PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss Mudbud eats and eats---

ResqMomma
07-13-09, 08:35 pm
But he is still skinny. He gets pelt food and fresh fruits and vegetables through out the day, like his 4 'brothers'. We also give them fresh grass, clover and plantain leaves too.

I will be honest, right now I can't afford to take him to the vet so I am trying to avoid that.

Also, he has some hair loss on his back legs, and when he scratches sometimes it's like he goes into a seizure. I know someone else posted some thing similar because I replied that I was glad I saw it.

Is there anything I can do on an over the counter bases and not have to take him to the vet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Paula
07-13-09, 09:58 pm
The scratching sounds like mites. That can be treated at home with ivermectin (http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html). It definitely does need to be treated, because left untreated, mites cause extreme pain, and death in severe cases (from dehydration).

As for the weight issue. It could be malocclusion (http://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html), or it could be a number of other issues that need attention straight away.

In either case, the pig needs veterinary care. I can understand a money crunch, but this pig is dependent entirely on you for his care, medical and otherwise. I strongly suggest you start a vet fund because guinea pigs, like any other animal, need medical treatment from time to time (some more than others). It's you, as his owner, that's tasked with making sure all his needs are met, and that means appropriate veterinary care when it's called for instead of hoping for an over-the-counter remedy.

krittercrazy
07-13-09, 10:12 pm
You don't mention hay as a part of their diet. They do need grass hay constantly. I noticed in your introduction that the piggies are handled a lot. Maybe he could spend more time in his cage. Have you been weighing him regularly, is he maintaining, loosing? How old is he?
A vet visit is a good idea.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-13-09, 10:27 pm
Ditto Paula. This pig needs medical attention.

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 11:13 am
We went to the vet.... Mudbud has mites so they gave him a shot and an oral antibotic that he gets for 10 days. He goes back next week for the second shot. It like taking one of the children to the doctor. Cost more than the children's visits too.

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 02:42 pm
Mudbud was diagnosed with mites. What causes mites and what can be done to prevent them coming back? He is being treated by the way.

I do have him in a cage to himself and have gave the main cage a good cleaning.

Paula
07-14-09, 02:59 pm
It's likely you still need to treat the other pigs.

What is he being treated with?

This is a good page on mites:
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 03:10 pm
The vet gave him a shot of something and I can't remember the name and he will need a follow up shot next week. One of my children moved the receipt so I can't look on that. He is also on Baypril (does that sound right?) antibotic by mouth for 10 days.

Paula
07-14-09, 03:12 pm
It's probably a shot of Ivermectin. I strongly suggest treating the other pigs as well, especially if they have been living in close proximity to this pig.

Baytril is a safe antibiotic for pigs. Are you also giving a probiotic?

Pulsepoint129
07-14-09, 03:14 pm
The vet gave him a shot of something and I can't remember the name and he will need a follow up shot next week. One of my children moved the receipt so I can't look on that. He is also on Baypril (does that sound right?) antibotic by mouth for 10 days.

Baytril. Hopefully that should do the trick!

Hopefully your piggies will be better taking the medicine than my Felix was.

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 03:16 pm
I am not giving a probiotic. What is that?
Thank you for being helpful.
I feel like it's my fault Mudbud got mites.

Pulsepoint129
07-14-09, 03:18 pm
I am not giving a probiotic. What is that?
Thank you for being helpful.
I feel like it's my fault Mudbud got mites.

Benebac is a good one. It helps curb diarrhea.

Paula
07-14-09, 03:19 pm
Probiotics basically counteract the negative effects antibiotics can have on the gut flora in guinea pigs (and other animals, for that matter). Call your vet back and ask for a probiotic (http://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html).

Also, check this page:
http://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 04:31 pm
Thanks for the information.

Oh. Once Mudbud is better I am guessing the scratching/seizures will stop. (I expect some scratching-I mean we all get itches.) It really scares the children.

akstrohm
07-14-09, 05:19 pm
Yes, the scratching and seizures should stop. Be sure to treat both pigs with Ivermectin (or something similar), even if the other is not showing symptoms.

Ly&Pigs
07-14-09, 05:21 pm
I've merged your posts because it's about the same pig and most of the story was on this original thread. Please just keep posting updates about Mudbug here on this thread without creating more threads. Having all the info about your pig's condition in one place makes it easier to help you and to keep track of what's going on.

Mites lay dormant in pigs and can flare up during times of illness or stress.

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 06:23 pm
Ly&Pigs
Thanks for letting me know you merged them.
Oh okay so mites are like certain diseases in humans--we all have them and it takes something to wake it up before you get it.

NicholsS10
07-14-09, 06:31 pm
ResqMomma, are you treating the other pigs with ivermectim as well? They may have mites as well, just not as severe as a case. If that is what is going on, then soon as you introduce MudBud back to them, he'll just get it again. ALL the pigs need to be treated for mites.

akstrohm
07-14-09, 07:03 pm
No, not all pigs have them. It's just that they can have them and show very few symptoms.

Have you treated the other pig yet? There's very little sense to treating only one.

ResqMomma
07-14-09, 08:42 pm
No I haven't treated the others yet.