Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Newbie w/ 2 new piggies

canuckles

Cavy Slave
Hello, first of all I would like to thank the forum administer for helping me resolve my problems with my registration. I have been reading this great forum, and browsing this awesome website for over a month, but was not able to post.
This community has been a great resource for me and my family, we recently had to give up our two cats so I thought we could get a new family pet. I went to the pet store without doing and research, and decided on a guinea pig. It was not until after we had him at home in his cramped "guinea pig kit", that I started thinking "man, that cage just does not seem adequate".
So , I did a search for guinea pig cages and "wabam!" I found this haven of guinea pig knowledge! From that point on I got on the right track, and built a 58" x 28" C & C cage with a 2nd 16"x 28" upper "kitchen level", and got some green coroplast. I tried fleece, but decided to finish off the jumbo bag of wood shavings first then try to make the change.
Then the more I read about cavies the more upset I got with the pet store( cage was too small, cavies should never be kept alone without a buddy because they are social). So two weeks after getting my 12 week old boar, I went and got another young boar, I think he was 10 weeks. I set up my daughters kiddie pool for the introduction, and in only about 15 minutes they we getting along fine, now they are great buddies and I have notice a huge change in my original guinea pigs behavier they both seem very happy.
Then another upset from the pet store, one of them had lice when I bought it, so they went to the vet and had their first treatment of revolution. I phoned the pet store the next day to give them a piece of my mind.
Sorry for being so long winded, but I have not been able to post until now so I had to tell you all my story up to this point.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! Hope you contine to enjoy the site. Also please adopt next time, there are lots of piggies in need of homes. I'm sure you know this now. Anyways we always like to pictures.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome it's great that you got a buddy for your boar.

canuckles

Cavy Slave
Oh, I forgot to tell you their names, Luke & Vader. ;)

P.S.

Do they ever get used to me coming into the room?
Everytime I go in there they sprint to their hiding spots.

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
Oh, I forgot to tell you their names, Luke & Vader. ;)

P.S.

Do they ever get used to me coming into the room?
Everytime I go in there they sprint to their hiding spots.

Cute names! Yes, I think they get used to you eventually. Cody did that for awhile whenever my fiance would walk in the room. Now he comes out and looks around for her when she calls his name.

SnowFlower

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I raised my cages off the floor (after reading a post about it) and the piggies seem much more at ease with me coming in... I think it's because I don't look AS large as I used to. I also talk to them alot, even when I'm not actually at there cage and especially when I am before I do anything in thier "space" or with them. It is getting much better! Good luck with your boys. Can't wait to watch them grow with thier newly educated and obviously dedicated people.

canuckles

Cavy Slave
Here's a little update, I got some fleece and found some 100% cotton towels two for $6 at wal-mart I stitched the fleece to three layers of towels, now its a nice big pad and easier to handle, I am gonna get a couple more towels and make a secondary pad for swapping in when its cleaning time. I also picked up another pack of C & C grids and attached them end to end, now I have a pen to set up for floor time, and I can arrange it into any shape, it also all folds up like an accordion nicely for storage. I posted pictures now in my albums, of cage and piggies.

4callmemama

Cavy Slave
Here's a little update, I got some fleece and found some 100% cotton towels two for $6 at wal-mart I stitched the fleece to three layers of towels, now its a nice big pad and easier to handle, I am gonna get a couple more towels and make a secondary pad for swapping in when its cleaning time. I also picked up another pack of C & C grids and attached them end to end, now I have a pen to set up for floor time, and I can arrange it into any shape, it also all folds up like an accordion nicely for storage. I posted pictures now in my albums, of cage and piggies.
I LOVE the pad idea. That's much easier than trying to push and pull the towels and fleece to the right spot. Thanks for sharing. I also love their names, my 3yo son is way into Star Wars right now. He'd love that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.