Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello *Waves*

Sarahmonster

Cavy Slave
Hi there. My name is Sarah, I'm 19, I live in Indiana with my Husband and my new Piggy Dustin. I don't have any pictures at the moment (My Digi cam eats batteries for snacks!) but you better believe I will have them soon.

I adopted Dustin from a friend who bought him for his daughter. She only visited once in a while and never gave the poor guy any attention! They were also feeding him rabbit and mice food, not the proper pellets. He had no hay in his very small pet store cage, was sitting in the basement next to a leaking air conditioner, and I just wouldn't take no for an answer!

Now hes here with me, my husband has already fallen in love and Dustin has everything he needs except for a bigger cage, and a new piggy friend. I've had him for 3 days now and the search is on. My plan for a bigger cage is to get some coroplast from Sues ebay store and then some grids from BB&B which was recomended by another user here.

I am having a hard time, however, locating a shelter or rescue near by that has guinea pigs. I've searched on Petfinder.com, craigs list, guinea pig home, and even did a search on google, and still have not found anything. If there are any other resources I am missing please let me know! I really need to adopt a new friend for Dustin as soon as possible.

Thats about it for now. I'm sure I will be a frequent poster since I'm semi new to this and want to make sure I take care of my little angel (soon to be angels) the best I possibly can!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! You certainly came to the right place for great GP care info!

I'm glad you saved Dustin, and I''m sure he and his future buddy will be well taken care of.

Another place you could check is the local classifides in your newspaper. Just make sure that you weed out the breeders that my advertize in the newspaper and craigslist. It may take a while to find the perfect piggie to adopt, but the wait it worth it. Even though it sounds like you already know not to but...Don't give up and go to a pet store!

Also, some rescues may be willing to do a piggy train to get an adoptable pig to it's forever home. The rescue i went to would only do it if she already knew you, or met you. So you may have to make a one time trip to visit, make sure you are a good match and then they an get him to you. Many people here have travelled many hours to adopt a pig in need, sometimes as much as 6-8 hours!

Good luck on your search and be sure to post some pigtures of Dustin (once your camera stops eating batteries of course!)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to GPC! Hope you enjoy the site. There's a lot to learn.

Adopting is great and if you don't find a buddy for Dustin right away don't worry. Be patient and it will be worth it. Remeber to do a three week qarantine when you bring the buddy home to.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Welcome. :) Look forward to seeing some pictures of Dustin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.