Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

trolling

Access

Cavy Slave
First, there are other sites dedicated to trolling + 'starting flame-wars' where this site may be cited often, many of the threads started recently seem to follow this pattern. A newly registered poster who likely does not have any animals at all starts a thread with the intention of getting people riled up and starting a 'flame-war'. For some people out there, this is a hobby, they spend their time frequenting forums of one type or another and trying to start these things. There are websites out there dedicated to this hobby and finding ideal 'trolling grounds' where trolls can get the attention they crave.

Life of a typical troll: Today he goes to a guinea pig board and posts 'my pig mounted a bunny' and so on. Tommorow he goes to a model airplane board and posts 'people who build models have no life'. After a while, it becomes an addiction and he can't stop.

Sometimes they even work with confedorates or others. Notice how this board will be relatively quiet for a week or so and then the activity level goes back up again. Sometimes they post on pre-existing threads, but more often they start their own. Try to pin them down about anything and they'll just accuse you. Often times they post multiple times or many times in quick sucession, and the fact they are self-absorbed is obvious in their posts. They often appear to be very concerned how others perceive their online persona, ie. someone who repeatedly posts 'I am a girl'. It becomes obvious they aren't here for informative needs, they just want to spread misconceptions about themselves and get people 'riled up' and flaming them, flaming each other, etc. For them, the whole thing is just a game.

Most people who care about animals are not self-absorbed, since it takes a different mindset than only caring about yourself to care for an animal.

The best thing you can do is just to ignore them and let them find another board to troll on. Maybe a quick informational post with a link to the site is all that's needed. There's no sense in even arguing as it's unlikely the poster even owns a pig in the first place.

Don't feed the trolls!

Most of the true trolls are obvious and their threads are closed and they are banned. I find that people are too quick to jump to the troll label. Yelling troll on a post when someone just ignorant is one of the things that should not be done. I find it done too frequently here and on some other boards.

If you suspect a post is from a troll, do not yell troll on the post. Please either email or PM myself or one or all of the moderators. We will decide if we think it is a troll and will close a thread if necessary. We've closed several in the past and actually deleted some inflamatory posts from an otherwise okay thread.

/sarcasm on
Great idea. Now whenever we don't agree with someone's opinion, we can just write them off as a troll.
/sarcasm off

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that trolls don't exist. I know this forum has seen its far share. However, I disagree with your trolling example of "my pig mounted a bunny". The thread you are referring to was posted with all seriousness, in my opinion. The author, Guineagurl, is not a troll, to the best of my knowledge, so I think it's unfair of you to single out her post as an example of trolling. You simply didn't like what she posted, but that doesn't make her a troll. That's called a differing opinion.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again, this is a hostile forum, and we don't need to make it easier for people to be hostile by giving them a "tag" that can be slapped on an opinion they don't like.

/sarcasm on
Great idea. Now whenever we don't agree with someone's opinion, we can just write them off as a troll.
/sarcasm off

Who are you talking to? Didn't I just say "I find that people are too quick to jump to the troll label." Didn't I just ask that we NOT jump to labelling people as trolls? In point of fact, we've had very few true trolls on this forum--not even our 'fair' share, in my opinion. Less than 5, I believe. Krysanthemum, as the administrator, had I thought that guineagurl was a troll, it would have been dealt with.

I'm also tired of you constantly labeling this forum as hostile. That, in and of itself, is "hostile." So how about you set an example of what you'd like, rather than being a part of what you profess to not like.

I think Krysanthemum was referring to Access's post where he/she said,

Access said:
Life of a typical troll: Today he goes to a guinea pig board and posts 'my pig mounted a bunny' and so on.

I know she was tactically referring to that post, but, I'm asking more rhetorically regarding her comment with sarcasm which I quoted. It should have been quite clear that the administrator of the forum trumps the member's post on posting policy and suggestions. So, I find her stirring the pot comments to be inappropriate for one who thinks this site is hostile.

Krysanthemum -

In the medical/psychiatric world, it has been theorized that some people thrive on conflict and seek to create it or make the most of it in all situations. Perhaps that explains why you continue to post on a board you have consistently found so "hostile"?? If the so-called hostility of this forum truly offended you, the logical thing would be for you to leave and not come back. After all, there are other guinea pig websites out there where you could get your information and tell you own stories. So why do you stay on a forum, whose atmosphere you find so objectionable? It actually appears that you *cause* some hostility with the type of remarks you make. What could make people more defensive than to be labled so derogatorily? Perhaps your intent is to create more drama, as everyone rushes to defend themselves, their posts, and this forum?

Just a thought! Have a great day.

Who are you talking to? Didn't I just say "I find that people are too quick to jump to the troll label." Didn't I just ask that we NOT jump to labelling people as trolls?

My apologies, I made an error. I was commenting only on the first post by Access, and did not mention that I did appreciate your following comments. I simply wanted to clear up the suggestion that Guineagurl's post was an example of trolling, not suggest that you weren't doing anything about trolling in general.

I'm also tired of you constantly labeling this forum as hostile. That, in and of itself, is "hostile." So how about you set an example of what you'd like, rather than being a part of what you profess to not like.

With all due respect, I thought I was leading by example. Whenever I reply to a comment, I do so as intelligently as possible and without resorting to name calling. Yes, occasionally I get a bit sarcastic but I clearly label such comments so that as little offense is given as possible.

My repeated labelling of the forum as hostile is my effort towards pursuading people to be more polite to each other, not just write each other off for disagreeing with their strongly held views, usually with insults. For example, I was once called "ridiculous" five times in the one reply. Hardly constructive criticism.

I understand that the subject matter in this forum is passionate for a number of people, but I don't see that as a reason to be rude to others with differing views. Everyone reading and participating in this board has a comment interest, the care and wellbeing of cavies, but there doesn't seem to be a strong level of respect for each other than I see on other forums.

If you want me to shut up and stop challenging people, fine, I will. I never really thought I'd make that much of an impact, but I believe in trying nevertheless. I just don't see how encouraging politeness can be a bad thing.

Susan9608 said:
Krysanthemum -

In the medical/psychiatric world, it has been theorized that some people thrive on conflict and seek to create it or make the most of it in all situations. Perhaps that explains why you continue to post on a board you have consistently found so "hostile"?? If the so-called hostility of this forum truly offended you, the logical thing would be for you to leave and not come back. After all, there are other guinea pig websites out there where you could get your information and tell you own stories. So why do you stay on a forum, whose atmosphere you find so objectionable? It actually appears that you *cause* some hostility with the type of remarks you make. What could make people more defensive than to be labled so derogatorily? Perhaps your intent is to create more drama, as everyone rushes to defend themselves, their posts, and this forum?

Just a thought! Have a great day.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I would have to disagree with you. I have never stated that I find the hostility of this board objectionable, I just consider it a challenge to attempt to change it for the better.

Do I thrive on conflict? I don't think so. Am I contributing to the hostility by pointing it out? It could be interpreted that way, but again, I don't think so. Do I sometimes find the hostility on this board amusing? Damn right, I think everyone spoils for a fight occasionally. Am I mainly here for the advice on my piggies? Absolutely.

But, most of all, I do cause the hostility? Hell no, the hostility was here long before I got my two girls and started investigating their wellbeing. I do not start the hostility, I point it out so that perhaps some people will recognise that their comments were not well thought out.

Krysanthemum -

Hmmm ....

Choice A: "This board is hostile."

Choice B: "I think we ought to be more polite and tolerant of other people's views."

Which approach do you think actually encourages people to be polite? I think Choice A, utilized by you a number of times, is - as Cavy Spirit said - hostile and does nothing to "encourage politeness".

And as for being sarcastic, but trying not to be offensive while being sarcastic, perhaps the definition of "sarcasm" would be of benefit to you ...

"A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound."
"A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule."

Sarcasm, while often funny, is inherently offensive.

Susan9608 said:
Krysanthemum -

Hmmm ....

Choice A: "This board is hostile."

Choice B: "I think we ought to be more polite and tolerant of other people's views."

Which approach do you think actually encourages people to be polite? I think Choice A, utilized by you a number of times, is - as Cavy Spirit said - hostile and does nothing to "encourage politeness".
What you say is true - however, I would make the point that I never said simply "this board is hostile". It was never that blank or simple. If that had been the case, then yes, I would consider myself open to criticism. However, every time I have made that comment, I have explained why I think it is so and suggested alternatives. So perhaps you would admit that my comments have been a combination of both Choice A and Choice B.

Susan9608 said:
And as for being sarcastic, but trying not to be offensive while being sarcastic, perhaps the definition of "sarcasm" would be of benefit to you ...

"A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound."
"A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule."

Sarcasm, while often funny, is inherently offensive.
Certainly, that is one definition of sarcasm. However, I believe it to be a little outdated considering the modern concept of humour. Sarcasm is a regularly employed method of making a point, although as you point out, sometimes offensively.

If you considered my comments to be offensive, please forgive me. But if you thought that was offensive, here's a definition for you.

con·de·scend (broken link removed) ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (knd-snd)
intr.v. con·de·scend·ed, con·de·scend·ing, con·de·scends
  1. To descend to the level of one considered inferior; lower oneself. See Synonyms at stoop[size=-1]1[/size].
  2. To deal with people in a patronizingly superior manner.
Please see the second notation. While I understand your comments are polite and probably well meant, I also consider them offensive and condescending. See how a well intentioned comment can be misunderstood, particularly in written form?

Thanks but i am not a troll.
I did post pictures of my pigs and its home.

I never lied about anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.