Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Upgrading...but is it enough room?

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
We're upgrading soon to a 2x5 for our three guinea pigs.
But after you put in the essentials, hideys,hay,food,water...is there a enough room for them to exercise?
For the summer at least they get to play in the newly available hall way space, which equals a 3x7 space. We leave them in there from 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
I was just wondering if we should make some lofts so they have the bottom area to play..:melodrama

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, it is sufficient. That said, bigger is always better. I like having a hay loft to keep the hay and pellets out of the way. This keeps the hay off of the fleece, and it gives the pigs more room to run. My ramp lands on a hidey so it doesn't take up floor space. You can also be creative with other types of ramps that don't take away from floor space (see the gallery for ideas).

Unless you need it for other things, another option is to just keep them in the hallway permanently.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
We couldn't do that. I wouldn't trust some people in my family, they tend to not be the most observant people in the world. hehe
Yeah, We didn't like the lofts because it made cleaning harder.
We want a simple cage it's just I'm worried it's not enough space. We just have enough extra grids to go from a 2x3 to a 2x5.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 is way to small for three pigs, so going to a 2x5 would be definitely better. It's the minimum requirement for three pigs.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I'm aware. That's why we're making the 2x5.
Villie was always alone in quarantine.(In the petstore cage.)
They've never been in it together. We've been waiting to upgrade the cage for when it was up. We finally got the new coroplast today.
I was just wondering if we should make a loft in the future or if it'll be enough space for them to exercise. :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Sometimes lofts take away from floor space. You could go with the design you currently plan to have and then change it if you want.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
The loft actually makes cleaning much easier for me because it keeps the hay contained. It is not hard to reach under it since it is only one grid wide.

It's your choice whether or not to add a loft... the fact that you're making it a 2x5 is what matters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.