PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Bladder Sludge

Peggysu
06-15-09, 11:07 am
I've had Sebastian now for about two and a half weeks. He's not getting any veggies high in calcium. He pretty much only eats his bell pepper and cilantro after its been in there for a while and maybe a piece of lettuce. He's fed KM pellets and gets his blue grass hay all the time.

He still has bladder sludge. Does the excess calcium still have to work its way out of his system and do I need to wait longer? Or is this the sign that he may be predisposed to bladder sludge and possibly stones?

Ly&Pigs
06-15-09, 11:34 am
Sludge can be caused by calcium but can also be caused by other factors as well such as oxalic acid and phosphorus.

What all veggies has he eaten in the time you've had him and what (approximate) amounts?

Peggysu
06-15-09, 11:50 am
Curly Endive approximately 1 leaf total.
1/4 green or yellow bell pepper daily.
1 leaf of Red Leaf lettuce daily.
1 leaf of Green Leaf lettuce daily.
3 sprigs of Cilantro daily.
Last week he had romaine as well so he probably ate about about 1 leaf total.
About 5 small pieces of carrot.

I offer him other stuff that he just will not touch. I offer him more lettuce then what he eats and he generally leaves about 3/4 of it on the plate. The bell pepper is always finished off.

Ly&Pigs
06-15-09, 12:28 pm
The one thing I see that sticks out to me is carrot. Cut the carrot out completely for now because it's high in oxalic acid. Oxalic acid can bind with calcium to form oxalate stones/sludge.

The rest I will look over and review for you.

Peggysu
06-15-09, 12:46 pm
Thank you.