Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Could my guinea pig be pregnant?

Mama&Baby

Cavy Slave
Hi,
Ever since we got my two pigs from the rescue, we've noticed that they've gained some weight. I know this is normal, since they are now fed much better, but I've wondered lately if one of the pigs is pregnant. When I hold her, I can feel this "bubbly" feeling in her stomach. Could it be the babies, if she is pregnant? The worker at the shelter didn't say anything about her living with males in the cage, but I can't be sure that she didn't. There was a male guinea pig at the shelter, but I don't know if they ever came in contact. So, do you think my pig is pregnant?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It is impossible to tell from your description. If you want a more definitive answer, you should schedule a vet appointment.

Smudge & Monkey

Cavy Slave
its definitely possible. Do you feel this bubbly feeling while you have your hands on her? or do you feel it on your legs when she's on your lap? (if you can feel it on your legs I would say its definitely little feet kicking and she's quite late stage pregnant) if its on your hands then she could still be pregnant, or it could be tummy rumbles possibly (though I would think you would be unlikely to feel rumbling with your hands??)

Your vet can feel a pregnancy in its later stages by hand (and should only charge you a consult fee). But if you want to find out in the very early stages you would need an ultrasound which is quite costly.

How long have you had the piggies?

Mama&Baby

Cavy Slave
its definitely possible. Do you feel this bubbly feeling while you have your hands on her? or do you feel it on your legs when she's on your lap? (if you can feel it on your legs I would say its definitely little feet kicking and she's quite late stage pregnant) if its on your hands then she could still be pregnant, or it could be tummy rumbles possibly (though I would think you would be unlikely to feel rumbling with your hands??)

Your vet can feel a pregnancy in its later stages by hand (and should only charge you a consult fee). But if you want to find out in the very early stages you would need an ultrasound which is quite costly.

How long have you had the piggies?

I feel it when I have my hands on her, and I've had them for about a month or so.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.