Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Pneumonia

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
I'm new to the site so first off I want to say Hello!

I've had my guinea pig Lily for 5 months now and about a month 1/2 ago I had to rush her to the vet. I could hear a crackling noise in her breath, she was lethargic and her breathing was really fast. I felt horrible for not noticing any signs of her getting sick before, but anyway after spending 2 nights at the vet in oxygen we found out she had pneumonia. Since then we've had to give her 3 cc twice a day of Enrofloxacin (antibiotic).

Now she seems to be doing much better she's eating, drinking, popcorning, running around and her breathing rate is almost back to normal, but sometimes when I hold her close to my ear I can still hear a faint crackling noise. It worrys me that after almost 2 months of antibiotics the pneumonia might still be there. So my question is....

Has anyone had a guinea pig with pneumonia before? If so did they ever recover and how long did it take?

thank you in advance for any information!!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome! If you're concerned, it's worth a trip to the vet for a checkup, just to be safe as the little guys can go downhill fast. One of my boys has had bronchitis and pneumonia so I watch him like a hawk. It did take him some time to get over one bout of pneumonia and he was on two different courses of ABs. Respiratory infections can damage lung tissue and make the piggie a bit touchier as to URIs, so vigilance is really necessary. I hope that things clear up soon.

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
Thank you! we've had one follow up app. already and thats when she got her second round of antibiotics but I am making her second follow up app. this week so *fingers crossed* the pneumonia is clearing up.

ColoradoMama

Cavy Slave
I had a rescue pig that had severe lung damage from chronic URI's through out his life. He always made a crackling sound, even when he didn't have a current URI. Has your pig had any xray's??

WheekiePiggy123

Cavy Slave
Has your pig had any xray's??

At her first follow up she had x-rays done and the vet said the pneumonia looked about the same so she gave me another months worth of antibiotics. She told me to come back for another follow up, so tomorrow I'm going to call and make another appointment.

I'm just so worried that even though she seems fine the vet is going to tell me the pneumonia is still there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.