Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not sure what to do....

JLC1113

Cavy Slave
Ok here is the situation. My husband and I bought our son a guinea pig at a local pet store. When we first saw them they were all in the same closed in area, males & females! I told my husband right in front of the employee that I wasn't too sure about getting one because it would be our luck we got a pregnant one. We let our son pick out the one he liked and he picked out a female. At the time the employee told us there is no way the females could get pregnant because they were all too young and they were not sexually mature. She was about 3 of 4 months, I think the lady said when we bought her, which was about a month ago! She is our first and only guinea pig as well.

Fast forward to now, we think she is pregnant. She has doubled in her size and weight in the past little while. She tries to eat everything in sight and she is drinking more water than normal. I was holding her today and gently put my hand to her side and felt something slide across my hand, so that is what is telling me she is pregnant!

I will not be able to get her into the Vet until the 24th or 25th, due to money. Even then I am hoping we can get her in! We were not expecting to have a pregnant guinea pig!!

My question(s) is what can we do for her in the mean time to make her more comfortable? I have read a few things online and I am very concerned that if she is something will happen to her during the birth or after. I would hate for anything to happen to her. Any advice that anyone can give me will be appreciated so very much!!

Thanks in advance!

Joy

P.S. I also want to go back to the Pet Store to complain but not sure if it would do any good...

Last edited by a moderator:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Pet stores often sell pregnant or sick pigs and this is far from the first or last time if she does turn out to be pregnant.

Here's some info on pregnancy:
https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Complaining likely won't do anything other than possibly cause them to ask you to "take the babies off your hands." That'll just result in the babies being sold so if you are not planning to keep them, please re-home them here, on craigslist, or petfinder instead of going that route.

JLC1113

Cavy Slave
I plan on keeping the babies and since we didn't want her to be mated in the first place, these will be the only and the last ones she has. I just need to know what to do for her if anything until we can get her to the Vet.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The pet shop lady is either an idiot or a liar - they can breed at 3 to 4 weeks. They intentionally house them together for free babies to sell and resell.

This is why we tell people to adopt - not buy.

Read the link given to you above.

JLC1113

Cavy Slave
I did read the link above!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I just need to know what to do for her if anything until we can get her to the Vet.
You can start feeding her alfalfa hay in addition to her grass hay. It has extra calcium and protein that pregnant females need. Also, make sure she has plenty of soft things to lay on so she can be as comfortable as possible in her condition.

ku_gal

Cavy Slave
Well I've dealt with idiot pet store teenagers. I was told we were getting two males but a few months later we have two eccentric pups so I feel for you.

nick1234

Cavy Slave
i think my guinea pig could be pregnant also. i got it from the pet store 2 weeks ago and i went to go pick it up today and it tried to bite me!? what should i do.? is it just mean or is it pregnant?

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Just because she's bit you does not mean she's necessarily pregnant, though I wouldn't be surprised as she is a pet store pig. The best thing you can do is to buy a kitchen scale and start weighing her everyday to see if she has significant weight gain. Read about reproduction here. As a petstore pig it's very possible that she has mites, which could cause irritation when you try to touch her. Read about mange mites and their treatment.

It could just be possible that you startled her or handled her a little roughly. Pigs don't like to hover in mid air, so it's best if you scoop them up and bring them to your chest quickly. Did you eat anything recently? Some pigs will bite if your hands smell like food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.