Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy & Dog

Snipzig

Cavy Slave
I know every one thinks dogs will hurt piggies but I have a story.

We have a toy poodle named cocoa,who we have had for three years,last june when she was pregnant she acted like the guinea pig was her pup.Now that Holly has babies cocoa watches them all the time lol.

Katie

Cavy Slave
I don't think all dogs will hurt guinea pigs!
However, I do have a question, is your poodle now spayed?

Snipzig

Cavy Slave
No,we are going to let her have pups 1 more time then spay her.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I have a terrier mix who is absolutely great with my three guinea pigs. During floor time we let them all run around together and we are not scared to leave the room with them together. When my girl had her babies, my dog washed them after they were born and already cleaned off my momma. My dog actually thinks of my guinea pigs as automatic treat dispensers, cause she is more interested in their poos then she is in them...its kinda gross, but still cute and the vet said that it won't make her sick.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I don't think anyone believes that all dogs will hurt guinea pigs. But I for one have heard way too many stories of family dogs who have previously loving with guinea pigs, suddenly getting excited and hurting/ killing them either by accident or because they think it's a game. So when people do suggest maybe you should keep them apart, know that their advice is only meant with the best interests of your cavy, not to try and contradict you.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I agree with that, I for one know that my dog gets very jumpy when there are cats around and I would never trust my dog with my guineas with cats anywheres around. Each dog has something that will freak them out and if you don't know what that is, it is probably better to not have your dog around your guineas at all. It really wouldn't take very long for a dog to acidently walk on a guinea (this isn't a worry for me because one of my guineas is almost as big as my dog).
By the way, when I said before that I can leave them alone together, I meant only for a vey short time, like long enough to go and get a treat or something, less than 1 minute.
I also make sure that my dog licking them does not bother them and if it seems like they are becoming irritated, I will call my dog up on the couch with me. I am really not sure what my dog would do if she got bit by a guinea and I really don't want to find out, so I regulate how much she can actually lick them.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Snipzig said:
No,we are going to let her have pups 1 more time then spay her.
Spay her now and stop contributing to the animal overpopulation problem.

enough said.

phantac

Cavy Slave

enough said.
You can give your opinion Voodoo but I wouldnt give an order. Why dont you ask her why she opts for pups again first?

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:

enough said.
phantac...maybe it should have said...It is my opinion that you... or, I think you should...followed by her comment.

Personally, I agree with voodoojoint. It really wasn't an order. It was a stronly expressed opinion. There is a difference.

phantac

Cavy Slave
maybe it should have said...It is my opinion that you... or, I think you should...followed by her comment.
You were right the first time DaCourt, that is how it should have been said. And yes it was an order how could you say otherwise. This is what I mean when people dont know how to communicate with others, thats when posters get defensive and hostility begins.
By saying to the poster........Why would you want your dog to have pups again when there are so many unwanted animals in world, dont you think it would be better to have your dog spayed now? This conveys a more positive attitude and leaves the door open for further communication.

By saying as she did.....Spay her now and stop contributing to the animal overpopulation problem.

enough said.

I wouldnt blame the poster for coming back with an hostile attack of her own. She certaintly wouldnt want to continue discussing this matter with anyone under those terms.

Snipzig

Cavy Slave
We already have homes picked out

pennick

Cavy Slave
We already have homes picked out
But maybe, just maybe some of those people you have homes picked out for would have gone to the shelter to adopt a pet if you didnt mate your dog and therefore there would be a few less homeless animals. That is what everyone is trying to convey.

Snipzig

Cavy Slave
We have bred her 2 times before and all of the puppies went with interviewed people to make sure they are fine.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Snipzip, please read the post above again. Carefully.
Have people go to shelters and get suffering, homeless dogs instead of contributing to the pet over population. My Humane Society ALONE gets 89-100 PER WEEK. And did you know, black dogs are the hardest dogs to find homes for(Sorry, out of nowhere). They SHOULD go to the shelter/pound and get some dogs before they have to be let down.
I agree with everything voodoojoint said, and I think it was a perfectly fine statement. You need to stop breeding her. It's just as bad as breeding any animal, pet over population, and you are contributing to all the suffering animals out there.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I have to wonder if snipzig's toy poodle is a pure breed and if she is breeding it with another purebreed.
If this is the case, then the people that she is giving the puppies to probably would not have went to a shelter. When people want a purebreed dog most do not go to shelters because there is absolutely no positive guarantee on what the dog is unless it came with papers. Also many people want puppies from dogs that they know so that they know the medical histories of the animals because many things are genetically passed on. I for one would see a problem if she were breeding a mixed breed to another mixed breed, because the shelters are overrun with mized breed dogs.
Snipzip, I think it is quite responsible that you will interview people before giving them a puppy. This shows that you truly want them to go to good homes.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Hmm.. How can I put this without sounding rude..
I guess, I think it's selfish to want a purebreed when you can go to a shelter and give a homeless pet a loving home. Even more when you are willing to breed for some people who want them. I think I sounded rude, oh well. That's my opinion and I'm not going to change it.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
There are rescues for purebred dogs if that is what they really want.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Tasha...As I was reading everything, I was thinking...There are purebred rescues. You beat me to it.

Actually phantac, I find your wording more offensive. It is a bit condescending in my opinion. It was a strongly expressed opinion. If someone told me...Stay off of cavycages website...go to abc website instead. Do they have the power to make me do that? No. So it is a strong opinion that they want me to leave. All voodoojoint was doing was making his/her opinions known. Period.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
tashagurl said:
There are rescues for purebred dogs if that is what they really want.
I was thinking that while I was also typing my post, and I was going to go back and edit it, but my computer is messed up. We have Trojan horse viruses!! You beat me to it too.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Oh, here we go again.

/sarcasm on
I know, let's just stop all animals everywhere from breeding. We can spay them all, and then we definitely won't have an animal overpopulation problem!

I know, even better. There's also a human overpopulation problem. There's a large percentage of the world that doesn't even have enough food and water! We should stop humans from breeding. Spay all teenagers now!

/sarcasm off

Come on people. It's her dog, she can do what she likes. If she already has people interested in the puppies, then good luck to her, I think that's responsible. It's not like she's breeding them and dumping them on the side of the road.

And anyway, who are you to tell her dog that she's not allowed to breed? How would you like it if someone told you that you couldn't have children because of the human overpopulation problem? China does it, they have a "One child per couple" policy and I'm sure you'd hate to see that sort of fascism established in your country.

I'm sick of the attitude on this board that any differing opinion is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.