Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

4 1/2 year old guinea pig might be pregnant.

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig is showing signs of pregnancy. She is drinking lots of water and used to be really skinny, now she's really FAT. But we CAN NOT take her to a vet. I tried asking my mom and dad and they DON'T HAVE THE MONEY. So please don't tell me i'm a bad owner for not standing up for her. Really all I need here is for you guys to write down your opinions. I'll post pictures in a minute. :guilty:

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
When did you get her? How would she have gotten pregnant? I have a female guinea pig that looks like that and isn't pregnant. She does look like she may be but if she is, you would have had to have a male with her. Without taking her to a vet, hard to say. If she has never had babies before than it is extremely risky for her to have babies.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what you're looking for opinions on, whether she's pregnant? If your boys have had access to her, then she likely is. But you know that.

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
She had babies before I got her. The only possible way she can be pregnant is if the boy got through the cage divider. But it was VERY tight. It was tied with zip ties. I don't remember coming home to a broken divider. :sad:

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
From what it looks like, I would have to say no. Some guinea pigs are just really fat. My Boy guinea pig looks just a little smaller than her. Have you noticed she eating more?

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
One of my girls, Rita, sort of looks like that, but isn't preggo. Your girl is middle aged... most of us human women start to spread out around that time :D
Is it at all possible that the boar jumped over the divider, then jumped back? Has there ever been anything close to the divider that he could hop up onto?
If she is, good luck with everything. Have you felt any movement?

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
I hope she's not pregnant, it's a serious health risk to her. No, it seems like she's eating the same. Except today, I felt like bringing her to a doctor's appointment,( hehe :D) and she ate half a bag of grass and 3 pieces of lettuce. The divider was a full grid high! I don't belive my guinea pig could jump that. Umm, no I've been careful to not put anything close to the divider. (Just in case..) :rolleyes:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
A motivated male can climb a simple grid divider without much issue. I think it's unlikely that the male would have climbed the divider, done his business, then climbed back over to his side. So if you didn't find the boy in her cage one day, I'd be doubtful that she could be pregnant. That's not to say it's impossible by any means, so I'd keep a close eye on her.

Beyond that, you probably want to put some sort of top on the cage so that you can be absolutely certain the boys can't climb over or vice versa.

The change in her appearance could mean something other than pregnancy though, like ovarian cysts, so it might be wise to get her into the vet for a general checkup anyway.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That looks suspicious to me.

How long ago did she have babies? If any male babies were left with her too long, she could have gotten pregnant again.

If she isn't pregnant, she may have a cyst or tumor or something.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You need to start a vet fund for her now. Even if she's not pregnant, it is likely that she (or another of your pigs) will need to see a vet in the future. You should save several hundred dollars and put it away for future use. Make sure your parents know about this as well.

If you can't do this or are unwilling to do this, you should seriously consider rehoming your pigs. If they end up suffering, you will feel really badly if you can't get them the care they need.

In the meantime, keep a close watch on your pig, weigh her more regularly, and put a top on the cage.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Gosh, it's hard to tell from that picture. Many pigs look chunkier when sitting bunched up like that. Does she still look heavy when she's stretched out sleeping, walking or doing something other than sitting?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Another thought, do your males and females have floor time together?

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
She doesnt look heavy when she's stretched out or anything... and no, i put the pigs on different "floor time schedules."

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
My Mama pig looks like that. She's just overweight and older. Like me.

lissie

Cavy Slave
My Cookie looks like that. When I first got him I was so worried that he might be missexed. I checked him and he's a boy. He just looks fat. Hope your piggy is just chubby and not pregnant.

Smudgetoffee

Cavy Slave
Mine also looks like that, really podgy at the back. He's not pregnant :)

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I just want to emphasize akstrohm's advice at starting a vet fund immediately. If you are a minor (please don't post your age) try to find a way to make a little bit of money each week and set it aside (even five dollars a week will add up). As a pet owner it is your responsibility to provide vet care when needed for you animals.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
When did you seperate the babies from her? If you seperated them after 3 weeks then a male could have gotten her pregnant. Was the father there when she had the babies because they can get pregnant again right after she has the babies. Is she by herself or could her cagemate be a male?

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
Piggiemom, I will start doing that. I do get an allowance. That's a good way to help my animals. Thanks! Froggirl, I separated them at I think 2 1/2 weeks. I know I didn't do it too late. I can't really remember.. :grumpy: She's by herself, (unfortunately..) We separated the male right when we saw she was pregnant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
:grumpy: She's by herself, (unfortunately..) We separated the male right when we saw she was pregnant.

So you had her housed with a male on purpose? This doesn't sound like it's much of an accident anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.