Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites How to get off lice eggs?

sonicsink

Cavy Slave
I got a new baby guinea pig (4 weeks old) and once I got her home I noticed she was covered in lice. Tomorrow I'll be getting the Advantage for her, but how do I get the eggs off her? I bought a lice comb and that didn't work, plus it seemed like it hurt her when I used it. There are tonnes of eggs around the rims of her ears, not exactly an easy spot to run a comb over either. I tried picking them off and man are those suckers stubborn. I called a pet store and asked what I should do and they said to shave her bald to get rid of them!

Also I should clean out her cage before I dose her right? In case any eggs or lice is in the bedding?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Do not shave her.

Just treat with the Advantage when you get it. It will kill the new lice when they hatch. You do not have to scrape the eggs off.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Just for future problems: I would never call the petstore for advice on anything. Find a cavy savvy vet in your area (The vet list on GL is a good place to start) so you have someone knowledgeable to call in the future. Good luck with the lice! I've fought that battle on people hair with a little brother, it isn't fun.

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Pet store pigs are usually sick and missexed and pregnant. That's why we recommend adopting and not supporting pet mills/ backyard breeders.

Advantage works well. Then you can bathe her in a safe shampoo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.