Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels how to expand

goddesskieryn

Cavy Slave
hey ive got a smaller cage right now and im looking at adding levels but i cant figure out how to add a level, with the right supports and still pull out my coroplast for cleaning. right now i have it so it just slides out the side which flips up, and secures with a clip. i have a cat and dog so it cant just be left open which would be easier. are there any suggestions you can give on how to add supports and still get the coroplast out?

Crazypiglady

Cavy Slave
I have a 2 lvl (2x4 Top lvl, plus 2x4 bottom lvl) c&c type cage. Which is also devided for 3 piggies 2 together 1 is still new and lives in a section which is 2x3.
Very easy to add a second lvl by useing zip ties to hold it all together, however not sure you will still be able to pull the coroplast out I dont pull mine out I just reach in and wash it.
The lower lvl has 2 sections in the front which can swing open(held shut with binder clips) upper lvl has a flip up lid made from wire shelving. I also use a peice of pvp tube in center of the bottm lvl to support the upper lvl a little more, which I can remove to change the fleece bedding. If you would like to see a pic of it I can arrange to have it taken. Hope I was helpful!

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
I'd probely set it up the same way you have for the bottom.

Basically cover the top of the open cage with grids, like you would a lid, and then build up the rest of the cage on top of that the same way you did the bottom. Be sure to hinge the side you want to clean on. Also to make a ramp I'd leave 2 grids out of the "floor" of the top section probely opposite of where you want to clean out of. This then gives you room for your ramp. The photo part of the site has good examples of ramps, and second levels.

Ramps and Steps - Guinea Pig Cage Photos
Closed, Multi-Level - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Then after you have the ramp the way you want it, put in the coroplast, add the lid to the top section and you're all done. See the photos for more ideas.

Crazypiglady

Cavy Slave
I did about the same but I did not leave out grids instead I cut out a section big enough to fit the ramp in to. this way there is more upper floor space for them to run around in. I only lose about 1/4 of a grid this way. I used grids which I bent up on both sides like rails and use bath and or dog mats to cover the grid ramp. they love it you can find my old cavy sleeping on it almost anytime of the day or night even if he has 3 beds with fluffy fleece he can hide in.

lissie

Cavy Slave
hey ive got a smaller cage right now and im looking at adding levels

How small is small? You should look to expand on the same level before building up if your cage is smaller than recommended size.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I found a 2 level cage that the bottom slide out. Take a look at this cage, you might be able to build something similar.
(broken link removed)

Crazypiglady

Cavy Slave
I would have to agree with lissie,
It is more important to have one lvl that is large enough instead of building up. Once you have that then you can add lvls to it.
1 piggy atleast 2x3 Grids min., 2x4 grids min. for 2 piggys. More is better if you have the room. but if you can only spare space for the min. going up is a good option I feel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.