Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage C&C Adjustment Period?

PointerPigMom

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I was just wondering how long it takes a cavey to get adjusted to their new C&C cage? I made a nice, stable and beautiful cage for Penny Lane (my piggie) and when I put her in there, she sniffed a few of the toys, made her way up the ramp to the top level and then proceed to just sit next to her hay bin/food dish in her own refuse for two days straight. I tried bribing her to explore the cage with strategically placed lettuce, but she was having none of it. She wasn’t doing laps or pop-corning or anything, so I put her back in her Petco cage and she started running laps and giving happy squeaks immediately. Is this common, and is there anyway to make the transition to C&C more comfortable for her? I have been thinking about husbandry, but there is no way that would be possible in her little cage.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sometimes it can take several days or more for them to adjust to new surroundings.

What do you mean by husbandry? Breeding? Please don't breed while there are thousands of homeless pigs out there needing homes. Also sows have a 20% chance of not surviving and pups often die as well. There was a member who just posted a few days ago about a pig giving birth to 4 pups then dying and 2 pups died as well.

claire

Cavy Slave
My pigs took several days to adjust to being in a big cage. They seemed intimidated by the space as they'd never experienced it before. Once they realised it was all for them and nothing bad was lurking ready to gobble them up, they soon started taking advantage of it.

Ditto Ly about breeding, it's a risk just not worth taking when there are unwanted pigs being euthanised everywhere.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I agree with Ly and Claire. Also, she might be more willing to explore if she had a friend (another cavy) of the SAME SEX.

Luvs_Piggies

Cavy Slave
I just recently got a C&C cage as well for Laverne and Shirley. They loved it the first day but now they seem to be totally irritated with each other. They are waving their butts and just don't seem to be happy. I have been told to give them a couple days just to get used to the size of the cage and the new space. I sure hope they start to enjoy it soon :(

claire

Cavy Slave
Luvs_Piggies - it sounds like your girls are going through normal dominance routines. 'The Boss' has to be established for every place they live. Give them time, I'm sure they'll be fine.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I tried bribing her to explore the cage with strategically placed lettuce, but she was having none of it. She wasn’t doing laps or pop-corning or anything, so I put her back in her Petco cage and she started running laps and giving happy squeaks immediately. Is this common, and is there anyway to make the transition to C&C more comfortable for her?
You can try putting more tunnels and hideys in there. She might feel safer if there are lots of places to hide. Mine really like bent grid tunnels with fleece cover.

I have been thinking about husbandry, but there is no way that would be possible in her little cage.
Please don't breed. There are so many piggies in shelters and rescues.

Please ADOPT her a friend. She will be much happier with a companion.

PointerPigMom

Cavy Slave
Sorry about the confusion with "husbandry." I have no intentions of ever breeding piggies, it is just the term that the vet used when talking about getting her a friend to keep company with. I will try to add more tunnels and give her a little bit longer to try and adjust. Thanks for the tips!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sorry about the confusion with "husbandry." I have no intentions of ever breeding piggies, it is just the term that the vet used when talking about getting her a friend to keep company with. I will try to add more tunnels and give her a little bit longer to try and adjust. Thanks for the tips!
That's good to hear. I was a little confused by your statement.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Husbandry refers to the style of care. Many forums use it to describe cleanliness of cage, propper vet, food, etc. It's used a lot on reptile forums especially turtles. (I currently have two painted turtles). It's also used in raising plants.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.