PDA

View Full Version : Parasites Ivermection and Advantage questions

Allyson
07-12-09, 08:01 pm
I recently rescued two male piggies around 3 years old last Wednesday from Craigslist (they were "free with their cage" - a rubbermaid bin) and apparently they either have mites, lice, or both. The texel has a lot of hair loss, it looks like he is shaved, but has no scabs and I did not see any bugs. The coronet's hair looks fine, but he has scabs and little yellow-white bugs running around on them. They are both in quarantine together in one of our bathrooms that we don't use (pipe issues).

I was wondering if oral ivermection would work, or should I go find topical ivermection? Also, can ivermection and advantage be used to treat parasites at the same time? I think I read somewhere topical ivermection will kill mites and lice, and I would like someone to confirm it. Thank you.

I will post pics of them tomorrow so people can get a better idea, especially of the "hair loss" on the texel.

RainbowPiggy
07-12-09, 08:35 pm
Thank you for rescuing them! And their cage, a rubbermaid bin? Oh please. It breaks my heart at these animal abusers. They act like they are worthless little ants. But yes please, post some pictures. You may wanna go to an emergency vet to ask what they prefer. But for now, just give whatever you think is best, and with the opinions of others on here. If it's possible, I suggest you contact the last owners, and say a few things about their health and their 'cage'.

Peggysu
07-12-09, 08:38 pm
If it's possible, I suggest you contact the last owners, and say a few things about their health and their 'cage'.

I don't think this would do any good.

As for treating for lice and mites, according to guinealynx topical ivermectin can be used for mites and lice. Here's the link about lice, http://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html.

RainbowPiggy
07-12-09, 08:40 pm
I know, but I just wish the owners would understand how heartbreaking it is to others. People like them don't deserve to even have pets.

Peggysu
07-12-09, 08:54 pm
I know, but I just wish the owners would understand how heartbreaking it is to others. People like them don't deserve to even have pets.

I understand. At this point it's not going to do any good. As long as animals are going to be sold like merchandise and treated like property it's going to continue. That's why this site is pro-rescue and against breeding and pet stores as they contribute to overpopulation and give people the idea that these animals are disposable.

lissie
07-12-09, 08:56 pm
I was wondering if oral ivermection would work, or should I go find topical ivermection? Also, can ivermection and advantage be used to treat parasites at the same time?

Oral Ivermectin will only work with mites. It will not kill lice. Advantage will only kill lice and not mites. I'm not sure if you can use both at the same time. If you use topical Ivermetin, it will kill both. Revolution will also kill both.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-12-09, 09:05 pm
It's best not to use both at the same time. You have to wait an interval between using both or else you can overdose them.

RainbowPiggy
07-12-09, 09:11 pm
Peggy: Yep, these people can only be stopped in our dreams. (Sorry Allyson, for having a conversation in your thread. We will continue it elsewhere.) Allyson: But we hope your pigs are doing well, Did you give them any Ivermection yet?

Allyson
07-13-09, 04:57 am
It's quite alright. I would love to chew out the previous owners, but I know my doing so will probably just cause problems and not solve anything. I'm going to call all my local feed stores today (we have a few around... a lot of people own horses in my area) and see if anyone has topical ivermection available.

They also had large mats in their hair and curling nails, but I cut out the mats on the first day and cut their nails Saturday - just trying to take everything a step at a time with them since they are still pretty stressed out. Hopefully I can find the ivermection today so I can start treating them ASAP. I'm going to clean out their cage again also today... we'll see how that works out. I think they are becoming more trusting of me, because they used to just sit on my lap whenever I hold them and be dead silent, but now they talk to eachother when I have them out like my other piggies do. :)

gooberific
07-13-09, 06:57 am
Revolution kills both mites and lice. http://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#selamectin