Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Dirty, Dirty cage

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
Lately my pigs have been awfully messy little pigs. They have started to tear up the cage, chewing up the newspaper and boxes in there. We have to clean the cage twice a week now. We have a c and c cage with 2 pigs. Meeka the younger pigs destroys the cage more than Lakota.

sealion

Cavy Slave
First of all, how big is your cage ? Does it smell or does it just look really messy ?
If your tired of them destroying the (cardboard?) boxes, well...why not just put them for floor time so the cage stays nice and neat ? Are they getting unlimited hay ?
Maybe you should try fleece (ttp://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html)so they will stop munching on the newspaper.
Hope this helps.

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
I don't know how big the cage is, and yes they get at least an hour a day of play time. I can't get fleece because my mother will not put it will not let me.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Is it a pet store cage or a C&C?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Never mind - it may be your cage is too small or they are bored? Try changing things around in the cage.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
My piggies pen gets very dirty mostly from poo's, I swear...they're just poo monsters. I literally have to hand vac the poo's up minimally 4 times a day...geese! And if it's not that...then they're tracking shavings from out of their cat hidey's onto the fleece mixed in with the poo's...I'm even picking the little buggers out of their food dish. Why did God have to make them poo so darn much?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how big your cage is, but if it gets dirty quickly I strongly suggest that you make it bigger. This will cause it to get dirty less quickly (and less smelly), and so you won't have to clean it quite as often. It will also be easier to clean. Have you seen the C&C cages on this site?

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
If your mother doesn't want fleece bedding, I would try with some other kinds like kiln dried pine, aspine, yesterday's news or carefresh. I can't imagine just newspaper works very well.

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
I am not sure how big the cage is but yes it is c and c cage. I currently can't make it bigger because my dad thinks that chloroplast doesn't last. We currently are using something that we got from farm and fleet. Not sure exactly what it is though. We sometimes uses puppy pads, other it is newspaper with carefresh bedding then put over that paper scraps. I was wondering if it was something that I could do because when they were in the store bought cage, and long time ago we only had to clean the cage once a week.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Newspaper is not a good bedding and should really be avoided as it's not absorbent. I would suggest sticking with a bedding that is absorbent because you would be able to go longer. I don't know how you got away with cleaning a pet store cage once a week as that can be unsanitary with all the poo build up.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
Your dad sounds a bit like mine! Practical (or at least he thinks so!lol) and a little on the cheap side.
Try calling around to the places where you can buy coroplast.... some places will give away good size scraps for free! That's how I got mine... I just taped them together. Or maybe you can find some used peices that people once had for signs, but no longer need.
You could also probably score some free fleece... ask your neighbors or friends if they have any old fleece blankets that they don't use anymore.
Like others have said, they might just be bored. It's easy to make toys for them with things you have around the house. A paper grocery sack is very amusing to them, long soda boxes with the ends cut off make great tunnels, empty TP tubes stuffed with hay are fun too.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
If you're dad is interested I've been using the same piece of coroplast for three years and it still looks great. As far as how big the C&C is: we refer to them by their cube size, so a 2x3 is a cage where it is two cubes wide and three cubes long.

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
Your dad sounds a bit like mine! Practical (or at least he thinks so!lol) and a little on the cheap side.

Really seems like they could be twins, lol. Yeah that is a really good ideal, free stuff my dad will go for!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.