Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage bigger cage needed badly!

yoyobaby03

Cavy Slave
okay so i own two guinea pigs. i love them so much and really wish i could build them a bigger cage. :weepy: at first i wanted to get them a c&c cage. i proposed the idea to my parents who do not get to things quickly.:sarcastic they've been living in a tiny pet store bought cage, which isn't what they will be staying in, trust me. so i was wondering if there were any ideas that anyone had. i'm pretty weak, but i want to know if there is any type of cage that i could build out of materials i could have around the house. my dad's an electrician so i've always got the stuff he has.

my idea:
i don't know if this is going to work. i'm new as a guinea pig owner and would really like some feedback.:eek:ptimist: so the cage they have now opens from the front and from the top. i have a big cardboard box that i was thinking i could put on top of the cage somehow. what i need to know is if this would be a safe thing to do, if they would chew through the box and what i need to use as a ramp. if this won't work, give me some ideas on what i could do instead because i really need some help here!

Last edited by a moderator:

yoyobaby03

Cavy Slave
Alright, I fixed it!

So I fixed the cage! lol My guinea pigs still haven't gotten used to the idea of the ramps. Before I had my brilliant idea, my two pigs were stuck in the pet store size cage. Uck. So my mother had given me a big cardboard box which was perfect to use. I had an idea to use the opening in the top of their cage to lead into the box if I had set that on top. I put some thought into it and came up with a better idea after looking at some pictures on this site. The cardboard box is in one side of my closet, (the other side still doesn't open but I'll figure that out later). I then cut an opening in one side and let the front door of the pet store cage come into the box acting as a ramp. I put two blankets in the bottom of the box and placed their houses and stuffed toy in there too. I covered the cage door with a peice of cardboard and a wascloth, then secured it with twisties which i made sure the guinea pigs won't be able to eat at. On the other side i did the same thing. A peice of cardboard with a washcloth over top securing it with twisties. On the inside of the pet store cage i have their water bottle, chewies, food dish and hay. It's alot bigger then before, and they really seem to like it. I have been trying to teach them to use the ramps, they've been exploring and trying it out but still haven't been brave enough to climb up the whole way. If any of you have any advice on how to get them to use the ramps please let me know. Or if you have any ideas on how to get them to stop chewing the cardboard? That would be a big help.:cheerful:
*I'll post pictures soon!*

mamazul

Cavy Slave
Re: Alright, I fixed it!

Hi yoyobaby, I suggest you get some coroplast; the piggies will not chew it ( at least not as easily!) and it will not get ruined by pee. Coroplast is not expensive, call around to sign-shops in your area. You can cut it to fit perfectly. Use the search option on this excellent forum, to learn more about cages, coro-plast and such. Regarding ramps, maybe you could put some yummy vegetable on them to lure the piggies onto them? Good luck!

mamazul

Cavy Slave
Hi yoyobaby, I suggest you spend a few days browsing this forum, and then show your parents the information you have found. Previously, I was not aware of the space, nutrition and care etc. piggies need, and I bet your parents don't either! Fortunately, in this forum, you have ( in my opinion) the best source of information possible!

xxlizzybordenxx

Cavy Slave
You can get a set of grids at bed bath and beyond for around 15 dollars. The C&C cages are cost effective and the piggies love them!

new piggie

Cavy Slave
I don't think the problem is that yoyobaby parents won't spend the money. How I took what was said is that the parents are slow about getting to things (which is what yoyobaby said). I think that this idea is a temporary solution until they get to it. Is that right yoyobaby? I think you did a wonderful job trying to use what you can to give your piggies some more room. But please let your parents know that a C&C cage would be very cheap and is really needed so your piggies don't get over weight (that will cause many health issues with your piggie and your parents many vet bills). Show them the different cages on the forum. I am a parent and when I saw some of the cages on this site I had to give our girls the space needed for them to be healthy and happy.

Last edited:

yoyobaby03

Cavy Slave
Thankyou all so much! Yes, that is what i meant too.. my parents take forever to get things done. So as of now this is just a temporary cage, I have been searching and noting to my parents the information I have found about c&c cages. I have educated my mom alot more and she is willing to do what we have to for them, considering she loves them just as much as I do. My father on the other hand has never been a fan of hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits etc. so he won't hear of it. He thinks that the petstore cage is fine.. he doesn't even know that I added on the box!
I will update you all on how it goes in a few months. Hopefully my piggies will be enoying a nice c&c cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.