Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Litter Box

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
I know guinea pigs can never be 100% litter trained, but It would be better than having her go wherever in the cage.

I got a litter box today for her. I put it in her cage, put some bedding in it, some poos and then some hay. She just stands outside the box and eats the hay! I haven't seen her get in it actually. I use fleece. I put the box in the corner I think she goes the most, but she never sticks to it and goes all over the cage.

What else should I do to help her get the idea? :rolleyes:

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I find that they like to poo, pee where they sleep. If she has a place like a house take that out. Then she'll want to be in the box more. Also if the box is covered they are more likely to poo and pee in it too! Are you sure she can hop into it? It might be a bit high? A block for a step would work... Just keep at it. Clean out the damp stuff at least once a day and replace the hay... I hope that helps.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pigs will only litter train if they have the inclination to do so. There is nothing that we can do to force them to use a litter box. Usually though, a pig may train themselves to pee in the litter box but will still poo whereever they happen to be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.