Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth syringe feeding

organicsab

Cavy Slave
My piggy's top teeth have broken. So i've mushed up some timothy hay pellets and i'm grating him veggies. I read on the guinea lynx page to syringe feed water if they cant use the bottle, so i am wondering how much and how often do i give him water?
he's also got some scabs on his back, i did notice one of the piggies pulled out his hair the other day, but he's got one bigish scab, and a few small bits that havent scabbed yet so they are fresh, so i dont know if maybe he's being bullied? should i separate or do boys rip each others hair off when in a bad mood? cuz the other 3 pigs are fine, and i havent seen them do this to each other.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Are you sure he is not eating/drinking? You can cut the veggies up in strips to make it easier for him to get to the back of his mouth. One of my guys looses his front teeth regularly and this works for him. Check regularly for weight loss.
As for seperating, I think the general rule is only if blood is drawn. If he has bite marks all over him on all the time, I guess, use your best judgement. And I am sure someone else here has more experience with piggy relationships.

organicsab

Cavy Slave
i've grated veggies for him and he can eat that and i wash the veggies so theres water on them when he eats them anyways. i'll just give him water every so often with the syringe i guess, just in case. i dont know if he can use the bottle. he's in the bathtub for the night and hes got a water bottle there so i'll find out if he can drink from it. but he seems much better after eating and drinking today. he's lost 200g in one week, so i dont know how long it has been going on, i dont know if piggies can loose weight so quickly.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
200 grams is a lot. You should get his back teeth checked out by a vet. How did he loose his front teeth? He could be in some pain from it too, which would slow down his eating. I would definately see a vet and seperate.
What size cage do you have them in? Can you seperate with grids so that they can be next to each other?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I would see a vet. Are you sure the scabs and hair loss are from the other pigs and not mites?

organicsab

Cavy Slave
Well, they get revolution and non of the other pigs have scab. one pig has a little like a very small puncture mark next to his mouth. its hard to tell you have to get close up. and i never really see them scratch. we are going to the vet today. he is eating but not as much, its like he really gets into it and has his face in the bowl of grated food then all of a sudden he stops and hes had enough, so he might be in pain maybe? i cant remember the exact measurements of the cage but its bigger than recommened for 4 pigs but the way the cage is, if i put grids, one side will be two small for the other 3 pigs. I've got him in the bathrub at the moment, but i've got another cage which i have to set up which he can be in.
i really think he's not getting on with the other pigs, he's always picking at them and chuttering and that whereas the other three hardly do things like that.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
How did the vet visit go? How are things with your little guy?

organicsab

Cavy Slave
Just thought i'd update. He put on a tiny bit of weight and is maintaining that. I've been feeding him baby food thru a syringe, and water also with vitamin c in it. and the vet has been giving him baytril injections. he seems way better. sometimes hes interested in food, other times not, but i make him eat. i grate him some veggies which he'll eat himself sometimes. its been 6 days now, do teeth grow a little in that time, cuz they seem longer. i cant get a hold of critical care, but i have the phone number of the ones who distribute oxbow products around here and i was going to give them a call. i also put him out on the grass run once a day as he can eat grass and thats just extra food for him, and he enjoys that. i've separated him from the other boys. the cage is a little smallish, but its okay for now. I'll get him a bigger one when he's better and maybe even a new little baby friend so he's not alone. i must say, we've bonded quite well since i've been hand feeding him everyday, its been really nice.. sort of.. apart from him having broken teeth

Sponge

Cavy Slave
It's great to hear things are going better for your little piggie and that he has put on a little weight :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Critical care is often available from a vet. I'm glad he's doing better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.