Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cyst Advice or experience with cyst?

Huskyluv

Cavy Slave
I have a 2 year old female sow, Jasmine, who suddenly developed a large lump about the size of a ping pong ball behind her front arm. I noticed it on Thursday (yesterday) morning and got her in to see a vet today due to my concern over how rapidly it formed.

My vet checked her over and drew a sample from the lump with a needle and told me that it is a cyst. He went on to say that the only way to remove it would be to put her under via gas anesthesia and surgically remove the lump which would also require stitches. The stitches would also have to be removed after 10-14 days and she would be taking antibiotics (Enrofloxacin) during that 2 week period. Not including the $43 I paid for the vet to see her today, the surgery and antibiotics will cost $136. As if money wasn't already tight.

Do any of you have experience with cysts and the procedures to have them removed? Is it possible there is a less invasive way to remove a cyst that maybe the vet didn't tell me about? Any advice you can offer? I'm worried sick about my little piggy. :( I'd like to hear from anyone that might have any experience or advice to offer before I make her appointment for surgery to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The only other option, really, is waiting for it to rupture on its own, which isn't a good option because that opens up a very good possibility for infection and if it's already pretty large it's probably causing her some mobility issues and/or discomfort. Best thing would be to have it removed as quickly as you can.

Huskyluv

Cavy Slave
Thank you Paula. I plan on having her in for surgery either Monday or Tuesday morning. The earliest they can get her in is Monday so I'll call them tomorrow and hopefully they'll take her first thing Monday morning.

I feel so bad for her but she is eating and behaving normally and it does not seem to bother her. Either way, I want her to get better as soon as possible. It is a lot of money but she is totally worth it.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
If you haven't already, read over the post-op care page on guinealynx. Sending good vibes to Jasmine. She's lucky to have a mommy willing to take good care of her.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Toffee had a pea sized cyst removed from her leg yesterday. She is recovering nicely *touch wood*. I originally took her in to have it looked at. The vet decided to aspirate it, which produced pus. She thought it was a cyst, and suggested removal but I was wary at putting her under a general (Toffee has heart problems) and wanted to exhaust all other options first. So she gave her a local and tried to lance it. Unfortunately it confirmed that the lump was a cyst, and it had to be removed.

Price wise I don't think your quote was all that bad. Yestedays vet bill came to $300. Reading off the tax invoice she gave me;
- Consult = $48
- Local anesthetic = $26
- Shaving and minor procedure (think this was the aspiration and lancing) = $61
- Cephazolin powder packing, suture material, surgery pack fee, and cyst removal = $79
- Tramadol and Metacam (pain relief) = $53
- GST was ~ $30
All of that came to just under $300.

No antibiotics - she packed the wound with cephazolin. She used internal stitches that will dissolve, and glue was used to keep everything together. Be sure you get pain relief. Toffee is on Tramadol (stronger than metacam) for the first 12 hours (2 doses) and then metacam for the next 6 days.

Huskyluv

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for such helpful advice! Piggiemom, the link you posted is great and very much appreciated.

I just got off the phone with the vet receptionist and she is set for surgery first thing Monday morning. The vet I talked to yesterday told me she can have food available to her overnight the night before, but no food the morning of surgery. I will drop her off at 9 am and they will give me a call when she is ready to be picked up. They could not give me a pick up time estimate but she said not before 2 pm will I be able to pick her up, the vet told me yesterday that they want to monitor her for several hours after surgery to make sure she is doing alright.

Pigsforlife, I hadn't even thought of pain medication! The vet only told me she'd be on antibiotics for 2 weeks. When I drop her off and/or pick her up I will ask them about taking home some pain medication for her. After all that I certainly don't want my little one to be in pain. :( That is quite a difference from what you paid for Toffee's procedure. I'm glad to hear Toffee is doing well.

The cost breakdown for Jasmine's surgery on Monday is as follows:
Anesthesia (gas) - $41.94
Surgery to remove cyst - $72.50
Enrofloxacin (liquid antibiotic to take home) - $20.98

I'm sure I'll be getting something for pain relief too once I ask them on Monday, hopefully it won't cost too much extra.

Jasmine continues to eat, drink and behave normally which is a good sign. I'm still worried sick about her, my stomach is in knots. :-/ I think this has got to be the first time I've ever wished the weekend would go by quickly! lol

Question for you, Pigsforlife. Is Toffee ignoring the surgery site? My vet told me that if Jasmine picks at her stitches she will have to wear a belly wrap. I'm not sure what a belly wrap is for a guinea pig or where to get one just in case she does pick at her stitches.

Huskyluv

Cavy Slave
I took Jasmine outside and had hubby take a few pictures of the lump on her side. Here's how she looks right now...

Advice or experience with cyst?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Toffees lump was the size of a pea, so the incision site was very small. She had 2 internal stitches and then the glue to keep everything together. With the pain relief she has had absolutely no problems, and has not even bothered picking at the site.

Are you sure your vet is experienced? Pigs can eat right up until the moment they are put under for the surgery. Toffee was munching away on hay the whole time they checked her out prior to the op. There is no need to fast them as they can not vomit.

After the surgery, Toffee was fine to go within 15 minutes (as soon as she was up, moving, and showing that she was ok..when Buttercup was spayed, because the operation was so much more invasive she had to wait 1 hour before she could come home).

Huskyluv

Cavy Slave
Well, Jasmine is home and I am so happy. Her surgery went well and they kept her for a few hours afterward to monitor her progress. I picked her up and she was pretty groggy still, very very sleepy. I got antibiotics which I will need to give twice a day for 14 days and also got a three day supply of Metacam for pain. She did end up getting the dissolving stitches and much to my surprise her stitches are my favorite color, purple!

Since she's been home she's slept a LOT but she's not bothering her stitches which is a huge relief so far. Her appetite is not 100% but she did eat her veggies and a few pellets and hay which is a good sign, and she's drinking normally. I expected her to be difficult about taking her medicine but she was such an angel and took it no problem. I'm so happy my baby girl is home and doing so well already.

Here are a couple pics I took of her after we got home. They're not the best but I did not want to bother her much, understandably.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Good luck! With Buttercup, she was on pretty heavy medication for the first 12 hours (tramadol + groggy from anesthetic) but I think her worst day was the second day. She was quite lethargic but has come pretty good now.

All pigs I have had on metacam love it! The vet says it has a sweet flavour. I was giving Toffee her metacam and showed her the bottle - she tried to grab it off me!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.