Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Eating but losing weight

Fanch

Cavy Slave
My 4 year old female, Nibbs is still eating with gusto, is bright and alreat as always, but shes lossing weight. She was 693g on July 15 and on July 19 she was 669g, not sure what that is in oz, but im worried. I have been feeding her 10mL of Critical care twice a day, pln to bump it up to 15mL tomorrow morning. Shes still eating on her own, so thats good I guess.
I plan to talk to some of the vets tomorrow and try and get her teeth looked at, as thats the only thing that I believe could be causing this. But she shows no sign of dificulty chewing, no slober, no nothing, she looks as healthy as a horse, but just to small.

If anyone has had a simalier experience or can ofer an advice I would greaty accpreciate it.
I couldn't stand to loose my little Nibbs over something I could have fixed.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
That is a loss of less than one ounce. I would weigh her daily. If she continues to lose weight, take her to a vet ASAP. Are you weighing her at the same time each day? If not, start doing so.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd recommend getting an x ray.

Fanch

Cavy Slave
Ok, well after talking to my mom(shes a nurse), she said that since I have seen this weight drop every since I added my 3rd guinea pig to the mix, I should seperate her for a week or two and see if she gains weight, if she does then I know she needs to be fed seperate from now on; mom says its process of elimation. Of course, she also said, being a cancer nurse, that if she doesn't gain weight and keeps losing it, it could be stomach cancer, ekk!!!

But Im a little uncertain about seperating her, could I just seperate her for an hour morning and night for her to eat her veggies, mushy pellets, and hay by herself. Or I was thinking of seperating her, but letting her spend 2-4 hours with her buddies a day, but that would be really hard on their social life wouldn't it?? Shes at the bottom by the way, but even though she is, theres always a way for her to get food. What do you guys think, Im going to start with just the hour morning ad night today, till I get any replys.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would make sure that you have hay (and possibly pellets as well) in several spots in the cage so they can all get to them at the same time. It's fine to take her out for an hour or so to feed her veggies separately, but hay should be most of her diet. I would leave her with her buddies most of the time though since guinea pigs are social animals and are not as happy kept alone.

I would still get a vet appointment and rule out teeth issues or other medical problems. And be sure to weigh her daily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.