Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

4 Pups Lost 2 **need help please**

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

My name is Kim and I am a new cavy slave. We purchased 2 females from the petstore and when one became pregnant we realized that they are male and female.

6 days ago our momma cavy (sweetheart) gave birth to 4 gorgeous pups. Within 24 hours unfortunatly we lost 2. The 2 remaining pups are strong and active and are cute as can be.

My question is this: we are about a week postpartom and Sweetheart is beginning to be lathargic. She lays around most the day and has some crusting on one eye. Is she recovering or sick?

Diet during pregnancy is the same as postpartum (although we have beefed up the amount now that she is nursing)

Store bought mixture
Fresh lettuce
Apples
Orange Slices
Melon Slices
Carrots

((Occasional store bought yogurt treats))

I am very attached to these piggies and since the loss of the two pups I am not sure I could lose the momma too.

Any advice? Am I a worried new grandma or is there something more going on?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
First, I'd like to say I am sorry for your losses.

You need to take the Momma pig to the vet, it's extremely important you find a cavy savvy vet today. Lethargy and crusty eyes are both signs of illness. Without treatment, she could get worse and possibly die herself.

Next, have you removed the male pig?

Your diet is lacking. Fruits are high in sugars and need to be fed in tiny amounts no more than once or twice per week. Lettuce is good daily but you need more daily things like bell pepper (for Vitamin C), cilantro, etc.

I am not sure what you mean by store bought mixture. Is that the pellets? If so, please ditch the pellet mix. Cavies need a high quality plain pellet. Nothing with seeds, bits or dried veggies in it as mixes cause obesity and pose a high risk for choking.

Ditch the yogurt treats as cavies are lactose intolerant. Those are bad for pigs.

No where do I see you mention hay. Grass hay such as timothy, bermuda, brome, orchard, meadow, bluegrass is essential and needs to be given in unlimited amounts daily to help aid in digestion and help to keep the molars (back teeth) worn down.

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
**I forgot to mention that I read on another page to give her some vitamin C mixed with water in a dropper. So I have done that earlier today.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
What kind of C? Human C supplement or the stuff like you would put into their water?

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
Oh my, I am feeling just horrible. All this time we thought we were giving them the best diet possible. Is her sickness pregnancy related or diet or something else? Is she going to get the pups sick?

Should I stop feeding the piggies things that are store bought? The YoDips were in the cavy section and have a guinea photo on the bag.

Also yes, the mixture has pellets, seeds and crunchy bites. I will stop feeding them that as well.

I will add more things like bell peppers and stop giving them as much fruit.

There is plenty of hay in the cages (Timothy Hay) we are surrounded by alfalfa fields on our property but were told to purchase Timothy because alfalfa causes stones.

Sweetheart and Romeo have been separated ever since we found out she was a girl and he was a boy (they were having floor time and I caught them in "the.act").....nice way to find out you have a boy and not 2 girls right?!

I am calling around to vets in Palm Springs and Phoenix (the 2 closest cities) but both are over an hour away.

I will update when I find out more...

And thanks for the advice I am pretty upset by all this. We didn't want a boy and a girl for this exact reason (cavy loss and pregnancy issues)

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
What kind of C? Human C supplement or the stuff like you would put into their water?

The pet drops that you add to the water or food.

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
Got an appointment for her tonight. I am so worried about her now. We leave for Palm Springs as soon as my DH comes home (30 minutes).

I will update you on the outcome, I hope the drive doesn't make her worse.

Thanks again for your help.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
No yogurt drops and no Vit. C drops. It can make the water taste funny and have they'll drink less when it tastes weird.

You can give babies under six months and pregnant/nursing cavies alfalfa hay. But only as a supplement. Like 2 parts timothy 1 part alfalfa.

I suggest getting Oxbow pellets as they're best.

As said, get her to a vet ASAP. Cavies go down hill fast.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Should I stop feeding the piggies things that are store bought? The YoDips were in the cavy section and have a guinea photo on the bag.
Yes, please stop feeding them. As I said, cavies are lactose intolerant and yogurt is a dairy product. Just because some things have a picture of a cavy on them does not mean they are good or even safe for them. They market all kinds of crappy treats that guinea pigs should not have and they put pictures of guinea pigs on exercise wheels and balls and they should never be used because cavies spines don't bend that way and they can cause serious harm.

If you need to supplement with Vitamin C, please get the human kind or the Oxbow C tabs. If you get your piggies on a balanced veggie diet they won't need the supplement. They should get no more than 10-30 mg/kg per day. Too much C can lead to a condition known as pseudo scurvy.

If you haven't read the stickies in the diet and nutrition forum, please go do so.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Oh my, I am feeling just horrible. All this time we thought we were giving them the best diet possible. Is her sickness pregnancy related or diet or something else? Is she going to get the pups sick?

Don't feel bad. Many folks here found this site just as you have and were doing all of the things that they thought were right for their pigs. It's not your fault so don't beat yourself up. People see guinea pigs on packages and assume that the item/treat is safe. Why wouldn't you? Look through the stickies, poke around all over the site, and ask questions. You'll find out a ton of information. Some that you didn't even know that you should know ;) You've been given good information as a jumping off point already.

Welcome to the forum and good luck at the vet.

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
Sad news. She didn't make it.

The livestock and dem vet here in town called and took us in before we left for PS. We took her there, he diagnosed her with Pneumonia and stress. He gave her a couple of vitamin shots and some anti-biotics to take home. Before we made it back home she was gone.

I am so sad, I don't know what to do. We lost the two pups after birth and now mom. I am just devistated.

How do I care for these orphaned pups?

I am sorry if I sound angry, I am a little, but mostly just so sad. I was very attached to her.

chellelee8

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for you loss. I hope that the pups are doing well.

ILHoneyandCustard

Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry for you loss... I hope that the babies Pull through...

The babies are what 6 days old they should be nibbleing at hay,grass, and pellets..

I would try and get some critical care( it is form oxbow) If you cannot find Critical care buy some oxbow cavy performance and soak the pellets into a mash.

Divetalac (make sure it is the one for herbivores) it is a substitute milk that i used for my girl when her mum rejected her and the same stuff our rescue uses for sick piggies that need to have supliment feeding...

Both these should be given VIA seringe

Some babies will take the supliments others may not and just eat normally.

Weigh them everyday to make sure they are not lossing any weight..

Good luck and keep us posted

claire

Cavy Slave
I have never cared for babies so I have no advice for you, I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help advise you. In the meantime it's worth using the 'search' function to look for people with similar stories.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I have no advice, never having had newborns, but wanted to say how sorry I am for your losses. That's so sad. I'm glad you're on here looking for advice - I am sure someone will know what to do.

Beahbeah

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry about your losses. You obviously did your best, so don't feel guilty. And you have every right to feel angry too, unfortunately you had to find out the hard way how little the welfare of animals means to the pet stores that sell them, and why the members of this forum dislike pet stores so much.

Just keep asking questions and read through the threads here, you'll find a ton of useful information that you can put to use to give your pigs the best life possible.

Baby guinea pigs can eat solid food right after being born, so keep making sure they have hay and veggies that are good sources of vitamin C. I'm not sure about whether or not they'll need some sort of substitute for their mother's milk, so maybe ask a cavy savvy vet about that, or somebody on the forum may have the answer.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
The babies are what 6 days old they should be nibbleing at hay,grass, and pellets.
Wrong, they will start eating solid foods within 24-48 hours.

Divetalac (make sure it is the one for herbivores) it is a substitute milk that i used for my girl when her mum rejected her and the same stuff our rescue uses for sick piggies that need to have supliment feeding.
No reason to use this stuff. If the pups aren't eating on their own it's better to give them a pellet mash or some critical care mixed with plain pedialyte.

Kimberly, I am sorry you lost the Momma. Put the pups in with dad and let him help take care of them and show them the ropes. Remove any female pups at 21 days to another cage.

keehnle

Cavy Gazer
Just wanted to say sorry for your losses.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Wrong, they will start eating solid foods within 24-48 hours.

I'm pretty sure that's what the previous poster was saying - that since they are about 6 days postpartum, they'll be eating that kind of thing by now.

kimberlyg

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I am going into town (we live in a rural area) this weekend so I will pick up some ox-bow. In the meantime I took some pellets and put them in a coffee grinder. I made two batches, one thicker for them to eat on their own and one that is strained so it is mostly a pellet water that I am giving them through a syringe.

We named them Fudge and Honey seem to be doing ok but I am so scared. Both are eating hay and veggies.

Fudge won't take the mixture but loves hay and Honey can't get enough of the pellet water. I just hold it and let (her?) nurse from it.

Right now they are both sleeping in my lap. I just can't put them down.

I have been searching all over the internet so I hope we can save these two. We were going to adopt them out but after all that we have been through losing the two other pups and now momma, I just can't let them out of my sight. They are with us to stay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.