Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Trade

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I know this is a guinea pig site, but chinchillas are distant cousins of guinea pigs, so I thought some of you might be interested in this site: https://www.peta.org/feat/chinchilla/. It talks about the cruelty of using chinchillas for fur coats and such. I have 4 chins at the moment, and can't for the life of me understand how anyone could want to wear them.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
My mom's highschool sweetheart used to raise chin's for their fur. Its so sad.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Very sad. They are such fabulous pets. They have no odor, make virtually no noise, go to the bathroom in one spot of their cage, have no pests (lice, fleas, etc.) ... I buy one 50 pound bag of food for them every 6 weeks or so, and it's only about $13 ... so they're inexpensive to maintain. Plus they are friendly and affectionate and smart and funny. I don't know how people can raise them and kill them for their fur.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
One of my best friend's mom has a fur coat made out of over twenty five chinchillas. She told me herself, and she was proud. I looked at her, and all I could think was, "Jeez, what a b...." I think you know what word I was going to say. She paid over seven hundred dollars to wear over two-dozen dead animal carcasses on her body. Lovely thought, ain't it?

Plummie

Cavy Slave
It is sad, I have 14 chinnies and they each have their own unique personalities and quirks. They really do make lovely little companions. Although I will never agree with the fur trade or condone it in any way, I do appreciate the fact that without the fur trade, we never would have them as pets to this day.

You can see all my boys here if you're interested: (broken link removed)

Also, does anyone else seem to notice how much promotion of chinchilla fur coats is going on lately in popular rap? (i.e. Snoop, Jay Z and the like)

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
My mom has two fur coats. One that she inherited from a family member & one that my dad got her...it's mink. The mink is incredibly soft, but I absolutely hate it when my mom wears it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just popping in to let you know I am moving this thread to General Chat. I don't feel this topic has any bearing on vegetarianism.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That makes me want to throw up. Let's all wear dead animals on our backs! Yuck.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
That is sooo sad ;(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.