Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is this a correct set-up?

Xebby

Cavy Slave
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and slightly new to guinea pig ownership. I came here because I have a few questions before I bring some furry friend home.

I am currently looking to adopt a pair of piggies but before I do I want to be completely prepared. I have started setting up the cage and I hope I am going in the right direction. I have 1X1 ft. grids that I acquired and have arranged them into a guinea pig cage. The bottom level is 1.5 X 2.5 grids in length and the top is 1 X 3.5, would that be enough space for 2 piggies? If needed I can rearrange the top layer and make other needed modifications. I've attached a pic of what the cage looks like so far. It is sitting on a rather large desk and the black bottom base in the picture is the bottom lining of what use to be a dog kennel. I still need to add a lining to the top level and sides of the cage. Here is my attempt:

DSCI0294.jpg

I want to stay clear away from buying from a breeder or pet store, so if anyone knows of a pair of piggies in New Mexico who need a home I'm willing to drive almost anywhere in my state and maybe southern Colorado to adopt them. I have experience working as a vet assistance and can provide complete care in all ways possible.

Thanks!

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
The cage is defiantly too small for 1 pig let alone 2.

You should have a 2x3 minimum for 2 sows, 2x4 is prefered. The second level does not add to minimum floor space, with the ramp it takes away from general floor space.

claire

Cavy Slave
Sadly, that cage is too small even for one pig. The minimum for two pigs is a 2x3 grid cage but 2x4 or more is better. It needs to be all one open area, not split over levels so your future pigs have room to run and play. Is there any reaon you can't use the grids to make it a 2x3 or 4?

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Is there any reaon you can't use the grids to make it a 2x3 or 4?

I think she wanted it to fit in the "dog kennel" bottom.

Its a very nice first attempt but too small.
I'm glad your doing your research before getting them though.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I agree with Milkingit and Claire, but I also wanted to add: Bless you for doing your research into PROPER guinea pig BEFORE getting pigs, and bless you for adopting your pigs (when you get them) instead of buying them.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you're getting your cage all set up before getting any pigs. You have the correct grids, and your food dishes are great too.

That said, you really need at least a 2x4 grid single-level cage for two pigs. After you have that, you can add in a ramp and a second level. If you get males, it should be a 2x5. I have two females in a 2x5 with a 1x2 loft and I wouldn't want it to be any smaller. Additionally, your ramp is way too steep. The pigs won't feel secure going up it. It also needs sides. You might just not have gotten to this part yet, but you will need at least two (preferably three) hideys.

The reason for the large single-level cage is that pigs need to run laps. They will be very unhappy in a cage that is too small for them to run around in. They don't climb much, so adding a loft is fine, but you need to make a large single level your first priority. Guinea pigs are different from many other rodents in this way (they are also a lot bigger). Additionally, pigs are much more likely to fight if they are in too small of a cage. They need to be able to get away from each other and have their own space.

It is really easy to build a stand out of grids. That way you don't have to worry about the cage fitting on the desk. Are you still working on finding coroplast? Because with loose bedding you will definitely want walls to the cage, otherwise the bedding will end up everywhere!

Xebby

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for the info, I'm glad I asked first before bringing any piggies home.

I added the bedding just for show but I still need to find coroplast. for now it's just help together with tape but once I get it how it should be I'll secure it with zip ties. I also have two water bottles and anouther woodedn hideaway to add. The ramp also needs some work but I'm reading up on how to buld that.

So, could I make the top level the primary level? I have room to make a 2X4 (and probably larger) grid above but I need the desk space below. The dog kennel bottom was just the right size to give me room for my computer and work space.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to work with since I share the living quarters with roommates. Keeping the piggies anywhere other then in my own room is pushing it. Come December I graduate college and will be getting a "real" job and "real" home so till then... well, I do my best.

Xebby

Cavy Slave
Ok, I want to add an update. It seems to take a while for my post to be approved since I'm new here so a lot has gone on since my last post.

I found my friends! It was mainly by word of mouth, a friend of a friend kind of thing but these piggies I adopted really needed a new home. I found them a bit faster then I thought it would take but sure happy to have them. Two little multi-colored girls with smooth coats. :) I am going to try to make an appointment with a vet this week to get them checked out.

Ok, for the cage. I went ahead and expanded the top layer to 4.5 x 2 and left the bottom alone. I am going to change to a felt bedding like I see on so many cages posted here. I am also going to try a litter box that will be filled with the loose bedding material. I have plans to perhaps add another layer above the second but I will see how this one works out first.

In the cage I have timothy hay in a holder, GP food, ceramic bowls, two water bottles - one on each level, a few chew toys, a wooden hide-away on top, a cardboard hide-away on bottom, a corner litter box and I also ordered a felt bed.

So, anymore suggestions? I really want to give my piggies the best.

I was going to add pictures again but I must have left my camera on and the batteries died.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
If the top is 4.5 grids x 2 grids, that will be great! I'm a little confused though, because in your first post, you said your cage was 3.5 x1 on top, but from the picture it looks to be 2.5 x 1.

Guinea pigs don't really use chew toys.

The bedding you see is fleece, not felt. Fleece must be prepared properly and used with the appropriate underbedding. See the sticky called The Fleece Project in the bedding section for details.

Good luck with your new girls! I'm sure you will love them!

Xebby

Cavy Slave
yes you are right it was 2.5 X 1, a little typo there, sorry. I added two more grids in length and brought it forward by one grid so it is now 4.5 x 2 with the ramp that I improved a bit.

So you say fleece, alright, I'll read up on how to prepare it. Right now I'm using regular shaving but already have found myself vacuuming up around the cage with a hand vac because I haven't found chloroplast yet. We don't have many stores that sell that kind of stuff in the small town I live in and I forgot to look when I was in Santa Fe (where I adopted my piggies). I have a Plexiglass bottom on the top for now with temporary cardboard walls.

One of the chew toys is a round nest looking ball with nuts inside it and the other a log thing. Should I take them out of the cage? At the store they were labeled for GPs and rabbits. I also just bought this fleece set on ebay:
Picture4.png

Oh, and my piggies are named Widget and Popper. I'm already really enjoying them! :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
4.5 x 2 is a great size. Once you have fleece, it's okay to not have walls. You can even use a shower curtain for the bottom. You'll need to make sure that the bottom is smooth though so they can't feel the grids.

Yes, take out the chew toys. Nuts and seeds are fattening and can be a choking hazard. Unfortunately pet stores market things for guinea pigs even though they are not good for them. The toy in the picture looks okay to me.

Your fleece set is very cute. I would lower the hammocks though, or the pigs will never be able to get to them.

Overall, it looks like an excellent cage!

Xebby

Cavy Slave
Thanks again!

The toys are out of the cage.

The picture of the set above is the pic from the auction on eBay, I just bought them today and have to wait until I receive the set in the mail to put in my cage.

I still need batteries for my camera, then I will add some of my own pictures.

juliaaa

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say a big well done to you for how quickly and willingly you have made the necessary changes. If only every new pig owner could be as responsible as you are. Great job :]

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Xebby said:
because I haven't found chloroplast yet
You are spelling it wrong so you may be pronouncing it wrong when calling around. It's coroplast. Try sign shops and printing companies.

Ok, I want to add an update. It seems to take a while for my post to be approved since I'm new here so a lot has gone on since my last post.
There are only two of us active mods right now so it takes a while for posts to get approved because neither Paula or I can be on all the time. Since you are now on Newbie status, your posts no longer have to be approved by us when posting as you've probably noticed.

Xebby

Cavy Slave
Update on cage:

I've made many changes to my cages and am still trying to get it all right. Today I added another ramp and level to the cage so I thought I should post a short video tour of the cage and see what advice I could get? Sorry it's a little dark, things seem to get darker whenever I download any video onto photobucket.

Here is the link:

I'm already making a few improvements right now. I am adding a cover to close in the skywalk to the top level and I'm adding a backing to the walkway to the hay rack so they don't jump out. They love the newest extension to the cage and have been running up and down all the ramps. Both piggies were a little camera shy in the video.

oh yeah, if you can't see in the video the size of the cage in grids is...

Kitchen: 1.5 x 2.5
Play area 3 x 2 with a 1.5 x 1 area above the kitchen where the ramp connects
Hayloft about 1 x 1.5
Top level is slightly smaller then 3 x 2
then the ramps also add some area for them to run.

I tried to make the open areas as big as I could with the limited space I have. My main goal was build around the desk and computer so I could still use them and also provide the pigs with the space they need. I also have a few other pics of the cage posted in the gallery.

Last edited:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I know I'm a little late to the game but thank you for being a responsible guinea pig owner and not only doing your research BEFORE you bring them home but also being willing to ask questions. It's very nice and refreshing to see.

The picture is a little dark but the cage looks a bit crowded. Pigs need room to run around. What kind of bedding are you using? In the original pics, it looked like pine bedding. If you left the bottom alone, it's still a bit small for 2 pigs.

Xebby

Cavy Slave
I was worried about it being crowded. The 4.5 x 2 area didn't work out so well because the ramp was too steep so I had to make it 1.5 cubes smaller on the second level. I was thinking about just removing everything from there and leave it open. They spend a lot of time in the kitchen so I would like to make it bigger but I'm having a hard time figuring out how it will fit on the desk. Now that you mention it, that area also seems crowded as well so maybe I can make some adjustments somehow...I'm thinking of how?

I got rid of the pine bedding and only use it in the litterboxes. I use fleece as the main bedding with towels underneath sitting on top of plexiglass. The fleece gets vacuumed about once a day or more as needed and changed every week.

I also got my order in from KM and am amazed at the quality of the hay and food. The pigs love it and I know they are getting good healthy food. They also get daily serving of fresh veggies and I always keep fresh water in the cage.

My roommates think I'm crazy for making the cage so big but I wish I had room to make it bigger.

Friend also comment on how active my piggies are, they say that all the guinea pigs they every met or owned were just fat and lazy and lived in small cages all alone. They are surprised how fun of a pet they can be when kept properly. I feel so sorry for those piggies they are talking about.

Last edited:

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I was worried about it being crowded. The 4.5 x 2 area didn't work out so well because the ramp was too steep so I had to make it 1.5 cubes smaller on the second level.

Honestly, what I would do is make the bottom level a stand only, remove the ramp and expand the size of the top level to what you had before. They don't need ramps and levels and would be just as happy with one large level to run around on. They like to run laps more than climb.

Welcome to the forum and kudos to you for doing your research before getting your pigs!

Xebby

Cavy Slave
Honestly, what I would do is make the bottom level a stand only, remove the ramp and expand the size of the top level to what you had before.

Brilliant! You know, I never thought about that. Then, I could even bring it forward by one cube on the side above the bottom section I have now. That would give them 4.5 x 2 pulse an extra 1 x 2 extension on that side so it's not so crowded. I should have enough cubes to do that once I rearrange the stand.

They are both about 4 months old now. Since they are still small it seems like they have enough space but I know once they become adults I'll start to notice the room. Guess I should prepare for how big they are going to get.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.