Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cornflute sides? How high? Please help

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Please help me.......

I just marked out my lines on the cornflute to be scored for folding.

As the cage is 7'2 long and the plastic is only 8ft, i only have 14cm overhang on each end..... is that enough? I cant get any bigger sheets, i got the largest.
So thats 5.6 inch... the other sides have more like 10.5 inch's

(cage is 7.2ft by 2.5ft plus 2nd level.)

Can someone also tell me, does it just sit there or should i attach it to the grid sides somehow?
Is there a picture to show me what bit to cut so it folds nicely?
Im waiting patiently as i dont wanna mess it up..& waste 75$$ on cornflute.

)ps im quiet proud of myself just quietly!))))))

pennick

Cavy Slave
the recommended sides are 6" all around. Yours is 5-1/2, close enough. It sits within the grids. No need to connect. I had mine made 7-1/2'" only so the shavings dont go flying out. Your dimensions are fine. Make it 5.6 on the two sides and 6 - 7" on the other 2 sides. By bit I am assuming you mean how heavy handed you should be when cutting down the sides. When I did mine, I did it too gently and I couldnt get it to bend, so I went over it a little harder, then a little harder again until I was able to bend it. Its best not to do it too heavy handed at first, you dont want to cut right through it. Hope that helped you.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You have to measure the inside part of the cage (which I am sure you did) and the mark your measurements on the coro. Score the end that has the little ridges running across it kinda heavily and score the edges that have the straight line lighter. There is a thread somewhere around here that shows a picture of what it's supposed to look like when you snap the edges up. I use fleece and I only have 3" sides, but for carefresh/shavings as bedding I think the normal is about 6" sides. So 5.6" sides would be ok.

When you score and cut it, you will have little flaps on both sides that you can tuck over the end and tape into place. It should look like a box when your done. Just make sure to measure twice, cut once.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
I measured each side like 5 times before i actually marked the line lol.....
I mustnt trust my own judgement... Hubby told me to wait till he gets home
BuT its my project.......... AND he will take the credit...Like hell lol/.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Are you measuring the inside of the cage? I made that mistake when I built my hay box for the loft and now it hangs over by about an inch in one spot.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Yes i measured the insides.

Do you or anyone else know where that link is with the "how to" cut the cornflute is?

I recall seeing pictures of where to cut once but cant find it now.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
This link shows how to make the cage, including cutting the coroplast. https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htmFYI - I had a small piece of coroplast and my sides ended up being 3-4 inches high. This was definitely too low and bedding, hay and poop were getting everywhere. My hubby added a band around it using foam core board and the sides are now about 8 in tall. This is better for keeping the mess inside the cage. We had to cut little holes to stick the spouts of the water bottles through but it works great. I definitely say the higher the better. I have two lofts that they can climb in to get a look around the room and I just use fleece up there so the bedding doesn't leave the cage. I keep their hay up there too.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I was just getting ready to give you that link. Licia beat me to it. I only have low sides because I have fleece.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Thankyou so much for that link liciamommycott!

I shall have a really good look, now if only my hubs will hurry up and
bring me home a sharp stanley knife, Mines pretty blunt!

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
What a traumatic night i had!

1st of all , i cut it the wrong way round for one of the top levels.. L shape but i messed it up so i had to move the grids to fit!
Then i must'nt have allowed room for the 5mm cornflute so it was TOO BIG!
The base was fine but the top was a shomozzle! I had to recut it smaller, a task in itself!

Now they are in piggie heaven and i dont think they like it!
I swear i've got the hardest piggies to please! Why cant they be happy like
other piggieS? Theyre literally spoilt! Just like my kids!!! And theyre still not happy~
I give up......
I swear i was nearly in tears... nothing went right but all fixed now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.