Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

mom refusing

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
My four pups are three days old today. And I had noticed today that mom is refusing to feed one pup. It is only the one pup she will let the others nurse from her, But not the one. Although it has gained weight since they where born, And it is the only one eating pellets and veggies. The others nibble on veggies but not pellets yet. Is this something I should be concerned about?:?:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Probably nothing to get concerned over. Is the pup trying to nurse? Sows only have two nipples so they would have to nurse in rotations.

Maybe take the other pups out for laptime and watch the one pup with mom.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Are you weighing mom and pups daily?

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
Yes I do take the pups out for lap time. And leave just the one in there. She runs away like a mad woman. Running and hiding. Its like she dont want to nurse it at all. The pup weighted about 145 grams the day it was born. And now weighs 162 grams in three days which its siblings only weigh in at about 155-158 grams today. So I'm not sure what the mom's deal is. And mom lost about a pound since she gave birth is that normal too?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
She had 4 pups so she would have lost weight. Just weigh her daily at the same time and see if she's still losing.

I wouldn't worry a lot about the one pup not nursing as long as he/she is eating well on his/her own and is gaining weight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.