Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is my cage Safer?

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
As some of you know, my little girl (Bella) was killed by my Dog, so I have made an effort to dog proof my cage.

Cage_0021.jpg

This is as stable as possible. All loose ends (anything wobbly) has been reinforced with cable ties. The two places are where I'm going to put the lids, per say.

To protect future cuteness from this monster:
Cage003.jpg

He's too cute. But he's a killer! So watch out. Any questions?

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Looks super dog-proof. The little monster is adorable!!!

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great, I'm sorry to hear about how your dog killed your guinea pig. How could such a cute monster kill such a cute, little guinea pig?

Is there a door to the room? If so you can also close the door which would make them more protected, keep them as far away from the dog as possible when taking them out for floor time to prevent any future and possibly fatal injuries.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
My door is generally always closed. When he killed her, my dad had forced me to keep my door open. It was very sad. I don't want anything like it to happen again.

Aquena

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear about Bella. I also have a dog, I am building my C&C cage on a sturdy table. My only concern is if your dog would be able to Pull the cage over if left unattended?

I love your cage, it looks safe...and where did you find the colored grids? I have only found black!

Good Luck!:)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I would suggest that every part of the cage where the connecters are have zip ties. You can always use a heavier duty zip tie, some people dog proof and then stand on their own cage to test the stability incase a dog were to be in there and be tempted. You never know how determined your dog might be to get in the cage. In my oppinion you can never be to safe and since you've already expienced it once you shouldn't have it happen again.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Looking good! Dog is cute too. Sad to hear of the incident. Rip little piggy. My dog is absolutley terrified of my pigs and she's a pretty big golden lab! She was even terrifed of my little white mouse I had lol. When we put my mouse in the ball, she would run and coward away!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I agree with Peggysu and I would go with more zip ties than what you have in the picture. For my cages I go with four zip ties per connecting grid. So basically you would have a plastic connector, four zip ties along the "wall" and then another plastic connector. Wouldn't hurt to get the larger zip ties to go AROUND the plastic connectors either.

Your dog is small, but he's obviously got a high prey drive and you just can't be too safe. That he was able to kill your first pig is tragic but it would be inexcusable if it happened again.

How are you going to secure the "door"?

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
Cable ties. Lots and lots of cable ties and I want to see it I can get some velcro that would be easy to take off and get piggies for floor time. Well, easy for those with thumbs. I'm going to go through and add all of my extra ties to the corners because you are all absolutely right. You cannot be too safe.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Cable ties. Lots and lots of cable ties and I want to see it I can get some velcro that would be easy to take off and get piggies for floor time. Well, easy for those with thumbs. I'm going to go through and add all of my extra ties to the corners because you are all absolutely right. You cannot be too safe.

Velcro makes cable ties also. I sometimes loathe the fact that I used them because opening my cage can be quite a task at times. Even with thumbs.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Instead of velcro straps, which a dog could conceivably chew through, I use carabiner clips to lock my lids to the cage.

mitzi

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to hear about your piggy. The new cage looks very sturdy.
I would not leave the dog alone with the cage at all though, he is a terrier and a jack russell? These dogs are hard wired to kill.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
I love your cage! Sorry that the (cute) monster killed your poor baby :(. I am still in love with your cage though. How did you get the bottom part to be elevated? I have been trying to figure out how to conceivably create an elevated cage later on when I can afford coroplast (right now the cage is without a bottom and I use drawer liners to line the bottom, until I can afford coroplast).

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
I just used the grids. Around the sides through the middle and then one on each side. Good luck with the whole getting of coroplast thing.

spiritofthepig5

Cavy Slave
I think your cage is safe but to keep your dog away I suggest baby gates. I bought one to put in front of their room and unless your dog's a jumper they work great just make sure you don't leave the door open while no one is home even if the baby gate is their. And remember never EVER trust any predator, even a pet with any small animal:) P.S. Terriers are hardwired to chase and kill anything small that moves.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have 4 dogs in my house and 2 cats plus 2 GP's and I would suggest Baby Gates also.

But not the plain wood or even plastic ones you see around. I purchased A Dream Baby Tall gate from Walmart. They are pricey but worth it because 1. You don't screw these into the wall or doorway. 2. They are 42 inches tall and made of steel 3. They have a door built in them.

They are expensive though $64. But truely worth every penny. I have a Lab and an German Spitz (who can jump 4 feet from a sitting position) and neither can jump the gate. And this way you can leave your bedroom door open alll the time.

Just a thought.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.