Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

To Those Who Breed

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Courtsey of The Humane Society of the United States ....

HSUS Pet Overpopulation Estimates

Number of cats and dogs entering shelters each year:
6-8 million (HSUS estimate)

Number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year:
3-4 million (HSUS estimate)

Number of cats and dogs adopted from shelters each year:
3-4 million (HSUS estimate)

Number of cats and dogs reclaimed by owners from shelters each year:
Between 600,000 and 750,000 -- 30% of dogs and 2-5% of cats entering shelters (HSUS estimate)

Number of animal shelters in the United States:
Between 4,000 and 6,000 (HSUS estimate)

Percentage of dogs in shelters who are purebred:
25% (HSUS estimate)

Average number of litters a fertile cat can produce in one year: 3

Average number of kittens in a feline litter: 4-6

In seven years, one female cat and her offspring can theoretically produce 420,000 cats.

Average number of litters a fertile dog can produce in one year: 2

Average number of puppies in a canine litter: 6-10

In six years, one female dog and her offspring can theoretically produce 67,000 dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
HAH! Take that breeders! Maybe this will open your eyes. Thanks for the info, Susan!

sasha

Cavy Slave
so what is the theoretical number for guinea pigs in one year?

Katie

Cavy Slave
sasha said:
so what is the theoretical number for guinea pigs in one year?
No, thats for dogs and cats, the numbers are even more stagering for guinea pigs as they reproduce more quickly.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
And rabbits.

sasha

Cavy Slave
I understand that's for dogs and cats, which is why I asked "what is the theoretical number for guinea pigs?"

I would still like to know if anyone has bothered to add it up.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Well, a female guinea pig can reproduce about every 60-70 days, since gestation period is somewhere along the lines of 56-72 days and they can get pregnant immediately.
The average pups per litter: 3-5

So, say that thise female is kept in a cage with a male all the time. And all of her children are female. Let's say: 3-5 females. They can get pregnant at 4 weeks. So.... The average female guinea pig can produce:

365/60

About 6 times a year. That equals to 18-30 offspring. In one year. So if they all reproduce, that is:
18*3-5
54 pups from the females/ 90 young'ns from the bred.

So, in one year, from one female and one male, this produces :
72-120 offspring. That's ONLY from one female. If she is kept with the male/s at all times. So just keep adding more and more.

I think I got this right, if I didn't, someone correct me.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If someone wants to do the math, you should use 3.5 as a good average for pups per litter. As far as litters per year with constant back-to-back breeding before she'll die? hmmm. Not sure.

68-72 days gestation, fertility cycle of 15-17 days, fertile at 4-6 weeks, breeding life of female is 4-5 years.

I suppose there is the 'theoretical' number and a more conservative, 'realm of possibility' number. But those are the stats I think you need to work it out.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
If someone wants to do the math, you should use 3.5 as a good average for pups per litter. As far as litters per year with constant back-to-back breeding before she'll die? hmmm. Not sure.

68-72 days gestation, fertility cycle of 15-17 days, fertile at 4-6 weeks, breeding life of female is 4-5 years.

I suppose there is the 'theoretical' number and a more conservative, 'realm of possibility' number. But those are the stats I think you need to work it out.
Thank you Teresa, I'm going to try that again. That was just more of rounding, I guess. Or should, since I'm almost sure that the normal liter is 3-5 pups, should the average just be 4? Thanks for telling me the real numbers. I'll try it again.

sasha

Cavy Slave
If you use a sum of squares formula, which takes into account the babies of the offspring, of the offspring, of the offspring, etc,etc. Starting with one pair, and having them and all their offspring breed at maximum capacity for the entire life of the original female (I used 4.5 years breeding time for her life) You would have just under ten thousand pigs.

Obviously this would never happen, but if you factor in all the things that back yard breeders do that would kill their pigs, poor diet, imbreeding, etc, not getting vet care. And took out all those pigs, along with about half of the others because they may not actually breed that fast and get pregnant every time, my guess is you would have about 250 pigs at the end of that 4.5 years. I don't think its a coincidence that there have been seizures of back yard breeding pigs that have numbered about that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.