PDA

View Full Version : Moose & Perci

dra&pigs
07-30-09, 07:41 am
Over the last two days, I lost my two beloved girls, Brownie and S'Mora. While we were to late for S'Mora, we brought Brownie to the vet and she was hospitalized overnight, but she still didn't make it. :guilty: I miss them both incredibly.
Yesterday, while I was getting my hair trimmed, I discovered a pet store next to the salon (the salon itself is on a corner, and we always come down a certain way, so I've never actually realized the pet shop next door. Anyways, afterwards, I couldn't help just looking around, and while they had guinea pigs for sale (the cage was far to small, but they were fed Oxbow and did have veggies and hay and such, something that really surprised me), there were also two little babies in a corner by themselves. I asked the lady about them and she said she found them a couple days ago on the front step when she went to open the shop. She found them a cage and was keeping them for now, but she didn't want to sell them, because they were so young and she wasn't sure of their history or anything like that. I offered to take them, because they were stuck in a tiny cage without any room to run or anything...She agreed, as long as I took them to vet (she already had an appointment, and its scheduled for later today). So, I bleached and washed everything in the cage down, and they are now in the 2x3, which is huge for their little bodies! They seemed amazed by all the room, and they loved floor time and lap time, and their veggies, even though it took a bit of warming up to those. I will put up pictures later!! Now, I'm going to the store for Cavy Performance today, but what sort of hay is best for them? What veggies? Thanks so much!!

akstrohm
07-30-09, 08:56 am
They should have the same unlimited grass hay and varied veggies that your other pigs get. If they don't eat many veggies, start with lettuce and bell pepper.

Paula
07-30-09, 08:58 am
You've been a member here for quite a while now - it seems you would've (certainly should've) known better than to get your pets from a pet store.

In any case, you have them now and it's good that you're planning to take them to the vet. To answer your questions, they need unlimited grass hay like any other guinea pig, no matter the age. You can supplement with some alfalfa hay and/or protein and calcium rich veggies while they're young.

SFailed186
07-30-09, 09:01 am
If the story on the store workers part is true, then I see no reason why it would be bad that she got the guinea pigs from the store. She did not pay for them and they were not a part of the "stock" so to speak.

kimberlyg
07-30-09, 09:07 am
I know your losses were hard, I have been through a few very recently as well. I commend you for rescuing the babies from that pet store and taking them in. It's also great that you are getting them to the vet.

The only thing I would offer as advice is to sex them right away in case you need to separate them because it sounds like you don't have a way to know how old they are.

((hugs))

kimberlyg
07-30-09, 09:18 am
I just thought of something else...

Someone told me that it can be hard for little ones to eat full size pellets. I took a coffee grinder and put the pellets in there. Pulsed it a couple times just to break the pellets in half or a little smaller. The babies loved it.

When their momma passed a couple days after they were born I also made pellet water for them. I don't know if you are supposed to do that but I don't have access to critical care out here. I ground the pellets to powder and then added water. I strained the mixture into two parts. The chunky part I put in their bowl (kinda like pellet cereal) and the water mixture I put in a dropper. I would hold them on my chest and just let them nurse on the dropper. They really loved it and I knew they were getting their water and at least some nutrients from the pellets.

Skeetersmom
07-30-09, 09:46 am
You've been a member here for quite a while now - it seems you would've (certainly should've) known better than to get your pets from a pet store.

In any case, you have them now and it's good that you're planning to take them to the vet. To answer your questions, they need unlimited grass hay like any other guinea pig, no matter the age. You can supplement with some alfalfa hay and/or protein and calcium rich veggies while they're young.

They were dropped at a pet store and were not for sale. I see this also as a rescue. She didn't give money to the store or make room for more. These were separate from the pet store "stock"

Good luck with these babies. Can't wait for pictures.

wonderwhiskers
07-30-09, 10:04 am
I don't see anything wrong with what you did to be honest :S Fair play to you I say!
A bit of good luck for the babies!

Paula M ..don't you think your going a little bit far? She did'nt buy them .. so the shop made nothing out of it ..all that happend was 2 little babies have fallen on their feet and got a good home.
How is that something to frown apon?

Paula
07-30-09, 10:50 am
The pet store worker said she found them on the front step of the store. Even if they were "dumped," what's to say they weren't dumped by someone who bought a pig that turned out to be pregnant and they just brought back the extra luggage? I think it's reasonably easy to paint a picture that may or may not be entirely accurate and that it's entirely possible that these babies were "found" in a cage of a female of their own stock - since dra did say for certain they had guinea pigs for sale.

Whatever their origins, I am also certain these pigs would no doubt have been sold at some point for profit. Whether or not money was exchanged for them, the pet store is still selling animals, still contributing to the cycle of breeding and selling, and has had to put out very little money at all for the care of these animals.

Yeah, okay, it's great for these two little pigs. What about the others that are still at the store being sold? In cages that are too small? Being bred back to back? Furthermore, there are no doubt still pigs in a rescue or shelter near the poster that have missed out on a great home because the OP took some unneeded stock of a pet store's hands?

All that said, she has the pigs now, and good for them. I hope they're healthy and happy little guys that live a long and happy life. No doubt they will be given excellent care by dra and her family, so yes, that part is good. And in any case, the question she asked was about hay and veggies, which seems to have been answered.

juliaaa
07-30-09, 10:54 am
Good job rescuing those pigs! Make sure you sex them in case one is a male and one is a female. We don't want any unexpected pregnancies!

dra&pigs
07-30-09, 11:01 am
I do see your point Paula, and I definitely agree with it, to some extent. I do, however, have the pigs now and they will be getting the best care possible. As for the other animals, I'm going back to talk some sense (hopefully) into that owner. When I offered to take them, she did say she wanted some money, and I refused. I think she didn't want those pigs at all, and personally I am glad I was give those guys a home.