Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Apparently Eating Coroplast Won't Harm Pigs

guineaswineflu

Cavy Slave
I read many members are concerned of their coroplast-eating pigs, but here's what I found:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The bins and ramp of all BlueStoneCommerce cages are made from Coroplast which is a safe, non-toxic, highly stable polypropylene plastic material. It is chemically inert (at regular temperatures most oils, solvents and water have no effect) and is generally considered non-toxic and safe for use in contact with food. The fact that solvents have no effect, tells us that this is not a digestible material and, should it be ingested, will pass harmlessly through your pet’s digestive system."

Source: (broken link removed)

[/FONT]So do you think it's true? :rolleyes:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Coroplast is non-toxic. But there is no guarantee it won't harm your pig if the pig eats large quantities of it. Eating a large quantity could cause intestinal blockage.

pringles70

Cavy Slave
If they eat a piece that has a sharp edge couldn't it cut their intestines on the way through as well? I just don't think it is worth the risk. Luckily, mine are not chewers!

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I have had chewers before.... as soon as I saw they were making a snack of the coroplast, I moved it to the outside of the grids, so they could not get to it.
I'm sure a few bites wouldn't hurt them, but like Ly&Pigs said, large amounts could cause blockages, and I confess I was also terrified that they would get cuts in their mouths, insides, etc.
I'm a worry wart mother though.:)

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
I haven't found anything mine wont eat, I tried grids inside and it just made them squeeze harder through the bars to get to it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.