Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Maybe she just has a jelly belly...

Lauren K

Cavy Slave
I adopted my two ~ 7 month old piggies from a pet store about 6 months ago. We were told that they were both females. One (Seras) of them occasionally will follow the other (Charlie) around and mount her. I believed this to be a gesture of dominance. Yesterday and today Charlie let us pet her without bucking and running away. This is not typical behavior for her. She also seems sensitive about her stomach, which is bulging slightly. She is still eating, drinking, and moving about like normal. I'm not an expert but I checked Seras as best I could and I still think she's a girl.

After 6 months of being together, can Charlie be pregnant by Seras? I thought if she was going to get pregnant at all, it would have happened a lot sooner than this. Any ideas on what else could be happening?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Lauren

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
First thing is if you got them from a pet store you bought you didn't adopt. With that being said they could have been missexed and you could easily have one male and one female. They can get pregnant anytime, sooner or later. Have they been to a cavy savy vet? They can properly sex them and then you would know for sure if you have a chunky piggie or in fact a pregnant pig. Good Luck!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
First thing is if you got them from a pet store you bought you didn't adopt. With that being said they could have been missexed and you could easily have one male and one female. They can get pregnant anytime, sooner or later. Have they been to a cavy savy vet? They can properly sex them and then you would know for sure if you have a chunky piggie or in fact a pregnant pig. Good Luck!

I adopted mine from a petstore. They were dropped off there by someone who didn't want them. I didn't buy them, they gave them to me with their little cage and all.

Ok, I 2nd bringing them to a vet to double check them. Just to be sure.

Lauren K

Cavy Slave
It's a little complicated, but I did actually adopt them from the pet store.

I originally bought Charlie from Petsmart. I took her home and found she had ringworm on her back leg under her fur. I took her back to the store and officially returned her. I adopted her back that day after signing a form stating that I knew she had medical issues. The vet at the Banfield Hospital in the store supplied me with the medicine and instructions for care. It took a little while but she's all healed now.

Seras was born in the store and store policy wouldn't allow them to sell her, so I adopted her as well. I kept them apart until Charlie was healthy again and haven't had any issues since.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I adopted mine from a petstore. They were dropped off there by someone who didn't want them. I didn't buy them, they gave them to me with their little cage and all.

I understand that but because her piggies were about 4 weeks old when she brought them home it seems like the odds are that they were bought.

Like I said earlier though you should get them sexed by a vet. It can be tricky.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.