Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Considering becoming a vegeratian

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I am really considering becoming a vegetarian. The only meats that I currently eat are chicken and fish (never a whole fish, I can't stand to look at it) and the very occasional dish of hamburger. I can easily give up the chicken and beef, but I may have a harder time with the fish, because I honestly feel better when i eat fish, probably something that is in it. I wonder if anyone here still eats fish or if there are any really good supplements that I could take to replace what I am not getting, because I'm really nervous around pills and stuff because they keep getting banned.

Also, I am wondering if it is considered bad to eat eggs, but not store bought eggs. We buy ours from a farmer who lets him chickens run freerange. Is this still bad?
I would appreciate any help because this is kinda a difficult lifestyle change for me.

2boar1sow

Cavy Slave
Since the fish makes you feel healthier, I'd suggest researching the known things that are healthy about fish. Try to find as many as you can. Then once you find them, ask vegatarians what foods you can eat to replace those nutrients, sorry I do not know myself. I just know eat frozen veggie meat for protein and a couple other things. I am also not so sure about eggs. I eat them because I don't see an animal being mistreated by eating them. I also try my best to eat free range milk and and eggs and stuff...I was told that store bought eggs are unfertilized once, I'm not quite sure how that works...

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
actually, I don't like to eat store bought eggs because the chickens that produce them are usually kept in small little enclosures and basically spend their entire life laying eggs. I don't even think that they are used for food after they have laid their last egg. I do not have a problem with milk because I live in a town that has many dairy farms that do not mistreat any of their cows and that is where most of the milk in our stores come from.
I also thought of another question, do vegetarians find anything wrong with eating shell fish such as muscles and clams? This may be a weird question, but it is my understanding that they do not really have a conscious awareness and that their movement is almost all based on nerves and reflexes and such. So would this still be considered wrong??

heabrook

Cavy Slave
Suzy ---

I understand what you are saying about feeling better when you eat fish. More than likely, it is the omega-oils that are making you feel better. If you really want to give up fish, I would try supplementing with another source of omega oils, and then stop eating fish. That way, you can see if it is the omega oils. Flaxseed is an excellent source of omega oils, you can purchase this in oil form, or grounded (I sprinkle it in my cereal). Also, there is a combination of several oils -- called Udo's oils. You can find this, along with the flax oil, in most natural food stores. Flax also comes in capsules, but I rarely recommend that to people, because you can absorb it much better if you take the oil directly. I hope this helps. Good luck!

My boyfriend is a vegetarian as well. But, He used to eat fish at times, and he said he felt better. I suggested that he try the omega oils from a non-fish source. He found that it was the omega-oils in fish that was making him feel better, but that the omega oils found in Flaxseed and Udo's oil did the same thing. I'm not sure if that will be the case for you, but let's hope so! :)

heabrook

Cavy Slave
suzy_99 said:
I also thought of another question, do vegetarians find anything wrong with eating shell fish such as muscles and clams? This may be a weird question, but it is my understanding that they do not really have a conscious awareness and that their movement is almost all based on nerves and reflexes and such. So would this still be considered wrong??
Being a vegetarian means that you do not consume ANY meat/flesh products. Whether it's "wrong" or not, is up to you. But, that's not a part of being a true vegetarian.

2boar1sow

Cavy Slave
suzy_99 said:
actually, I don't like to eat store bought eggs because the chickens that produce them are usually kept in small little enclosures and basically spend their entire life laying eggs. I don't even think that they are used for food after they have laid their last egg. I do not have a problem with milk because I live in a town that has many dairy farms that do not mistreat any of their cows and that is where most of the milk in our stores come from.
Heh, I remember considering this possibility not too long ago. I remember hearing about how shellfish don't have a nervous system? Or not a brain? Something more scientific then not having a consciousness, not saying what you said is wrong in anyway. I forgot to research, I am a vegatarian so I don't eat them, because they are animals, and its iffy. Research could have me saying I don't eat any meat unless you consider shellfish meat though. The more I think about it, the more I think that eating shellfish is the same as eating a fungus or vegatable. I'll have to take a closer look at their anatomy and nervous system. I don't see why you'd make yourself not eat any animal no matter what, considering you do not define what an animal is. Scientists define what animals are. There are cases in the organismic classification system where scientists have to decide what kingdom an organism should go in when the organism is very unlike the rest in the kingdom. I don't eat meat because I think it is immoral to kill those animals that obviously consciously don't want to die. I kinda doubt shellfish have that same conscious resistance to death. But I will continue not to eat them until the matter is clear to me.

2boar1sow

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
kinda has scientific explanation of anatomy

(broken link removed)
is more layman...
"The bivalve nervous system is far less centralized than in other molluscs. A pair of ganglia lie on each side of the esophagus near the mouth leading to the visceral ganglia, which innervate the posterior adductor muscle, and the pedal ganglia, which innervate the foot.

Sensory development is most prevalent in those tissues most directly exposed to the external environment, i.e., the mantle edge and siphons. Photoreceptor cells detect changes in light intensity. Tentacles on the siphons and stiffened cilia perceive touch or vibrations passing through the water. Stronger stimuli cause the valves to close rapidly, either forcing water under high pressure from the siphons or withdrawing the siphons and closing the valves tightly as a defense from predators."

My decision is not to eat them, cause however low level thought is going on in their visceral ganglia, it seems the visceral ganglia decides to close the bivalves shell so that it won't die...

2boar1sow

Cavy Slave
heabrook said:
My boyfriend is a vegetarian as well. But, He used to eat fish at times, and he said he felt better. I suggested that he try the omega oils from a non-fish source. He found that it was the omega-oils in fish that was making him feel better, but that the omega oils found in Flaxseed and Udo's oil did the same thing. I'm not sure if that will be the case for you, but let's hope so! :)
I also know a nutritionist who told me the omega oil in fish helps people feel better in a not depressed sort of way. And he said he wanted to have his son have more of this oil so that his son would feel more jovial.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Suzy_99 :

Congrats on your desire to be a vegetarian. :) If you want more info on how to do it, nutritional information, etc. etc. try PETA (www.peta.org). They have a whole thing devoted to becoming vegetarian - you can even order a free vegetarian starter kit. (broken link removed). Good luck.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Do what you have to do about the fish. Of course it'd be best if you could stop eating it, but if you try supplements, and they don't do it, it's a lot better to not eat other meat and fish occassionally. A lot better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.