Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is this good enough?

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
I found a 2 level C&C cage on eBay that is $60 (plus $17 shipping) that is 43x29x29... would this be ok for 2 piggies? I am having trouble finding the supplies to build my own so I think I might just bite the bullet and order one even though it may be a bit more expensive than if I bought my own materials.
And also, what do you recommend as bedding? If I use fleece, what should I put under it that will be absorbant and minimize odors? I was thinking puppy training pads but someone said those dont control the odor. Also, if I use bedding, about how much do you think I'd need for a cage the above size.. and how often does it need changed?

sealion

Cavy Slave
Your cage you bought is (if my math is correct) a 2x3 C&C cage. I think your 2 piggies will be happy in this.
For the padding under fleece, most members (including me) use towels. Members who have used puppy pads said it smelled a lot.

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
You might want to get a bigger cage if you can, especially if your two piggies are boars.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
I would go with Sealion's suggestion and use towels underneath. It can start to smell after a few days (I have two piggies, so more pee), so you will need to wash once or twice a week, but in the end it's worth it. I would suggest using big plush towels, not only for more absorption, but it will be so much more cozy for your piggies. Recently in my cage, we have started using Carefresh where they pee the most. My piggies intentionally go to one specific corner to pee, so it gets nasty fast.

3piggymomma

Cavy Slave
I think I may use paper with bedding until they establish their usual "pee spot", then switch to fleece with a litter box...

Cavies!

Cavy Slave
That cage should be big enough for two pigs, and I would use fleece with towels under.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.