PDA

View Full Version : URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Does this sound like a URI

wigglesgiggles1
07-31-09, 12:19 pm
My guinea pig Giggles is acting really normal, eating, playing and popping. My one concern is that I can hear him breathing, not too loudly but sometimes it sounds like he is slightly wheezing. That would be his only symptom to a URI but I think its better to be safe than sorry. Does this sound like a URI or am I over reacting. I will probably schedual a vet appoitment if it gets worse.

Paula
07-31-09, 01:07 pm
What's his weight like? Up? Down? Steady?

wigglesgiggles1
07-31-09, 02:55 pm
His weight is steady.

Paula
07-31-09, 03:04 pm
If he starts dropping at all or if the wheezing sound becomes louder or more frequent, or if you see any signs of discharge from his eyes or nose, get him in straight away.

wigglesgiggles1
07-31-09, 03:12 pm
OKay thanks for the help. I will monitor him and keep you posted. I wouldn't want my little guy to suffer.

Ly&Pigs
07-31-09, 03:32 pm
I'd also pick him up and listen to his chest with your ear. If you hear any wheezing or crackling in his lungs, get him to the vet.

Paula
07-31-09, 03:37 pm
That's a good point, too, Ly. Also if you hear what sounds like clicking a vet visit is in order right away.

wigglesgiggles1
07-31-09, 05:10 pm
Thank you both I will do that right now. If it is a URI should I take his cage mate (Wiggles) to the vet too?

akstrohm
07-31-09, 05:16 pm
Thank you both I will do that right now. If it is a URI should I take his cage mate (Wiggles) to the vet too?

Yes, I would take them both. Since they live together, if one is sick, the other probably is too. Plus it might keep them calm if they have a buddy there.

wigglesgiggles1
07-31-09, 05:20 pm
Ly, I just held Giggles' chest up to my ear, I could hear him breathing but not crackling or wheezing. I also checked Wiggles and I could hear his breathing too but it was a bit more quiet.

Paula
07-31-09, 06:49 pm
It might be a wise move - if for nothing other than your peace of mind - to get them both in for a checkup.

wigglesgiggles1
07-31-09, 06:55 pm
I am going to take them both. I do not think it is anything but for peace at mind I will take them. They are also due for an anual check up in a month so it will be a win-win situation. I will try to get them in on Monday.