PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Cage Materials

laurettabear
06-01-09, 08:12 am
I literally spent all afternoon yesterday looking for metal grids. I could not find them anywhere. I noticed that the suggested material for a chge lid is metal closet shelving (like from closet-maid). Could this same material be used for the sides of the cage?

Thanks for your help.

Laura

akstrohm
06-01-09, 09:58 am
Did you try the store locator on this site for grids? You can also order them online, and sometimes people list them on Craigslist.

You could use the closet shelving as long as the space in between the bars is small enough so a pig can't get caught in it. You will also want it to be as tall as a grid (14 inches) so the pigs can't jump out.

I would try to find the grids though, simply because you won't have to deal with cutting them to the right size, and if you change the layout of your cage, it will be much easier if you have grids.

laurettabear
06-01-09, 10:02 am
How big should the opening between the bars be so that they can't get out?

Cavies!
06-01-09, 11:02 am
The opening should be no bigger than 1.5 in. Shelving should be good if you cable tie the sides and it's at least 14 in. tall.
By the way, did you find coroplast, or are you just having trouble with the grids?

laurettabear
06-01-09, 11:08 am
I haven't looked for coroplast. We have some wood planking and linoleum flooring in our storage shed from a remodel project. I figure I could just cut the wood down to the right size and cover it with the linoleum and save some money there.

akstrohm
06-01-09, 11:13 am
I haven't looked for coroplast. We have some wood planking and linoleum flooring in our storage shed from a remodel project. I figure I could just cut the wood down to the right size and cover it with the linoleum and save some money there.

This will work, but you will probably be much happier with the coroplast. It's actually quite cheap, and it will be much easier to set up. It is also lighter and can be cut easily. If you use wood, make sure that there is no way it can get wet.

laurettabear
06-01-09, 11:18 am
You're probably right. I may end up breaking down and getting it over time, but for now I need to save all the money I can.

Cavies!
06-01-09, 11:25 am
Ok, well when you get coroplast I think most sign companies sell it, thats where I got mine. I think some hardware stores sell it too.

laurettabear
06-01-09, 11:31 am
Thanks Cavies! I'll keep that in mind. :)

laurettabear
06-01-09, 11:32 am
Update: I couldn't find grids at a store in my area, but I did find a great seller on e-bay and was able to purchase them there.

TerryLynn
06-06-09, 08:49 am
I can't find the right size ones either! Did you just search "grids" on eBay?

HavePatience
06-06-09, 08:58 am
I just got mine from Staples.com (the office supply store)
here is a link It's easy to find the Office Supplies, Copy Paper, Furniture, Ink, Toner, Cleaning Products, Electronics and Technology you need | StaplesŪ (http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesSearch?searchkey=mini+grid&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&fromUrl=home)

if that doesnt work search mini drid at staples.com

They have free shipping and came in about a week. Come in black and white and also sell the connectors.

TerryLynn
06-06-09, 10:13 am
Thanks so much! I am ordering today.

redmoon
06-13-09, 11:21 am
Hi does anyone know where to get the grids in the UK, I have looked at list for uk shops on this site and the only one seem to be Argo I have tried them and they do not have them....however I think the date for the Argos post was 2006. Anyone got any idea for now?

Thanks redmoon