house if I can avoid it. I'm debating whether or not to cut the support grid so that its an arch--that may open up space for Clover to run through!

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Or you could just not have a second level! Or, make a longer ramp and secure the upper level above the house on a 2x5.

You could also bend a grid and use it as a vertical hay holder and a support.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking, but you could use a PVC pipe to hold up the second level instead of a whole grid. Then she could still run laps in that area.

Otherwise you could leave the second level as it is and expand the main level. If you can't do a 2x5, maybe a 3x4 or an L shape would work.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
I was just looking for suggestions on how I could maximize the running area in my cage. All of these suggestions have been useful! Keep 'em coming!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.