Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rats and a C and C cage

PiggieLover4

Cavy Slave
Hello all. I am going to be getting a rat soon. While it's only a baby now, I was wondering if anyone knew about what age I could start to use a C and C cage. Also I have 9x9 grids. Will I need to put wire on or something to keep even an adult from escaping? Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Small adult females are known to get out. You should check out ferret nations.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have found that C&C's aren't really good for rats. I have female and male ratties and my 2 year old adult males can squeeze through the holes on 9x9 hole grids. And they are pretty good sized boys.

If you put mesh all the way around and use closet shelving for a lid (maybe modified too), you might be able to get by with a C&C but not an unmodified one.

I have a Ferret Nation cage and they are great, but they too have to be modified for young rats.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Check out the Other Pets gallery photos by Ginger_fish and Fadedcoat. They both made rat cages out of mesh cubes and binder clips (to block the corner holes).

weepert2

Cavy Slave
My eye too was caught by these cages and thought they would be a good new home for my 6 rats. But reading over everyone's posts makes me a bit worried about spending the money for C&C cages. FN cages are just WAY out of my price range at the moment. So, is there anyone out there with the apparently hard-to-find 9x9 cavies and rats?????

heartpiggies

Cavy Slave
I don't really see a C&C cage working for rats. The grid spaces are too large and it would be difficult to build a cage that was tall enough with adequate climbing opportunities. Rats love to climb and are very adept at escaping their enclosures so you definitely couldn't do an open one level cage LOL.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
check the baby proofing section i saw grids that were apparently safe for babies and rats

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.