Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Just a Question

• Thread starter momof1kid3piggi
  • Start date

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
So I've been reading alot of posts on here. And I've noticed that alot of people say that if a Cavy has had previous litters, That it would be ok for her to have another? I'm asking this because, I've had breeders tell me that it is not ok to breed your sow after a year old. Don't get the wrong impression I'm not a Breeder, It was just a question in my head i was wondering about.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Have you read Breeding Guinea Pigs

There is always a risk when breeding. If your sow has successfully had a litter before, it doesn't guarantee that the next time will go as well. Each breeding is hard on a sow's body since they can carry so many pups and they are born with their fur and teeth, and running at birth.

They carry them for 2 to 3 months - a long time considering their average lifespan is 5 to 6 years. Imagine forcing them to have 2 to 3 litters? That's about a 5th of her average lifespan.

It is guaranteed to decrease her lifespan.

I imagine they say that because after a year, their pelvic bones stiffen esp. if they have not had a litter before but there is no guarantee either way. She can still have problems birthing the pups or catch toxemia.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It is not necessarily going to go well, but the chance of a successful pregnancy in an older sow that has had a litter before is higher than in one who has not had a litter. That said, there are no guarantees, and pregnancy complications are pretty common in all ages of pigs.

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
Ok Thank you, I was just wondering I dont breed or anything. And before this I did get my information from a rescue breeder.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto Ly. They may be a breeder but in no way shape or forum are they a real rescue.

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
Yes I know that Now at the time I did not. And I should of rephrased it. But i dont talk to the person anymore, After I learned what the woman did I went to the police/Animal control, It was seriously a Puppy mill Only With Guinea pigs. When I Went there, There Had to of been 5 or more piggy's in Store bought Cages. I was discussed :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.