Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast average sides?

4callmemama

Cavy Slave
I'm getting my piggies soon and want to have a home all ready for them....I'm working on getting coroplast how tall are the average sides? I'm getting 2 girls, a 2x4 w/ a 1x2 loft should be big enough right? thanks you guys are a fountain of knowledge!!!! :D

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
That size cage is fine. I personally always suggest as big as you can. You'll see a lot action out of them in a big cage and they are less likely to fight. The sides are 14 inches tall.

4callmemama

Cavy Slave
That size cage is fine. I personally always suggest as big as you can. You'll see a lot action out of them in a big cage and they are less likely to fight. The sides are 14 inches tall.
how high up does the coroplast usually go on the sides?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm getting my piggies soon and want to have a home all ready for them....I'm working on getting coroplast how tall are the average sides? I'm getting 2 girls, a 2x4 w/ a 1x2 loft should be big enough right? thanks you guys are a fountain of knowledge!!!! :D

Are you asking about coroplast side? If your pigs are babies or small, your side should be at least 10" high. If they're bigger, you can have any height you want. I have on the back wall 9" (because I don't want them kicking poop behind the cage where it's hard to reach). Other sides are 4".
If you don't used fleece as bedding, I believe the sides should be higher, like 6" or 7" to prevent the pigs kicking the bedding out.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Right now I'm using aspen and my sides are 6" on open sides and 12" on sides facing the wall to provide and extra height to keep stuff from falling back where its hard to clean.

I am putting together a plan to migrate to fleece I plan on having 3" sides and then building a coroplast insert kitchen with higher sides.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I used to have four inch sides, but when we redesigned we moved it up to six because our pigs looooved to kick poops over the sides.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Well I took a 3x6 cage and only fit it to one 4'x8' sheet. So my sides arent very high, like 3" around I think. But when we clean out the cage we pick up the bottoms and vac up any stray poops.

GuineaPigGalore

Cavy Slave
I have a HUGE 4x5 cage with a divider down the middle. My coroplast sides are 6", If you are doing an upper loft make sure that on the top there are no gaps and to make the coroplast 'box' in the same way as down stairs.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
If you plan to use any bedding other than fleece then 6 inches, because it contains it better (I'm amazed at ho much bedding they can kick out!) If you are using fleece and have adult pigs then 3 inches in fine, poops can't get out but piggies can see.

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
I originally was using bedding so I made the front and sides 6 inches. The back is 12 inches, to prevent poos and bedding out. Now I have fleece, and still have the same sides because I swear, she poops soo much and would kick them out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.