PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Indonesia...

fridzalone
07-19-09, 02:18 pm
hi all, i'm newbie here...
My name is Frida and i'm an owner of 4 piggies with unknown breeds and unknown age :sad:

Finding a GP in Indonesia is pretty difficult, actually it's not rare but only few people know how cute GP can be (most people think that GP as disgusting as rats) :weepy:

So, usually we only find GP in a pet market (which poorly condition) all in one of a very small cage (i think about 10-15 GP in 2x3grid cage). No wonder the condition of GPs is very poor, they look stressed, afraid, and dirty, some of then even have wounds on their skin (the seller said "they're biting each other's fur) . About what they eat, they've been given unlimited *unknown food (i believe it's not a GP food).
That's why i bought my first 2 GPs from the pet market, the price is cheaper and lots of GPs need new home and good care. My first 2 GP named Oreo (boar) (unknown breed, the seller only said "the Paris breed" :eye-poppi but i think he's American or Silkie, since i recognize he has straight fur like American breed and quite long fur which made me think he's Silkie) and Skippy (sow) (abyssinian). I still not sure about how old they are, but i think they're about 3-4 months old.

My 3rd GP i bought from rabbit seller who own a small rabbit kiosk, but also sell about 10 GPs, also in a small cage. And the condition is poooorly, looks like they've been forgotten because the seller busy with her rabbits :sorry:
So i bought 1 peruvian GP (boar), which i think he's around 2-3 months.
I named it Uki-Wuki.

My last GP i bought just today from the same rabbit seller, since i failed bonding them, i decided to separate Uki-Wuki and bought another one for him. For the breed, i'm not sure what she is, the seller said she's same breed with Uki-Wuki, but the fur not as long as he has (looks like a bit abyssinian to me). I think she's older than Wuki, since she's a bit bigger than him :confused:

Until now, they're still afraid of me, i think it's because they baaad past experience. And im still working on it^^

So thats it about me...^^

lissie
07-22-09, 09:21 pm
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

My first 2 GP named Oreo (boar) (unknown breed, the seller only said "the Paris breed" :eye-poppi but i think he's American or Silkie, since i recognize he has straight fur like American breed and quite long fur which made me think he's Silkie) and Skippy (sow) (abyssinian). I still not sure about how old they are, but i think they're about 3-4 months old.
I also have a boar named Oreo :) Are you keeping Oreo and Skippy in the same cage?

So i bought 1 peruvian GP (boar), which i think he's around 2-3 months.

My last GP i bought just today from the same rabbit seller, since i failed bonding them, i decided to separate Uki-Wuki and bought another one for him. For the breed, i'm not sure what she is, the seller said she's same breed with Uki-Wuki, but the fur not as long as he has (looks like a bit abyssinian to me). I think she's older than Wuki, since she's a bit bigger than him
Are you keeping Wuki in the same cage with the female?

I'm not sure if your intentions are to breed them or not, if you are, please don't. If you just simply don't know, please separate them immediately! There are many reasons why it's not good to breed your pigs.
Please read: http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Since you mentioned guinea pigs are rare in your area, you will have hard time finding a vet who will know what to do in case your pigs have pregnancy complications.

fridzalone
07-25-09, 12:30 pm
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I also have a boar named Oreo :) Are you keeping Oreo and Skippy in the same cage?

Are you keeping Wuki in the same cage with the female?
I'm not sure if your intentions are to breed them or not, if you are, please don't. If you just simply don't know, please separate them immediately! There are many reasons why it's not good to breed your pigs.
Please read: http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Since you mentioned guinea pigs are rare in your area, you will have hard time finding a vet who will know what to do in case your pigs have pregnancy complications.

Yes, i keep Oreo and Skippy in the same cage at the moment. The reason is last piggy that i bought have scabby and now in medication, so i need to separate her from the other. Oreo and Skippy are the closest to each other, since i bought them from the same seller. While Wuki having no problem being alone. So i couldn't separate Oreo and Skippy at the moment, i think i will separate them after last piggy that i bought recover from her scabs ( i haven't give her a name, i'll do it later). By choosing this way i hope Skippy won't feel lonely.

I don't wan't to breed them, or maybe if there's an *accident and my sow pregnant, i think i will give the pups to some friends that i trully know they will take a good care of them. :)

Ly&Pigs
07-25-09, 01:24 pm
You can easily avoid an "accident" by keeping males and females separated. There are too many homeless pigs in the world now. No need to create even more just because.

Besides, if you have them together on purpose, it would be intentional and not an accident if the sow were to get pregnant. So please do what is right and separate any male and female pigs before it's too late.

fridzalone
07-25-09, 01:42 pm
You can easily avoid an "accident" by keeping males and females separated. There are too many homeless pigs in the world now. No need to create even more just because.

Besides, if you have them together on purpose, it would be intentional and not an accident if the sow were to get pregnant. So please do what is right and separate any male and female pigs before it's too late.

Does it means it's okay for Skippy to live alone for a moment until the other sow recover from the scabbies? If it's okay, i'll separate them by now.

akstrohm
07-25-09, 02:07 pm
First of all, welcome to the forum! Please read all the stickies here--there is a lot of great information.

Yes, separate the boars and sows immediately. They will be fine if they are apart for a while, and when all pigs are recovered, you can put all the boars in one cage and all the sows in the other. Make sure your pigs are all sexed properly (don't rely on what other people told you).

Pregnancy in guinea pigs very often leads to death for both the sow and the pups. There are many common complications that lead to a lot of suffering. So separate them immediately. You should also weigh your girls regularly to see if they gain weight. A lot of weight gain may mean that they are pregnant.

You'll need to find a vet experienced with guinea pigs ASAP, whether they are pregnant or not.

In the future, please don't pay for guinea pigs from breeders. These people are making money off of keeping their animals in horrible conditions and putting them at great risk (as I said before, death is a very common result of pregnancy in guinea pigs). Instead, keep an eye out for people who kept them as pets and are offering them up for adoption. If fewer people support breeders, breeding guinea pigs will become less profitable.

fridzalone
07-25-09, 02:09 pm
First of all, welcome to the forum! Please read all the stickies here--there is a lot of great information.

Yes, separate the boars and sows immediately. They will be fine if they are apart for a while, and when all pigs are recovered, you can put all the boars in one cage and all the sows in the other. Make sure your pigs are all sexed properly (don't rely on what other people told you).

Pregnancy in guinea pigs very often leads to death for both the sow and the pups. There are many common complications that lead to a lot of suffering. So separate them immediately. You should also weigh your girls regularly to see if they gain weight. A lot of weight gain may mean that they are pregnant.

You'll need to find a vet experienced with guinea pigs ASAP, whether they are pregnant or not.

In the future, please don't pay for guinea pigs from breeders. These people are making money off of keeping their animals in horrible conditions and putting them at great risk (as I said before, death is a very common result of pregnancy in guinea pigs). Instead, keep an eye out for people who kept them as pets and are offering them up for adoption. If fewer people support breeders, breeding guinea pigs will become less profitable.

Okay, i'll separate them now.
Thanks a lot^^