PDA

View Full Version : Sneezing Need advice on Guinea pig colds please :(

katie=)
06-11-09, 01:01 pm
This is the first thread I've done so i apologize for any mistakes.

I'm worried about one of my new baby Guinea pigs. He's sneezing alot, not just like a normal sneeze, like he's got a cold. Should I take him to the vets or will he just recover in time like with human colds? i've made sure he's getting lots of vegtables, water, nuggets, cozies and hidy houses so he can be comfortable, although because I'm generally new to owning Guinea pigs I'm really worried :( He's just a baby. Although he's sneezing he's still been running about and active, and doesn't seem unhappy. He still 'popcorns' alot when I give them new things. Also is it something I could have done to make him get a cold? And could my other piggy get it?

Please help.
Many thanks, katie

akstrohm
06-11-09, 01:24 pm
Upper respiratory infections are often lethal in guinea pigs. He needs to see a vet ASAP. And yes, they are highly contagious. If your other pigs are not yet showing symptoms, I would separate them.

In the future please weigh your pigs weekly to check for weight loss. It is often the first sign of illness.

PiggieMom
06-11-09, 01:29 pm
The short answer: yes, take him to a vet.

The long answer: have you begun weighing your pig weekly? This is really important to monitor your pig's health. As others will tell you, they go downhill so quickly and weight loss is usually the first sign you'll get that something's very wrong. Is his nose and eyes clear? Does his breathing sound normal? Have you changed hay or bedding recently? If so: is it more dusty than normal?

From the C&K's post in the Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs thread (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/39318-common-misconceptions-about-guinea-pigs-their-care-2.html#post388776):

"Guinea pigs do not get "colds". They get Upper Respiratory Infections (URI's) and Pneumonia. Ill Guinea Pigs rarely get better on their own, however; bringing your Guinea Pig to a "Cavy Savvy" vet at the first sign of illness is a sure way of seeing your four legged friend get better.

Learn and know the signs of illness listed in the GuineaLynx Medical Care Guide. It could mean the difference between life and death in your guinea pig. http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

Quick action needs to be taken as they can and usually do go down hill very quickly. Do not wait if your Guinea Pig is showing signs of illness, indeed, be proactive by finding a good vet before you need one."

katie=)
06-11-09, 01:52 pm
Oh no :( I'll take him to the vets in the morning. His eyes are clear, and they have a fleece bedding, ith saw dust eating area. I haven't been weighing him either so i couldn't say. I feel awful now :( hope he'll recover with antibiotics or something.

Ly&Pigs
06-11-09, 02:09 pm
Symbols such as :( or :) or any others aren't allowed. If you need to use a smiley/emoticon please use one the forum provides but use them per the smiley/emoticon rules.

We also need to remove the =) from your username because it's going to the wrong profile when I pull your profile up. Please pm me about your username. Thanks.

akstrohm
06-11-09, 03:42 pm
Oh no :( I'll take him to the vets in the morning. His eyes are clear, and they have a fleece bedding, ith saw dust eating area. I haven't been weighing him either so i couldn't say. I feel awful now :( hope he'll recover with antibiotics or something.

It sounds like he's not too bad yet. Get a vet appointment ASAP and he is likely to be just fine. Antibiotics work really quickly.

NicholsS10
06-11-09, 04:40 pm
I also just wanted to add that by the time guinea pigs are showing symptoms, they could actually have been sick for a couple of weeks.

katie=)
06-12-09, 08:12 am
Just got back from vets, they're fine. Just got some antibiotics to clear up stuffy nose.

blessedbeingmom
06-12-09, 07:43 pm
I'm glad they seem to be okay. What antibiotic did they give you?

piggiecrazy
06-12-09, 08:29 pm
Did you say you use a saw dust eating area? I thought saw dust was bad for guineas. Could that be causing the sneezing?
I was just curious.

Pulsepoint129
06-12-09, 09:11 pm
I'm glad they seem to be okay. What antibiotic did they give you?

Did they give you Baytril? That worked very well with my Felix.