Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Multiple hairs coming out

couchon

Cavy Slave
I took my pig for a wellness check up about a month and a half ago. One of the things was that her hair was coming out in small clumps (from maybe 3 to 10 hairs), and they had some crust around them. My vet said 'plugs' like that were normal. Is she right.

It has been a month and a half, and there are no patches missing. The hair still sometimes comes out in 'plugs'. If it were mites, would I see the hair loss by now?

The vet said she may just have dry skin and some dandruf. Can I do anything to correc that?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Dry skin and dandruff is usually mites or fungus related.

couchon

Cavy Slave
But my question is, if it really has been one of those, wouldn't there have been visible signs by now (it has been at least two months)?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Not if it's a more mild infestation. But as more time passes and the pig has mites, the infestation will get worse. It's better to treat for mites now and be on the safe side than not to treat and let the condition get worse. Even if the pig doesn't have mites, the treatment won't hurt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.