Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes new guinea pig owner with some issues

jujuboy77

Cavy Slave
hello i recently purchased a young male piggy and he was sneezing after we brought him home also i noticed some minor scratching but no visible skin issues, now he has some discharge in the eyes, he eats good and is chirpy when being played with. i have followed the information found on this site about cage, bedding and diet, he eats pellets, oranges, romain lettuce and cilantro daily i keep a constand supply of timothy hay in his cage at all times. i use yesterdays news as cage floor filler, and he has a fluffy towel in his igloo for a bed area that is cleaned daily. he has a 9 sq ft single level cage. i live in a small agricultural town that has several vets but no exotic vets. am i doing somthing wrong? do i need to seek a vet? please help.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
If he was sneezing a lot and now he has discharge in his eyes this could be a possible URI. Since guinea pigs are prey animals they hide their illnesses very well. Once you start seeing signs like this you really should get him to a cavy savy vet as soon as possible.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You need to find a vet or read up on mites and URI at www.guinealynx.info and find a vet who will work with you to treat both.
Pet store pigs are usually sick with both. You may not even have a boy but a pregnant sow as they are usually missexed.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
If he was sneezing a lot and now he has discharge in his eyes this could be a possible URI. Since guinea pigs are prey animals they hide their illnesses very well. Once you start seeing signs like this you really should get him to a cavy savy vet as soon as possible.

As someone who recently and very sadly lost a pet store pig due to a URI, I definitely second this. It is worth the time to call around and find a vet who knows about guinea pigs. You might try calling your local vets and see if they know anyone around who treats guinea pigs (or they are sometimes called exotics, or pocket pets).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.